re front disc brake

Gadgetman

Guest
Hi, just had a home mini front disc brake system fitted, have ridden about 20 miles or so off road
so far but still get quite a high pitched squeal. Will this settle down or does it need adjustments
or possible cleaning?

On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:14:13 +0100, Gadgetman did issue forth:

> Hi, just had a home mini front disc brake system fitted, have ridden about 20 miles or so off road
> so far but still get quite a high pitched squeal. Will this settle down or does it need
> adjustments or possible cleaning?

The Hope Mini is getting a similar reputation to the XT V-brake. Stops you well, but makes a lot of
noise about it.

The best solution I've found so far is to smear copper grease on the *back* of the pads, which seems
to shut it up until the grease washes out.

I guess that putting copper grease on the braking surface would quieten them down too, but I've
never tried that.

--
Huw "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek" Pritchard

"Gadgetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, just had a home mini front disc brake system fitted, have ridden about 20 miles or so off road
> so far but still get quite a high pitched squeal. Will this settle down or does it need
> adjustments or possible cleaning?

Get some EBC Green pads from your lbs. Stops the squeal.

Mike - at least till they get wet.

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:14:13 +0100, Gadgetman did issue forth:
>
> > Hi, just had a home mini front disc brake system fitted, have ridden
about
> > 20 miles or so off road so far but still get quite a high pitched
squeal.
> > Will this settle down or does it need adjustments or possible cleaning?
>
> The Hope Mini is getting a similar reputation to the XT V-brake. Stops you well, but makes a lot
> of noise about it.

Not mine - all I had was a fairly quiet deep growl/howl in the wet, the occasional short lived
squeel, and now when wet, an occasional quiet "sssssshhhhiiiinnggggg" or whistle. They're a damned
site quieter than the other discs I hear on club rides.

> The best solution I've found so far is to smear copper grease on the *back* of the pads, which
> seems to shut it up until the grease washes out.
>
> I guess that putting copper grease on the braking surface would quieten them down too, but I've
> never tried that.
>
> --
> Huw "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek" Pritchard

Just bung some mud on the rotors - that should shut them up for a while as it helps bed and deglaze
the surfaces.

Shaun aRe

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Gadgetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi, just had a home mini front disc brake system fitted, have ridden about 20 miles or so off road
>>so far but still get quite a high pitched squeal. Will this settle down or does it need
>>adjustments or possible cleaning?
>>

> Get some EBC Green pads from your lbs. Stops the squeal.
>
> Mike - at least till they get wet.

EBC's a good idea; I also agree with green, but try some mud. There was probably some protective oil
on the rotor that didn't get cleaned off when they were installed. Mud will scour this off and any
tenacious film left behind. I use fine mud with no stones (stones get in the holes in the rotor and
gouge the pads -- not a show stopper, but I try to prevent it). Apply a thin layer (you can go
thick, but I haven't seen it help any) and brake/ride. Repeat as necessary :). Sometimes a godd
heating by lightly braking on a long downhill helps too. In a pinch, I take some dirt and add water
from my hydration pak to make mud.

AND, when you clean your bike -- especially your chain -- you now need to be careful not to spray
water from the chain side or it may carry oil from the chain to your rotor. Instant squeel and
sometimes a decrease in braking. When I forget and do this, mud fixes it :). I also made a disc
cover from an old plastic lid that I put between the wheel and the disc when I clean my chain.

David