shimano IG chain

Kelling

Guest
hi,

i bought a new crank for my old mountain bike, and on the large chainring it says: "shimano IG
chain only"

how critical is this? i don't know what kind of chain it is, but it's new enough (barely stretched
at all going by the 12" link to link check) that i'd rather not buy a new chain if i don't have to.

is there some simple articulation of what my chain should or should not look like in order for it to
be compatible? or is there something on my old crank i should look for? my old crank has 'flat'
chainrings - no 'ramps' for quicker shifting. the new cranks' chainrings have these 'ramps'. the
chain came off of a bike with 'ramps' and worked fine as far as i know.

is the IG refering to those 'ramps'?

thanks,

david

(Kelling) wrote:

> hi,
>
> i bought a new crank for my old mountain bike, and on the large chainring it says: "shimano IG
> chain only"
>
> how critical is this? i don't know what kind of chain it is, but it's new enough (barely
> stretched at all going by the 12" link to link check) that i'd rather not buy a new chain if i
> don't have to.
>
> is there some simple articulation of what my chain should or should not look like in order for it
> to be compatible? or is there something on my old crank i should look for? my old crank has 'flat'
> chainrings - no 'ramps' for quicker shifting. the new cranks' chainrings have these 'ramps'. the
> chain came off of a bike with 'ramps' and worked fine as far as i know.
>
> is the IG refering to those 'ramps'?

Ah Interactive Glide, we harly knew ye.

IG was a successor to Hyperglide, with ramp cuts on both sides of the sprocket:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#interactive

IG has quietly disappeared from the current offerings, but for most puposes, it is compatible with
HG stuff, and by extension with most current aftermarket chains (SRAM, Taya, etc.).

I wouldn't worry about it; as long as you have a Hyperglide cassette now, your front shifting
should be fine.

Kelling <[email protected]> wrote:
: hi,

: i bought a new crank for my old mountain bike, and on the large chainring it says: "shimano IG
: chain only"

: how critical is this? i don't know what kind of chain it is, but it's new enough (barely
: stretched at all going by the 12" link to link check) that i'd rather not buy a new chain if i
: don't have to.

IG front rings don't care what chain is on them. They work fine. I use a cheap pc48 Sram chain
(10.00) on my old Trek 930 with STX IG rings and it works fine.

Bob Masse' [email protected]