Cycling plod gets drunk driver

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
See <http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_779837.html?menu=news.latestheadlines>

"Drink-driver caught by police on bicycles

A drink-driver who was caught after police chased his car on bicycles has been jailed.

James Watts, 37, who was three times over the limit, crashed into three cars during the 40mph
pursuit through Oxford, Thames Valley Police said.

He was sentenced yesterday at Oxford Crown Court to four months in prison after pleading guilty to
dangerous driving and drink-driving. He was also disqualified for three years.

The pursuit began when Watts, a builder from Sandford-upon-Thames, refused to put on his seat-belt
when told to by the officers on April 5.

They chased him on bikes from Cowley Road, east Oxford, through several streets before his Ford
Escort collided with the vehicles.

The court heard Watts nearly collided with one of the officers during the chase through the city's
busy roads.

Story filed: 14:59 Tuesday 13th May 2003"

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> typed:
> See

<http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_779837.html?menu=news.latestheadlines>

> "Drink-driver caught by police on bicycles
>
> A drink-driver who was caught after police chased his car on bicycles has been jailed.
>
> James Watts, 37, who was three times over the limit, crashed into three cars during the 40mph
> pursuit through Oxford, Thames Valley Police said.
>
> He was sentenced yesterday at Oxford Crown Court to four months in prison after pleading guilty to
> dangerous driving and drink-driving. He was also disqualified for three years.
>
> The pursuit began when Watts, a builder from Sandford-upon-Thames,
b> refused to put on his seat-belt when told to by the officers on April
> 5.
>
> They chased him on bikes from Cowley Road, east Oxford, through several streets before his Ford
> Escort collided with the vehicles.
>
> The court heard Watts nearly collided with one of the officers during the chase through the city's
> busy roads.

I saw this on TVP website today - well done to the cops that they got this scum, but I am somewhat
sceptical about the *40mph* figure. TVP usually use mountain bikes, and with the exception of one
former CID officer few of them are racers.

I wonder if the chase started off with panda cars; they lost the drunk driver in the pursuit;
however officers on bikes (wwould have heard the pursuit on their radios) headed him off as he came
towards the more built up part of Oxford?

If they did *really* get 40mph on MTB's I would be interested to know their techniques!

Alex

For goodnress sake man!!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story

--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:

>If they did *really* get 40mph on MTB's I would be interested to know their techniques!

I once managed 51.5mph on my MTB.
--
remove remove to reply

Ah well, clearly a tremendous tailwind then!

--
Drop Dead if you want to reply personally David Damerell wrote in message ...
>Wainwright <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Perhaps the chase was downhill
>
>The Cowley Road area's gently rolling at most.
>--
>David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

"Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...

> No *need* to exaggerate - in this case it just detracts from an otherwise possible story,
> especially if read by younger people and/or those who would not normally have a high opinion of
> the Police due to previous incidents where they have exaggerated stuff (such as the "threat"
> caused to society by such things as raves, hippies etc....)

Bitter, Alex, bitter.

:)

--
Dave...