Insync Suspension Forks

Frank

Guest
I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync Grinds and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any
one have experience with it? I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so
hope this will do the job well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp

Frank Vancouver, BC

On Thu, 15 May 2003 03:16:28 +0000, Frank did issue forth:

> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync Grinds and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any
> one have experience with it? I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so
> hope this will do the job well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

--
Huw Pritchard

Frank <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync
Grinds
> and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any one have experience with
it?
> I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so hope this will do the job
> well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp
>
> Frank Vancouver, BC

this fork is made by suntour (a parts manufacturer originating from Taiwan) no adjustably and no
spare parts ride em till they break and replace them.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync
Grinds
> and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any one have experience with
it?
> I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so hope this will do the job
> well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp
>
> Frank Vancouver, BC

A rigid fork would be better and safer. No damping adjustment or control just makes for a dangerous
pogo stick of a fork. A good suspension fork would cost almost as much as that whole bike.

But the bike is a good value by this comparison

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/compare/compare.jsp?bike1=1172200&bike2= 1016600&bike3=null

Heck you don't even get a fork with the Diesel. ;^)

Mike

Bye, bye, bye! :)

(Sorry I couldn't resist!)

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync
Grinds
> and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any one have experience with
it?
> I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so hope this will do the job
> well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp
>
> Frank Vancouver, BC

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync
Grinds
> and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any one have experience with
it?
> I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so hope this will do the
> job well.

Probably fine for light riding. Not state of the art, but probably better than came on my 95 Moab
and they never failed.

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Trek 4100 a few weeks back. I'm new to biking. While shopping around I mostly saw RST
> shocks, RockShox. This Trek came with Insync
Grinds
> and I haven't seen it in any bikes before. Any one have experience with
it?
> I'm just a recreational rider hit'n the light trails on weekends so hope this will do the job
> well. http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/mountain/4100.jsp

Pay no attention to these XTR33M (extreme) riders, Frank. They think a fork has to cost $500+ in
order to be rideable.

The InSync fork will work just fine. If Trek puts it on their bikes, then it's a good fork. Don't
expect it to last forever; but it should provide a few years of good service,. Light trail riding is
exactly what this fork was designed for.

Another response said that the InSync fork is unsafe. Wrong. Millions of cyclists ride undamped
coil-sprung forks like the InSync, and have been doing so for over a decade. Damping (using oil, or
other means) is a good thing; but it's not required. The shock forks on *most* sub-$600 bikes are
undamped - essentially just a coil spring suspension.

A high-quality oil-damped fork is a beautiful thing, and something you might consider as an upgrade
later. PricePoint.com has the very nice Manitou SXE oil-damped fork on sale for $75 right now (red
color only). It would be a substantial upgrade, and is very easy to install (takes about 10 minutes
and a 5mm Allen wrench/hex key) I highly recommend Manitou forks.

Have fun with your new Trek bike!

Barry