Ultegra - 105 - Tiagra

Burak Ilter

Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
difference or am I missing the point completely?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Burak

http://www.usenet.com

"Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
> triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
> bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
> What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
> difference or am I missing the point completely?

Well, other racers will look down their noses at you if you don't use at
least 105 :).

The minimal weight difference is, apparently, the main difference.

Since you're using this as a tri-bike, will you configure the bike with
aerobars? Will you use "barcon" shifters on the aerobars, or road-bike
"brifteurs"?

If there is one thing you deserve to be warned against, it's the odd
bottom bracket choices on these three component sets:

-Tiagra uses a square-taper BB, which sorta works okay for small people
like me, and sorta doesn't work very well for very long for many large
or powerful people.

-105 currently uses the Shimano "Hollowtech" splined BB. For various
reasons, this BB is ill-starred and on its way out. 2005 may be the last
year that any Shimano group uses it. If possible, I would choose an
ISIS-standard crank and BB (many makers sell road-bike cranks using ISIS
splines).

Ultegra used to use the Hollowtech BB, but as of 2005 is using the
"Hollowtech II" pinch-bolt BB. this appears to be a vastly superior
drive setup to the old Hollowtech stuff.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
> >
> > Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
> > triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
> > bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
> > What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
> > difference or am I missing the point completely?

> Well, other racers will look down their noses at you if you don't use at
> least 105 :).
>
> The minimal weight difference is, apparently, the main difference.
>
> Since you're using this as a tri-bike, will you configure the bike with
> aerobars? Will you use "barcon" shifters on the aerobars, or road-bike
> "brifteurs"?
>
> If there is one thing you deserve to be warned against, it's the odd
> bottom bracket choices on these three component sets:
>
> -Tiagra uses a square-taper BB, which sorta works okay for small people
> like me, and sorta doesn't work very well for very long for many large
> or powerful people.
>
> -105 currently uses the Shimano "Hollowtech" splined BB. For various
> reasons, this BB is ill-starred and on its way out. 2005 may be the last
> year that any Shimano group uses it. If possible, I would choose an
> ISIS-standard crank and BB (many makers sell road-bike cranks using ISIS
> splines).
>
> Ultegra used to use the Hollowtech BB, but as of 2005 is using the
> "Hollowtech II" pinch-bolt BB. this appears to be a vastly superior
> drive setup to the old Hollowtech stuff.

I agree with everything above. The tiagra crank seems to be a bit
bellow the others as far as design. I would avoid it. The rest of the
group is ok. I personaly ride a mix of tiagra & 105 & it has worked
great for 2 years. I'm very pleased. Keep in mind i only ride for fun
& fitness. If i did much racing i might think different. The weight
diff. in the 3 groups is not much.

Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
> What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
> difference or am I missing the point completely?

The Tiagra hub is significantly worse than the 105, which is nearly as good
as the Ultegra.

Thanks for the answers, I will compare the part weights for the sets from
the Shimano site and select according to the prices I get. And I will choose
the crank with your tips' help.

Since I am just planning to complete the race, I will not care what the
others think. And for the same reason I am not planning to use aero-bars, in
case I would give-up triathlon racing and bike just for fun and fitness.

http://www.usenet.com

"Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:412d8020
@post.usenet.com:
> Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
> triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
> bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?

Are you buying the component group to install on a frame, or are you buying a
complete bike? If you're buying components, I'd go with at least 105. The
price difference over Tiagra isn't that much, but the components will
function more smoothly. If you're buying a complete bike, remember that the
price difference between levels also goes to upgraded forks and wheels.
Those often have a bigger performance impact than the other components.

> Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
> triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
> bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
> What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
> difference or am I missing the point completely?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Burak

You are paying for more than just the weight difference with 105 vs.
Tiagra. Tiagra is not designed as a racing group, and shares less of
Shimano's high-end technology than the 105. IOW, Tiagra won't last as
long and won't function as well while you have it.

I don't have any personal experience with Tiagra or 105, but think you
will be much happier if you get the 105 instead of the Tiagra. I
don't think the difference between ultegra and 105 is very large.

[email protected] (Eric Lambi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You are paying for more than just the weight difference with 105 vs.
> Tiagra. Tiagra is not designed as a racing group, and shares less of
> Shimano's high-end technology than the 105. IOW, Tiagra won't last as
> long and won't function as well while you have it.

Really, how so? Aside from aesthetics and weight, how, specifically is
tiagra not as reliable, or will not perform as well as 105? Metal
quality will result in components wearing out faster? Finish will
prevent components from engaging properly? Since you don't have
expereince with either, have you read any research that supports your
claim? Have other riders specifically told you that tiagra wears out
faster than 105?

Andres

"Burak Ilter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Thanks for the answers, I will compare the part weights for the sets from
> the Shimano site and select according to the prices I get. And I will choose
> the crank with your tips' help.
>
> Since I am just planning to complete the race, I will not care what the
> others think. And for the same reason I am not planning to use aero-bars, in
> case I would give-up triathlon racing and bike just for fun and fitness.

Not sure where you are located but in the United States, you can
probably buy a complete bike cheaper than the bike kit, i.e. house
brand AL frame with Ultegra or 105 from Performancebike, Colorado
Cyclist, .. Sell the frame or use it as a spare.

Burak Ilter wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
>Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
>triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
>bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
>What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
>difference or am I missing the point completely?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

Use the cheapest, other expenses are incurred for racing and training.
Don't get caught out and only being able to recoup 1/4 of your spent money
should you not enjoy this abysmal sport.

Trevor

> Not sure where you are located but in the United States, you can
> probably buy a complete bike cheaper than the bike kit, i.e. house
> brand AL frame with Ultegra or 105 from Performancebike, Colorado
> Cyclist, .. Sell the frame or use it as a spare.

I just toss those **** frames into the dumpster.

If you have to go buy the components to put on the frame (ie, you miss
out on The Great OEM Give-Away), consider Centaur or even Veloce as well.

Burak Ilter wrote:
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Hi, I am planning to buy a racing bike since I am planning to do my first
> triathlon next season. But I do not want to invest an awesome money to the
> bike. So here is my question: Should I use an Ultegra set or 105 or Tiagra?
> What do I lose if I use Tiagra, which is cheaper? What is the weight
> difference or am I missing the point completely?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

RM-<< If you have to go buy the components to put on the frame (ie, you miss
out on The Great OEM Give-Away), consider Centaur or even Veloce as well.
>><BR><BR>

Agree. If I were racing again(and I'm not), I would use a well fitting frameset
fitted with a mix of Mirage(levers, ders), Veloce(brakes, cogset) and
Centaur(hubs, BB, crank). Cuz if this Cat 4 crashed in the weekly Cat 4
bloodbath, cheaper to repair/replace is better. The weight differences for this
..1 offa otn guy wouldn't mean squat.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> RM-<< If you have to go buy the components to put on the frame (ie, you miss
> out on The Great OEM Give-Away), consider Centaur or even Veloce as well.
> >><BR><BR>

> Agree. If I were racing again(and I'm not), I would use a well fitting frameset
> fitted with a mix of Mirage(levers, ders), Veloce(brakes, cogset) and
> Centaur(hubs, BB, crank). Cuz if this Cat 4 crashed in the weekly Cat 4
> bloodbath, cheaper to repair/replace is better. The weight differences for this
> .1 offa otn guy wouldn't mean squat.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Those are very wise choices. If you race chances are you will crash.