or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Replacement for the FC-M570 Shimano Crank

post #1 of 5
What are my choices for a new square taper 170mm crank?
I would like to stay in the same price range as my
Shimano FC-M570.

I want to continue to use a 68x110 UN-72/3 bottom bracket.

Thanks!
post #2 of 5

Re: Replacement for the FC-M570 Shimano Crank

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:52:01 GMT, "Tommy Taylor"
<taylor1529@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>What are my choices for a new square taper 170mm crank?
>I would like to stay in the same price range as my
>Shimano FC-M570.
>
>I want to continue to use a 68x110 UN-72/3 bottom bracket.
>
>Thanks!

Er, why? Do you have a box full of UN72 BBs to use up?
There's plenty to choose below your LX level in square
taper (FSA, Truvativ or Shimano), but you're just swapping
to an inferior crank for the sake of not switching to a
splined BB.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary
post #3 of 5

Re: Replacement for the FC-M570 Shimano Crank

> Er, why? Do you have a box full of UN72 BBs to use up?
> There's plenty to choose below your LX level in square
> taper (FSA, Truvativ or Shimano), but you're just swapping
> to an inferior crank for the sake of not switching to a
> splined BB.
>

> Kinky Cowboy*

I do have one spare UN72. I'm running 2 bikes with UN72s and
M570 cranks. I kind of enjoy wearing out chains, cassettes,
and chain rings.

So, if I get a current LX-M572 crank, and I guess the ES-51
is the bottom bracket. What size bottom bracket do I get? I
am currently using a UN72 68x110?

Thanks!
post #4 of 5

Re: Replacement for the FC-M570 Shimano Crank

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:40:44 GMT, "Tommy Taylor"
<taylor1529@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>> Er, why? Do you have a box full of UN72 BBs to use up?
>> There's plenty to choose below your LX level in square
>> taper (FSA, Truvativ or Shimano), but you're just
>> swapping to an inferior crank for the sake of not
>> switching to a splined BB.
>>

>> Kinky Cowboy*
>
>I do have one spare UN72. I'm running 2 bikes with UN72s
>and M570 cranks. I kind of enjoy wearing out chains,
>cassettes, and chain rings.
>
>So, if I get a current LX-M572 crank, and I guess the ES-51
>is the bottom bracket. What size bottom bracket do I get? I
>am currently using a UN72 68x110?
>
>Thanks!

Sound like you could use a 68/113, as you're alreading using
a short BB, but note that this will probably mean your
granny ring fixing bolts run slightly inboard of the outer
face of the BB shell. Not usually a problem with thin steel
chainstays, but have a close look before comittting
yourself. Just checked Shimano(Europe) website and they
still list M570 cranks in 4 or 5 arm as current product, so
it looks like you still have that choice.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your
milage may vary
post #5 of 5

Re: Replacement for the FC-M570 Shimano Crank

> Sound like you could use a 68/113, as you're alreading
> using a short BB, but note that this will probably mean
> your granny ring fixing bolts run slightly inboard of the
> outer face of the BB shell. Not usually a problem with
> thin steel chainstays, but have a close look before
> comittting yourself. Just checked Shimano(Europe) website
> and they still list M570 cranks in 4 or 5 arm as current
> product, so it looks like you still have that choice.
>

> Kinky Cowboy*

Thanks Kinky Cowboy*!

I think that a 68x113 will work. I found the documentation
that came with my frame, a Santa Cruz Superlight and it
specified 68x113. I think that I'll be safe with an LX
FCM571 and an ES51 V2 Spline bottom bracket. It seems that
in computers and bicycles, stuff becomes obsolete in less
than 3 years. I may continue to swap out small and medium
chain rings until the crank croaks.

Sheldon Brown has a database that is also out of date
but useful.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home