or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Loose chain on kids bike

post #1 of 2
"Mike" <littleboyblu87@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3e7445e7.0405292352.56d8c42e@posting.google.com...
> My little brother thought it would be fun to take his bike
> apart and then put it back together.

It IS fun! I do it all the time, especially in the winter.

> Now the problem is that the chain is loose. I can't figure
> out what happened and how to fix this. The bike is a
> regular kids bike, meaning it's very simple and has the
> rear brakes only. So how do I get the chain tightened?

The bike has horizontal dropouts like so:

http://tinyurl.com/36t85

Just loosen the bolts, and pull the wheel back until the
chain isn't loose anymore.

You can find more detailed instructions here:

http://tinyurl.com/3bedr

Read chapter 26. It would be a good idea too to read the
rest of the chapters as well ... hell, print them out
and give them to your brother too before he looses all
his teeth.

C.Q.C.
post #2 of 2

Re: Loose chain on kids bike

Mike wrote:

> My little brother thought it would be fun to take his bike
> apart and then put it back together. Now the problem is
> that the chain is loose. I can't figure out what happened
> and how to fix this. The bike is a regular kids bike,
> meaning it's very simple and has the rear brakes only. So
> how do I get the chain tightened?

Loosen the rear wheel nuts and pull the wheel back in the
frame. Check that there are no excessively tight spots
afterwards. If there are, something is out-of-round. On
track bikes, which use the same system, it's not unusual to
spend ages messing with the chainring bolts to get the ring
perfectly concentric with the bottom bracket, so there are
no tight spots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment