or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Taking Citrucel daily, can one have too much fibre?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taking Citrucel daily, can one have too much fibre?

post #1 of 2
Firstly I should say that I have no problems with
'regularity' or any need for a laxative product, but just to
add some fibre to my diet i have been taking a glass of
Citrucel almost daily. I am aware that the best way to add
fibre is to simply eat more fruits/vegetables etc, and I do
in fact eat a lot of these, however I simply wanted another
source as well. so mu question to the group is: Is this type
of product bad to consume on a regular basis? essentially,
is there an inherent issue with fibre in this form that is
bad for me long-term? the instructions say not to take it
for longer than a week, and according to their website the
logic is really because if you have a problem that persists
that long, you should seek the advice of a professional.
That makes sense, but I have no such problems and like the
flavour of the drink and like the added fibre in my diet.
should I be concerned or is it safe to continue? thanks.
post #2 of 2

Re: Taking Citrucel daily, can one have too much fibre?

Rimsey Mimblerod <rimseymimblerod-nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<evecb05oqua6uiho34g4h31d9og5uo7rg5@4ax.com>...
> Firstly I should say that I have no problems with
> 'regularity' or any need for a laxative product, but just
> to add some fibre to my diet i have been taking a glass of
> Citrucel almost daily. I am aware that the best way to add
> fibre is to simply eat more fruits/vegetables etc, and I
> do in fact eat a lot of these, however I simply wanted
> another source as well. so mu question to the group is: Is
> this type of product bad to consume on a regular basis?
> essentially, is there an inherent issue with fibre in this
> form that is bad for me long-term? the instructions say
> not to take it for longer than a week, and according to
> their website the logic is really because if you have a
> problem that persists that long, you should seek the
> advice of a professional. That makes sense, but I have no
> such problems and like the flavour of the drink and like
> the added fibre in my diet. should I be concerned or is it
> safe to continue? thanks.

It has been suggested that undigestable fibre may irritate
and scratch up the GI tract leading to possible infection
and other problems as well as the long-term possibility of
various cancers such as colon cancer.

TC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home