Ortlieb pannier attachments

Kit Wolf

Guest
Just a quick query about fitting Ortlieb panniers...

I was looking at the Ortlieb roller-panniers in EBC recently, and I wasn't
sure how best to fit them to my panniers (Bor-Yueh). There were two
problems:

1) How do you stop the panniers sliding forwards and backwards along the
panniers? The clips/handle don't spread wide enough apart to touch both
ends of the rack simultaneously. On my rack there is only one cross-bar,
and it's in the middle so I don't think this is much help.

2) Should the open end of the lower clip be towards the front or the back
of the rack, or does it not really matter? I figure that the clip should
be pointing forwards, so that if you brake hard the bolt pushes against
the leg of the pannier rack

I had a look at other racks, and for the most part there were the same two
problems. I know many people swear by Ortlieb panniers and they seem very
well thought out in other respects, so my guess is that I'm either missing
something obvious or I'm being over-finickity. Which is it?!

Thanks in advance,

Kit

> I had a look at other racks, and for the most part there were the same
> two problems. I know many people swear by Ortlieb panniers and they
> seem very well thought out in other respects, so my guess is that I'm
> either missing something obvious or I'm being over-finickity. Which is
> it?!

Over finickity I think. Thought the same thing when I got mine but
haven't had a problem with them. Have the panniers as far back as possible
on the rack, so put the wossname thing to stop them sliding forwards, if
that makes sense.

Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> Just a quick query about fitting Ortlieb panniers...
>
> I was looking at the Ortlieb roller-panniers in EBC recently, and I
> wasn't sure how best to fit them to my panniers (Bor-Yueh). There were
> two problems:
>
> 1) How do you stop the panniers sliding forwards and backwards along
> the panniers? The clips/handle don't spread wide enough apart to touch
> both ends of the rack simultaneously. On my rack there is only one
> cross-bar, and it's in the middle so I don't think this is much help.
>
> 2) Should the open end of the lower clip be towards the front or the
> back of the rack, or does it not really matter? I figure that the clip
> should be pointing forwards, so that if you brake hard the bolt pushes
> against the leg of the pannier rack
>
> I had a look at other racks, and for the most part there were the same
> two problems. I know many people swear by Ortlieb panniers and they
> seem very well thought out in other respects, so my guess is that I'm
> either missing something obvious or I'm being over-finickity. Which is
> it?!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kit

I've got a set of Ortlieb Rear roller panniers, and a Bor-Yeuh rack. I
have the panniers set up so that the bottom clip faces left and clips
onto the middle rack support.

I've adjusted the pannier hooks so that the left one is just after the
rear bend in the rack, and the right one fits just after the middle rack
support.

However the hooks are a bit of a loose fit as the rack is I think 8mm
diameter so I'm going to pad the rack out a little bit using some
innertube and cableties, should also increase the grip too.

Only problem I had with this combination of rack & panniers was that I
wasn't getting enough heel clearance - so I made a little rack extender
out of a right angle repair bracket:

http://tinyurl.com/6w29j

Anyway, I'm happy with the panniers, although they could do with a
compression strap if they aren't used at full capacity.

Regards

--
Brian

> Only problem I had with this combination of rack & panniers was that I
> wasn't getting enough heel clearance - so I made a little rack extender
> out of a right angle repair bracket:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6w29j

Tho for any googlers wondering if they'll have this problem, this guy does
have size 13 feet!

In article <[email protected]>,
Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just a quick query about fitting Ortlieb panniers...

Hi Kit,

- Slide the rear handle clip (or whatever it's called) as far to the
front as possible and fix it. This positions the bag to the rear and
gives maximum foot room. (Not required for all bike and foot sizes.)

- Clip the pannier onto the rack and slide it back as much as possible.
The rear handle clip should be just in front of and touching the rear
tube, which will prevent the bag from sliding backwards.

- Turn the open end of the lower clip towards the front. Position the
clip such that it sits just behind (and holds onto) one of the vertical
tubes of your rack (usually the middle one). This will prevent the
pannier from sliding forwards.

- Fix the front handle clip at a convenient position, e.g. just before
the middle cross bar, if possible, or at the front of the slot to give a
maximum distance between the clips.

- You attach the bag by first sliding the bottom clip into position,
then clicking in the top clips. Detachment vice versa.

I hope this helps. I use my Ortliebs for daily commutes and longer
tours and have never had a problem with them.

Good luck, Karen
--
remove underscore and seven from my email address

Kit Wolf wrote:

KW> Just a quick query about fitting Ortlieb panniers...

KW> I was looking at the Ortlieb roller- panniers in EBC recently, and I
KW> wasn't sure how best to fit them to my panniers (Bor-Yueh). There were
KW> two problems:

KW> 1) How do you stop the panniers sliding forwards and backwards along
KW> the panniers? The clips/handle don't spread wide enough apart to touch
KW> both ends of the rack simultaneously. On my rack there is only one
KW> cross- bar, and it's in the middle so I don't think this is much help.

KW> 2) Should the open end of the lower clip be towards the front or the
KW> back of the rack, or does it not really matter? I figure that the clip
KW> should be pointing forwards, so that if you brake hard the bolt pushes
KW> against the leg of the pannier rack

KW> I had a look at other racks, and for the most part there were the same
KW> two problems. I know many people swear by Ortlieb panniers and they
KW> seem very well thought out in other respects, so my guess is that I'm
KW> either missing something obvious or I'm being over-finickity. Which is
KW> it?!

You are right about the positioning of 2. This will stop them sliding
forwards, even when fully loaded with a week's shopping in my experience.

Steph Peters
delete invalid from <[email protected]>

On 10 Sep 2004, Brian wrote:

> Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:p[email protected]:
>
> > Just a quick query about fitting Ortlieb panniers...
> >
> > I was looking at the Ortlieb roller-panniers in EBC recently, and I
> > wasn't sure how best to fit them to my panniers (Bor-Yueh). There were
> > two problems:
> >
> > 1) How do you stop the panniers sliding forwards and backwards along
> > the panniers? The clips/handle don't spread wide enough apart to touch
> > both ends of the rack simultaneously. On my rack there is only one
> > cross-bar, and it's in the middle so I don't think this is much help.
> >
> > 2) Should the open end of the lower clip be towards the front or the
> > back of the rack, or does it not really matter? I figure that the clip
> > should be pointing forwards, so that if you brake hard the bolt pushes
> > against the leg of the pannier rack
> >
> > I had a look at other racks, and for the most part there were the same
> > two problems. I know many people swear by Ortlieb panniers and they
> > seem very well thought out in other respects, so my guess is that I'm
> > either missing something obvious or I'm being over-finickity. Which is
> > it?!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Kit
> >

> I've got a set of Ortlieb Rear roller panniers, and a Bor-Yeuh rack. I
> have the panniers set up so that the bottom clip faces left and clips
> onto the middle rack support.

I went back to the shop and found that I really could not do this with my
rack and the basic version of the panniers. They did work on a Bor-Yueh
rack they had for sale in the shop, but not on my one. The reason is that
on my rack the rear-stays are angled inwards relative to the vertical
stays. This meant that the clip could not fit comfortably round both the
vertical and rear stays at the same time. My rack was the only one I could
find that had this problem.

> I've adjusted the pannier hooks so that the left one is just after the
> rear bend in the rack, and the right one fits just after the middle rack
> support.
>
> However the hooks are a bit of a loose fit as the rack is I think 8mm
> diameter so I'm going to pad the rack out a little bit using some
> innertube and cableties, should also increase the grip too.
>
> Only problem I had with this combination of rack & panniers was that I
> wasn't getting enough heel clearance - so I made a little rack extender
> out of a right angle repair bracket:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6w29j
>
> Anyway, I'm happy with the panniers, although they could do with a
> compression strap if they aren't used at full capacity.

I managed to get the deluxe version of the panniers to fit, as the bottom
mount could be moved higher so that the clip could fit between the
vertical and the angled stays rather than behind them... Hope that makes
sense without a picture?!

The problem with the top-clips remained, but according to other mails in
this thread this shouldn't be a problem. The deluxe panniers are very
expensive, so I'm having a think.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,

Kit

Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> I managed to get the deluxe version of the panniers to fit, as the
> bottom mount could be moved higher so that the clip could fit between
> the vertical and the angled stays rather than behind them... Hope that
> makes sense without a picture?!
>
> The problem with the top-clips remained, but according to other mails
> in this thread this shouldn't be a problem. The deluxe panniers are
> very expensive, so I'm having a think.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,
>
> Kit

Of course, you could have kept the rear roller classic panniers, and
changed the rack, which may have worked out cheaper!

Strange though,on my Bor Yeuh rack I can fit the bottom clip in between the
rear and vertical stay, and clip around the vertical stay...

In anycase you do have a decent sent of panniers, so enjoy them!

--
Brian

On 14 Sep 2004, Brian wrote:

> Kit Wolf <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:p[email protected]:
>

> > I managed to get the deluxe version of the panniers to fit, as the
> > bottom mount could be moved higher so that the clip could fit between
> > the vertical and the angled stays rather than behind them... Hope that
> > makes sense without a picture?!
> >
> > The problem with the top-clips remained, but according to other mails
> > in this thread this shouldn't be a problem. The deluxe panniers are
> > very expensive, so I'm having a think.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,
> >
> > Kit
> >

> Of course, you could have kept the rear roller classic panniers, and
> changed the rack, which may have worked out cheaper!

I did think of this, but the racks in the shops that fit didn't have a
mount for my rear dynamo light, as the current one does.

> Strange though,on my Bor Yeuh rack I can fit the bottom clip in between the
> rear and vertical stay, and clip around the vertical stay...

Hope it didn't sound like I was contradicting you - you could do this with
the racks in the shops where the stays were spaced differently. I think I
just drew the short straw.

I spent the best part of 2 hours trying various combinations of racks and
panniers and generally cluttering the shop up. Another reason offline
shops are a good thing.

Kit