or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to buy Tapioca Starch

post #1 of 9
Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
get it at?

P.S. It seems silly to order online and pay $5 shipping for
a dollar item.
post #2 of 9

Re: Where to buy Tapioca Starch

On 8 Jun 2004 08:32:46 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com (MC) wrote:

>Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
>grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
>get it at?

Asian grocers, or sometimes in the ethnic isles of regular
grocery stores. They're not usually shelved with the regular
baking flours.

-sw
post #3 of 9

MC wrote:

> Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
> grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
> get it at?
>

> P.S. It seems silly to order online and pay $5 shipping
> for a dollar item.

Is there an Asian market anywhere near you?

---jkb

--
"No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!"

-- Stewie Griffin
post #4 of 9

Re: Where to buy Tapioca Starch

In article
<289a46d0.0406080732.5b051191@posting.google.com>,
michaeljc70@hotmail.com says...
> Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
> grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
> get it at?
>

> P.S. It seems silly to order online and pay $5 shipping
> for a dollar item.

You can normally find it at any store that has a reasonable
bulk bin food department. If you've got a Whole Foods
nearby, try there.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2004 08:32:46 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com
> (MC) wrote:
>

>>Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
>>grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
>>get it at?
>

> Asian grocers, or sometimes in the ethnic isles of regular
> grocery stores. They're not usually shelved with the
> regular baking flours.
>
> -sw

I was recently in an Asian market looking for, among
other things, water chestnut flour. The starches/flours
aisle is amazing. I never knew there was such a thing as
green bean flour.

--Charlene

--
A tranquil woman can go on sewing longer than an angry man
can go on fuming. -- George Bernard Shaw

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
post #6 of 9

Re: Where to buy Tapioca Starch

I tried Whole Foods and no luck. I tried a couple of other
grocery stores and they didn't have it either. The closest I
came was tapioca that was already cooked for pudding.

Donna Rose <dSPAM@BLOCKix.netcom.com> wrote in message news-
:<MPG.1b2fdaabf08783c0989795@news.west.earthlink.net>...
> In article
> <289a46d0.0406080732.5b051191@posting.google.com>,
> michaeljc70@hotmail.com says...
> > Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
> > grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
> > get it at?
> >

> > P.S. It seems silly to order online and pay $5 shipping
> > for a dollar item.
> >
> You can normally find it at any store that has a
> reasonable bulk bin food department. If you've got a Whole
> Foods nearby, try there.
post #7 of 9

Re: Where to buy Tapioca Starch

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:18:08 GMT, Charlene Charette
<neitherhere@northere.com> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 8 Jun 2004 08:32:46 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com
>> (MC) wrote:
>>

>>>Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
>>>grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
>>>get it at?
>>

>> Asian grocers, or sometimes in the ethnic isles of
>> regular grocery stores. They're not usually shelved with
>> the regular baking flours.
>
>I was recently in an Asian market looking for, among
>other things, water chestnut flour. The starches/flours
>aisle is amazing. I never knew there was such a thing as
>green bean flour.

The green bean flour is really mung bean flour, not the
common green beans we know too well here in the states. Used
in Korean and Malaysian dishes (mung bean pancakes - yum)

-sw
post #8 of 9

"MC" <michaeljc70@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I tried Whole Foods and no luck. I tried a couple of other
> grocery stores and they didn't have it either. The closest
> I came was tapioca that was already cooked for pudding.

Tapioca starch is something I keep on hand and use
frequently. I have only been able to find it in Asian
grocery stores - Chinese, Thai or Filipino. It is packaged
in plastic bags and is very inexpensive.
post #9 of 9

On 9 Jun 2004 17:05:37 -0700, michaeljc70@hotmail.com (MC) wrote:

>I tried Whole Foods and no luck. I tried a couple of other
>grocery stores and they didn't have it either. The closest
>I came was tapioca that was already cooked for pudding.
>
>Donna Rose <dSPAM@BLOCKix.netcom.com> wrote in message new-
>s:<MPG.1b2fdaabf08783c0989795@news.west.earthlink.net>...
>> In article
>> <289a46d0.0406080732.5b051191@posting.google.com>,
>> michaeljc70@hotmail.com says...
>> > Is tapioca starch something you can find at a regular
>> > grocery store? If not, what kind of local store can you
>> > get it at?
>> >

>> > P.S. It seems silly to order online and pay $5 shipping
>> > for a dollar item.
>> >
>> You can normally find it at any store that has a
>> reasonable bulk bin food department. If you've got a
>> Whole Foods nearby, try there.

Also look for as "tapioca flour".

TB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: