24 or 26 muni

1

1mthead

Guest
I am a relatively new unicycler, after a few months I can static
mount, steer (just!) and ride for several hundred meters 'til my legs
give up. This is getting better but I think I am at a stage when I
should upgrade from a 20 inch learner to something bigger. I am 5'7"
and cycle everyday so I am quite strong.

I am considering a 24" or 26" Muni. I reckon I'm more likely to be
covering smooth off-road trails with my kids in tow (or me in tow)
rather than technical mountain paths.

Is a 26" much harder to ride than a 24" or is it just a case of
getting used to it?
Does a 26" rule out steeper gradients?
Is a 24" noticeably slower than a 26" over distance?
Is there anything else I should consider?

Many thanks

mt

On 22 Sep 2004 06:59:06 -0700, [email protected] (1mthead)
wrote:

>I am a relatively new unicycler, after a few months I can static
>mount, steer (just!) and ride for several hundred meters 'til my legs
>give up. This is getting better but I think I am at a stage when I
>should upgrade from a 20 inch learner to something bigger. I am 5'7"
>and cycle everyday so I am quite strong.
>
>I am considering a 24" or 26" Muni. I reckon I'm more likely to be
>covering smooth off-road trails with my kids in tow (or me in tow)
>rather than technical mountain paths.
>
>Is a 26" much harder to ride than a 24" or is it just a case of
>getting used to it?
>Does a 26" rule out steeper gradients?
>Is a 24" noticeably slower than a 26" over distance?
>Is there anything else I should consider?

My usual advice for a general MUni would be 24 x 3". If you would
mostly ride with your kids, are they on bikes? Then a 26" might be a
better choice (for speed), unless they are very young and hence slow.
Are you sure your kids would like to ride their bikes on "smooth
offroad trails" often enough to warrant a specific MUni purchase?

As to your questions: a 26" in itself is not harder to ride than a
24". Freemounting may be a bit more difficult but hardly so. With the
same cranks, a 26" cannot go the very steep grades that the 24" still
can, but the difference is not that large. And since you are quite
strong, you will probably be able to ride up steeper grades than your
kids anyway (after some more riding experience). 24" slowness: again
not very much difference. A 26" wheel is generally somewhat weaker
than a 24" but for your intended use it may not be an issue.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

Thanks for the advice.

My oldest kids are 5 and 6, one is not bicycling yet and the other one
is, we go to the countryside quite alot and he always wants to take
his bike. I expect soon to be going on forest trails and that sort of
thing but nothing too far, too fast or too steep for a while.

I can't see me doing much on road apart from getting to and from the
local park so I guess 24 is the best choice. I will look into the cost
of getting one with a frame that can take a bigger wheel if I
eventually change my mind.

Thanks

mt

If you don't want to do technical stuff, seriously consider a Coker or a
29.

Either of these will do a lot of quite technical stuff anyway, but they
are at their best on forest trails, river banks, bridleways and so on -
just the sort of places to ride with the kids on their small bikes.

For MUni, as in proper MUni as hard as you can make it, then a 24 with a
fat tyre would be preferable to a 26. For cross country, as opposed to
MUNi, a 26 is a bit of an inbetweeny size. Big wheels roll over rough
ground, and big wheels go faster... and once you can get on, it's easier
to stay on.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Everyone should be fatuous for 15 minutes.

If you are undecided about 24 vs 26, then 26 has a much better selection
of tires, and they are more widely available. Unless you are doing
very, very technical Muni, 26 is better IMHO.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

1mthead wrote:
> * I reckon I'm more likely to be
> covering smooth off-road trails with my kids in tow (or me in tow)
> rather than technical mountain paths. *

I suggest the 29. It is quite versatile and can go fast enough to keep
up with kids on bikes, generally speaking.

It really all depends on terrain. We can't tell from your bio where
you're located. Is it Idaho or Kansas? Hawaii or Alabama? I use my 24 x
3 MUni only on the steepest crazy stuff. The 29er on most crosscountry
is comfortable. I can still use it to hop over little stuff. It goes up
and down hill fine. Cokers are fun, but not as manouverable. More or
less a one (or two) trick pony. Get on, stay on, go fast with less
effort. Good fun.

The diff in speed between 24 and 26 can easily be made up with crank
length and/or technique. A 29 will average faster and still is easy to
go slow, twist, hop, play around. We're doing a tire test on the 29ers
these days. Do a search for "29er" for a plethora of info. Also do a
search for "26 inch", there will be less for that one, I think.

I think you're just looking for your NEXT unicycle purchase, not your
LAST unicycle purchase. They're exactly like golf clubs. You don't want
to use your Driver in a Sandtrap. You wouldn't enjoy putting off the
tee. Each has a purpose. You put 14 clubs in your bag. I've got 6
significantly different unicycles because they're all fun...but
differently.

--if 24 and 26 are only choices, then I agree with U-turn. 26.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Why not order a Yuni or Nimbus 24x3 and pay an extra $10 to upgrade to a
26" frame? I did this so that the 24x3 Gazz tire would have plenty of
top clearance. Then you could experience a 24x3 and always build up a
26" wheelset later

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

A 24 KH with a Gaz is effectively a 26 Muni. But if you're basically
going to stick with fire roads and forest paths, you might get the
cheapest 26-inch MUni frame available and jut go with a cheap MT bike
tire.

Fact is, a KH 24/Gaz set up (or one like it) is required only for super
technical (rocks, drops, et al) stuff which is quite a different
activity than what most folks do or want to do.

JL

--
vivalargo - TurboMUnieers, Charter Member
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

http://tinyurl.com/63gqp

you will find the search function really helpful with these sorts of
questions... thanks gilby!

(you're not the first to ask this question, and some of the previous
posts to similar threads might help you decide)

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

The word gullible is written above my avatar!
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

I recently made the 24" or 26" decision. I went for the 26" for the
higher top speed, but I've learned to appreciate the benefits of the
24": better agility and easier climbing. The 26x3" tire has more rubber
and mass to swing around when you want to turn. You may not be hitting
the technical stuff now, but I bet you will head that direction after
you get a taste of muni. I'm also 5'7". I say go for the 24x3". Wear leg
armor.

-Reid

--
reidj - Looking for a uni-basketball game
reidj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5755

Wow, haven't looked for a few days and suddenly loads of relpies.
Many thanks for all the advice.
BTW I live in Leeds in Yorkshire in the north of England, not too far
from Cumbria (Lake District) many of you will have heard of.
I thought this would be a commonly asked question, and expected
different answers. The concesus seems to be 'go bigger' and his was
the decision I headed toward aswell so yesterday I received my brand
new Nimbus 26" and built it last night. I will be riding it for the
first time tonight, it looks huge in the kitchen and I'm sure I will
be back to basics for a while. Looks a bit scary actually, but so did
my 20" when I first got it.

mt

On 29 Sep 2004 06:59:25 -0700, (1mthead) wrote:

>Wow, haven't looked for a few days and suddenly loads of relpies.

That's probably because the gateway between the Usenet newsgroup and
the forum is working for the moment (knocks on wood). After about a
week of non-functioning I emailed Gilby about it, but I don't know if
it's a result of his acting.

(My reply was via Usenet.)

Have fun with your big toy!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"