Aldi offers

BillScarab

Guest
Popped into Aldi today to get some bits and bobs but they didn't have
any of the long sleeved jerseys they were advertising. I don't think
they had sold out as they weren't on the pricelist either. Has anyone
else found this or is it just the Redditch store ?
I decided to try their clipless shoes and pedals, the pedals don't
look that great and are fairly heavy but they'll do to experiment
with, the shoes look OK. I expect to be spending some time falling
over in the park at the weekend while I try and get used to them.

regards
Bill

On 23 Sep 2004 05:27:48 -0700, BillScarab <[email protected]> wrote:
> I decided to try their clipless shoes and pedals, the pedals don't
> look that great and are fairly heavy but they'll do to experiment
> with, the shoes look OK. I expect to be spending some time falling
> over in the park at the weekend while I try and get used to them.

It looks like an Aldi trip all round. I went into town first to
get some money, and then cycled out to Aldi. I got lulled into
taking the long way round by a following wind and turned up a little
later than expected.

I got the shoes and pedals, bound to be better than the platform
pedals I already have. At first I couldn't find the pedals at all
even though there was a big pile of shoes so I asked a passing
Aldi worker and she pointed me at the last remaining two (in a big
wire basket of crappy lights). She said that they had had far more
shoes delivered than pedals - it sounded like they had only a dozen
or so pairs of pedals actually delivered to the shop.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

>Popped into Aldi today to get some bits and bobs but they didn't have
>any of the long sleeved jerseys they were advertising.

I went to Aldi in King's Lynn and they had an excellent selection of all the
advertised stuff, plus some short-sleeved jerseys & shorts, presumably left
over from the last cycling offer week. I got one of the winter cycling jackets
as it came in my favourite colour for cycle wear - bright yellow.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

>>Popped into Aldi today to get some bits and bobs but they didn't have
>>any of the long sleeved jerseys they were advertising.

>I went to Aldi in King's Lynn and they had an excellent selection of all the
>advertised stuff, plus some short-sleeved jerseys & shorts, presumably left
>over from the last cycling offer week. I got one of the winter cycling jackets
>as it came in my favourite colour for cycle wear - bright yellow.

Cambridge at lunchtime had a reasonable selection, but no pedals (or none
left) and chains where the armoured bike lock was supposed to be (not bike
chains, padlock and chain chains (and padlocks elsewhere).
I looked at what seemed to be the last pair of waterproof trousers left
and decided against them. I was tempted by the jacket, but decided what
I've already got is fine.

And, at the risk of starting another helmet thread, what do people think of
the helmets? If one's children are going to wear helmets, being probably more
likely to be involved in low speed falls of the type where a helmet might
be useful, is a 3.99 helmet from Aldi as good as any, or should one stick
to a recognized brand? I wasn't terribly convinced by the "one size fits
from 4 years old to young adult" claims of the easy adjust headband.

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_3922.html

[email protected] (Alan Braggins) writes:

> And, at the risk of starting another helmet thread, what do people think of
> the helmets? If one's children are going to wear helmets, being probably more
> likely to be involved in low speed falls of the type where a helmet might
> be useful, is a 3.99 helmet from Aldi as good as any, or should one stick
> to a recognized brand? I wasn't terribly convinced by the "one size fits
> from 4 years old to young adult" claims of the easy adjust headband.

My guess is that if the fit's OK, then one bit of foam's as good as
another. Possibly cheap ones are better as there's more foam there.

"BillScarab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Popped into Aldi today to get some bits and bobs but they didn't have
> any of the long sleeved jerseys they were advertising. I don't think
> they had sold out as they weren't on the pricelist either. Has anyone
> else found this or is it just the Redditch store ?
> I decided to try their clipless shoes and pedals, the pedals don't
> look that great and are fairly heavy but they'll do to experiment
> with, the shoes look OK. I expect to be spending some time falling
> over in the park at the weekend while I try and get used to them.
>
> regards
> Bill

No shirts or waterproof trousers in Yiewsley (West London) either, just
after they opened. Heard an assistant tell someone they hadn't had a full
delivery.

> I got one of
> the winter cycling jackets

I bought one of those last year; looked promising but turned out to be
utterly useless. It just makes me sweat like mad, even in winter.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>
> > I got one of
> > the winter cycling jackets

> I bought one of those last year; looked promising but turned out to be
> utterly useless. It just makes me sweat like mad, even in winter.

I just got one, looks like it could be a bit sweaty but fine for taking the
bike to work on the train and saves grovelling in back pockets for season
ticket.
I thought the pedals looked pretty awful, Wellgo combination ones for £15
are a better bet.

>I bought one of those last year; looked promising but turned out to be
>utterly useless. It just makes me sweat like mad, even in winter.

I got one last year and it's absolutely fine for me.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

> I got one last year and it's absolutely fine for me.

Must be me then.

>Must be me then.

Or me ;-)

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

"Simonb" <[email protected]> of wrote:

>dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>
>> I got one last year and it's absolutely fine for me.

>Must be me then.

No, just us overheating types. I tried one on in Aldi yesterday, and was
far too hot with it just over a T shirt. Even in midwinter this wouldn't
work for me, because I'd have to remove underlayers to put on something this
warm. I didn't buy one.

Could have used some shoes, but no women's sizes. All in all a pretty
useless trip for cycling stuff, so I got the ingredients for red onion
potato and brie bake for tea as consolation.

--
All meanings, we know, depend on the key of interpretation. George Eliot
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid

Simonb said:

> I got one last year and it's absolutely fine for me.

Must be me then.
I tried on the large one, a tent; settled on the medium one. Having ridden it home it as also a tent, but can't beleive a small one will fit; do they shrink in the wash? also fairly useless against wind, but will do for the winter, commuting by bike+train you tend to use disposable clothes (and bikes)