Opening combination bike locks

Lewis Campbell

Guest
I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
have the combination.

It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.

Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.

Thanks.

Lewis.

go to a hatdware or lockstore if it is a known lock with serial. they'll
have abook

news:[email protected]...

Lewis Campbell wrote:

> I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
> have the combination.
>
> It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
> considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.

With the nasty cheap ones you can often feel the dials stick at the
correct position. I don't have any experince of "good" combination locks .

On 24 Sep 2004 12:03:56 -0700, [email protected] (Lewis Campbell)
wrote:

>I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
>have the combination.
>
>It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
>considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
>Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lewis.

Howdy,

I can't help directly, but...

If you get 'em opened, consider scratching the combination on them in
some sort of simple code. The words "MANUSCRIPT" and "PAWNBROKER" each
have ten non repeated letters. I throw in a few extra letters so that
on the side of each of my locks one might see something like this:

WNBR
KERP
KORB
NNOO
BBBW

I figure that anyone who can decipher that while I am in the diner
eating a piece of pie deserves a new bike...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

> I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
> have the combination.
>
> It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
> considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.

If it's the type which has several slotted disks it can usually be opened by pulling hard on the lock and then move the disks one by
one and leave each in the position which gives the least friction. You can also try the first disk in each possible position and
feel if the friction for the other disks increases, if it does you propably have the correct combination for the first disk
etcetera.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
> have the combination.
>
> It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
> considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lewis.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:24:00 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Lewis Campbell wrote:
>
>> I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
>> have the combination.
>>
>> It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
>> considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>>
>> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.

>With the nasty cheap ones you can often feel the dials stick at the
>correct position. I don't have any experince of "good" combination locks .

With the type they use on school lockers in the old days, you could pry the
back off and then with a flashlight, look through the holes underneath and
see the notches line up. Don't know if modern combo locks still have this
config.

-B

Campbell) wrote:

>I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
>have the combination.
>
>It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
>considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
>Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lewis.

Dear Lewis,

Are they padlocks with a single dial on the front, or
pull-apart locks that have half-a-dozen dials?

Carl Fogel

> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination
> that works well.

A few years ago, my son forgot the combination to his new lock, so he
asked some of his school classmates how to get it open, and one of them
knew a kid who knew a kid who, for a dollar, opened it in about twenty
seconds. Maybe you should consider asking the neighbourhood schoolkids
if they know someone similar.

Kenneth <[email protected]> writes:

> On 24 Sep 2004 12:03:56 -0700, [email protected] (Lewis Campbell)
> wrote:
>
> >I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
> >have the combination.
> >
> >It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
> >considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
> >
> >Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Lewis.

> Howdy,
>
> I can't help directly, but...
>
> If you get 'em opened, consider scratching the combination on them in
> some sort of simple code. The words "MANUSCRIPT" and "PAWNBROKER" each
> have ten non repeated letters. I throw in a few extra letters so that
> on the side of each of my locks one might see something like this:
>
> WNBR
> KERP
> KORB
> NNOO
> BBBW
>
> I figure that anyone who can decipher that while I am in the diner
> eating a piece of pie deserves a new bike...

I have a couple of those combination locks like people use on lockers.
I scratched the combination in the side in binary using small filled
and open circles, so for 22-33-27 it would look something like:

0X0XX0
X0000X
0XX0XX

wrote:

>I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
>have the combination.
>
>It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
>considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
>Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Lewis.

Howdy,

I can't help directly, but...

If you get 'em opened, consider scratching the combination on them in
some sort of simple code. The words "MANUSCRIPT" and "PAWNBROKER" each
have ten non repeated letters. I throw in a few extra letters so that
on the side of each of my locks one might see something like this:

WNBR
KERP
KORB
NNOO
BBBW

I figure that anyone who can decipher that while I am in the diner
eating a piece of pie deserves a new bike...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

I've stilll got a lock attached to a gym bag a decade after I forgot the combination.

Lewis Campbell said:
I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
have the combination.

It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.

Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.

Thanks.

Lewis.

I had the face fall off one combination lock when I dropped it. Never able to reopen, good thing it was loose and not on the bike/chain.

Another bike I borrowed a lock (not the chain) for another bike.
subsequently, I noticed my chain was stolen.

[email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I found 5 combination locks on my workbench yesterday for which I do not
> have the combination.
>
> It seems that I once opened a lock like this by 'fiddling' with it but,
> considering all the possible combinations, maybe I just got lucky that time.
>
> Do any of you have a method of determining the combination that works well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lewis.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

1 lock is a Master, 2 are Guard, the rest are 'no name'.

They are not high dollar locks but they have worked well for my bike
cable, gym locker, tool box, etc., so I hate to just throw them away.

I'll try the suggested methods and see what happens.

Thanks.

Lewis.