Watts?

JTN wrote:
> 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
> after about 20 meters.....

Literally, in this case ;)

--
Perre

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
> after about 20 meters.....

A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example, I once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred
around a ~1 mile criterium course in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily
because of his better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always win
hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a race, and while I don't recall
the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never would have been staged.

Andy Coggan

JTN wrote:

> 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
> after about 20 meters.....

They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had the misfortune to catch recently.
He raced a 100m sprint against a giraffe and against a zebra.

The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra kicked his butt(not literally), but
interestingly it only beat the sprinter's PB by
1/1000th of a second. STF

In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

> JTN wrote:
>
> > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
> > ass after about 20 meters.....
>
> They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had the misfortune to catch recently.
> He raced a 100m sprint against a giraffe and against a zebra.
>
> The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra kicked his butt(not literally),
> but interestingly it only beat the sprinter's PB by
> 1/1000th of a second.

Lack of motivation. Let a lion chase the animals and the runner and then see who's fastest.

We have a saying in scuba diving. If a shark comes after you you don't need to outswim the shark,
just your buddy.

-WG

I remember seeing races against track sprinters against horses and one time against a drag racer.
The track sprinter won against everyone in
1/10th mile except some big 7 foot guy who was the world's fastest "walker".

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:230520031721000447%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > JTN wrote:
> >
> > > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the
horse. it
> > > would have kicked his ass after about 20 meters.....
> >
> > They had some American sprinter (runner) on a TV show that I had
the
> > misfortune to catch recently. He raced a 100m sprint against a
giraffe
> > and against a zebra.
> >
> > The giraffe lost it halfway through so he won easily. The zebra
kicked his
> > butt(not literally), but interestingly it only beat the sprinter's
PB by
> > 1/1000th of a second.
>
> Lack of motivation. Let a lion chase the animals and the runner and then see who's fastest.
>
> We have a saying in scuba diving. If a shark comes after you you
don't
> need to outswim the shark, just your buddy.
>
> -WG

> "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
> > ass after about 20 meters.....
>
> A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
> nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example,
> once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred around a ~1 mile criterium
course
> in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily because of
his
> better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always
win
> hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a
race,
> and while I don't recall the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never
> would have been staged.

"staged" being the operative word!

Hawke

> Andy Coggan

Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead out
against that!

> "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his
> > ass after about 20 meters.....
>
> A number of horse vs. bicycle rider races have been staged over the years, with the result not
> nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. For example,
> once saw John Howard races a thoroughbred around a ~1 mile criterium
course
> in Covington, Kentucky - from a dead-start, Howard won easily because of
his
> better cornering ability. Even on a dirt track the horse doesn't always
win
> hands-down...I know that Jackie Simes III once participated in such a
race,
> and while I don't recall the outcome, I'm sure that if it had been completely lop-sided it never
> would have been staged.
>
> Andy Coggan

---

Jim Martin wrote:
> Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead out
> against that!

"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles. If there's a breakaway 45 seconds ahead with 7 miles to go at the
end of a flat stage, I think a pro peloton can match the antelope. At least in terms of speed
if not VO2 max.

Dem bikes is cool.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jim Martin wrote:
> > Pronghorn antelope: VO2 max ~ 300 ml/kg, can run 11km in 10 min. Lets see the pro pelton lead
> > out against that!
>
> "Only" 36 mph for 7 miles. If there's a breakaway 45 seconds ahead with 7 miles to go at the end
> of a flat stage, I think a pro peloton can match the antelope. At least in terms of speed if not
> VO2 max.

But unlike the peloton the antelope can still turn 90 degrees if it's raining.

-WG

On Sun, 25 May 2003 16:49:31 -0600, Raptor wrote:
>Jim Martin wrote:
>> 11km in 10 min.
>
>"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.

1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 745.7watts= 1 hp.....so now you know why cipo didn't race the horse. it would have kicked his ass
> after about 20 meters.....

Not even. The horse weighs much more. I'll bet Cipo's power to weight ratio is higher (better
acceleration) - a longer course would guarantee victory the horse, a very short course would favor
the human.

> On Sun, 25 May 2003 16:49:31 -0600, Raptor wrote:
> >Jim Martin wrote:
> >> 11km in 10 min.
> >
> >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
>
> 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.

I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?

I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of the
sprint stages this Giro...

In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for a minute or so in (very!)
nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.

Peter

On Mon, 26 May 2003 10:32:03 +0100, Peter Allen wrote:
>in (very!) nice conditions

That's the crux.

"Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
> >
> > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
>
> I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?

If it's flat and there's no wind, then holding that speed for 11 km is very difficult, even for a
big bunch. However, a tailwind can make all the difference, as well as a good fast road.

> I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
> the sprint stages this Giro...

Don't remember that - which stage? If so, it would have only been on a serious descent before
the finish.

> In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for
> minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.

I've done that too (well, 63 km/h for more than a sprint), but it was with a nice tailwind on a
flat, smooth section of road. Doesn't really mean much, as the wind is a critical factor in cycling.

cheers, Jeff

"Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > >"Only" 36 mph for 7 miles.
> >
> > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
>
> I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
>
> I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
> the sprint stages this Giro...
>
> In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40 for
> minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at all sure you're right.
>
> Peter

40 what, watts or KPH?

Hawke

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N9uAa.732031$OV.674849@rwcrnsc54...

> "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > 1 mile = 1.61 km. 11 km/10 min = 66 km/h = 41 mph. No pro peloton will do that for 7 miles.
> >
> > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
> >
> > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
> > the sprint stages this Giro...
> >
> > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40
for
> > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at
all
> > sure you're right.
> >
> > Peter
>
> 40 what, watts or KPH?

Miles per hour. I'm not quite that **** - 40 watts is about 8 miles an hour on the flat, isn't it?

Yes, this was with a nice tail wind, on a nice smooth road.

Since someone wanted reference to the Giro thing, stage 5:

16:41 CEST / 8 km to go The peloton is absolutely flying now, with a possible tailwind combined with
the increasingly frantic pace before the sprint. Speeds have hit almost 90km/h at certain points.
Lotto-Domo and FDJeux.com are mixing it at the front, while Cipollini's Domina Vacanze squad is
preferring to wait until the final charge to get their train going.

was what I was referring to.

Peter

"Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N9uAa.732031$OV.674849@rwcrnsc54...
> >
> > "Peter Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > I'd have thought that would be possible enough given nice conditions?
> > >
> > > I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one
> > > of the sprint stages this Giro...
> > >
> > > In any case, me, who is by no means anywhere close to pro, can hit 40
> for
> > > minute or so in (very!) nice conditions on a flat road, so I'm not at
> all
> > > sure you're right.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > 40 what, watts or KPH?
> >

> Miles per hour. I'm not quite that **** - 40 watts is about 8 miles an
hour
> on the flat, isn't it?
>
> Yes, this was with a nice tail wind, on a nice smooth road.
>
> Since someone wanted reference to the Giro thing, stage 5:
>
> 16:41 CEST / 8 km to go The peloton is absolutely flying now, with a possible tailwind combined
with
> the increasingly frantic pace before the sprint. Speeds have hit almost 90km/h at certain points.
> Lotto-Domo and FDJeux.com are mixing it at the front, while Cipollini's Domina Vacanze squad is
> preferring to wait until the final charge to get their train going.
>
> was what I was referring to.
>
> Peter

Oh, just pulling your chain a little. <g

>I think cyclingnews was saying the peloton was hitting 90kph at points towards the end of one of
>the sprint stages this Giro...

Must have been downhill.