Mini V Brakes on a road bike

Terry Cooke

Guest
I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site, they
say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

They work well. Slightly more attention to wheel true and cable adjustment
will keep everyone happy.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Terry Cooke <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
> say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
> Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

"Terry Cooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
> say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
> Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I don't like 'em. They have just a bit too much mechanical advantage for my
taste, i.e. the pads don't travel very far, so they need to be very close to
the rim, and when they do contact the rim, their breaking power increases
quite suddenly.

Another problem is that the low brake cable will prevent using a large tire,
and will interfere with fenders. I'd imagine that these options would be of
value in a road bike with these type of brake mounts.

This of course will vary depending upon the frame geometry and location of
the pivots. Canti's, set up properly
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html), will modulate
much better, and give you more room. I'm using Diatech mini-max's, so
perhaps the Tektro's are better.

If you still end up wanting mini-V's, I have an extra DiaTech (same company
as Dia-Comp) that I can sell you.

Kyle

"Terry Cooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site, they
> say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
> Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I'm just curious. What is wrong with road brakes? (I presume the
frame and fork have the necessary braze ons for V brakes.)

"Ed Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm just curious. What is wrong with road brakes? (I presume the
> frame and fork have the necessary braze ons for V brakes.)

I'm just back to riding the last couple of years after a longer layoff than
I care to mention. The Galli sprinter sidepulls that were totally awesome
back when I weighed 165lbs are pretty marginal at my present 192. I put V
brakes on my commuter bike (a 65 Moulton) and they work great. I have been
mooting a replacement for my Reynolds 531 Trek racing frame, and thought I
would stick with steel, so why not mini V brakes? Terry

Terry Cooke wrote:

> I'm just back to riding the last couple of years after a longer layoff than
> I care to mention. The Galli sprinter sidepulls that were totally awesome
> back when I weighed 165lbs are pretty marginal at my present 192.

Try just changing the pads.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

"Terry Cooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site, they
> say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
> Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I have a touring bike set up with Tektro Mini Vs and Campy Centaur
levers and am satisfied with them. As a previous poster noted they do
need to be set fairly close requiring very true wheels.
This year we purchase a tandem and have it set up with Avid Shorty
canti brakes with Campy Chorus levers. The brake clearances are not as
critacal as the mini Vs and they do provide good feel/braking. Also
they do allow plenty of clearance for larger tires and/or fenders.
Charlie Myer

> Try just changing the pads.
>
> --
> My bike blog:
> http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

I was using the Shimano pads with the plastic holder (105?) but I sent a
small pile of loot to Sheldon, and just put on new Kool Stops with the metal
holder for road bikes. I'm going on a ride in just a bit, so I will see how
they do. Terry

"Terry Cooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
> say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable. Do
> Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

I had them on a tandem and they were a pain to keep adjusted and they didn't
feel as good as any medium quality sidepull. You had to keep them very
close to the rims and they didn't center automatically after use. If a
sidepull gives you enough clearance for tires, mud and fenders then use
them.

Bruce

"Bruce Frech" <bfrech@no_spam_verizon.net> wrote:

>I had them on a tandem and they were a pain to keep adjusted and they didn't
>feel as good as any medium quality sidepull. You had to keep them very
>close to the rims and they didn't center automatically after use. If a
>sidepull gives you enough clearance for tires, mud and fenders then use
>them.

BTW, I have canti brakes on the tandem I've had for almost 20 years,
and I've never, ever been thrilled with them. At best, they've been
adequate, at worst - scary.

I just built up the first Habby tandem prototype, and decided to go
with sidepulls. I've read (and written) about the fact that it's all
mechanical advantage - and that quality dual-pivot calipers have
plenty of mechanical advantage.

Well, I'm here to announce that I don't think I'll EVER have a tandem
with cantis on it again (unless I need really, really fat rubber
and/or fenders). The brakes (particularly the rear brake) is SO much
better on the new tandem that it's not even a contest. Dual pivot
sidepulls rule, doods.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Bruce Frech" <bfrech@no_spam_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >I had them on a tandem and they were a pain to keep adjusted and they didn't
> >feel as good as any medium quality sidepull. You had to keep them very
> >close to the rims and they didn't center automatically after use. If a
> >sidepull gives you enough clearance for tires, mud and fenders then use
> >them.

> BTW, I have canti brakes on the tandem I've had for almost 20 years,
> and I've never, ever been thrilled with them. At best, they've been
> adequate, at worst - scary.
>
> I just built up the first Habby tandem prototype, and decided to go
> with sidepulls. I've read (and written) about the fact that it's all
> mechanical advantage - and that quality dual-pivot calipers have
> plenty of mechanical advantage.
>
> Well, I'm here to announce that I don't think I'll EVER have a tandem
> with cantis on it again (unless I need really, really fat rubber
> and/or fenders). The brakes (particularly the rear brake) is SO much
> better on the new tandem that it's not even a contest. Dual pivot
> sidepulls rule, doods.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

I can't comment on the sidepulls, but I agree totally with your canti
views. In my case, Tektro miniV's were a huge improvement (and you do
have to keep your wheels true so you don't notice them wobbling all over
the place, but I would think anybody reading this ng would do that
anyway).

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>BTW, I have canti brakes on the tandem I've had for almost 20 years,
>and I've never, ever been thrilled with them. At best, they've been
>adequate, at worst - scary.

Huh. We found cantilevers more than adequate - including some emergency
braking - although admittedly with a Suntour SE in the rear.

"Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Terry Cooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I am thinking about what I would like on my next road bike, and I am
> > seriously thinking about mini V brakes. Looking at the Tektro web site,

they
> > say that the brakes will work with any lever that pulls 16mm of cable.

Do
> > Campy Ergo levers qualify? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. Terry

> I have a touring bike set up with Tektro Mini Vs and Campy Centaur
> levers and am satisfied with them. As a previous poster noted they do
> need to be set fairly close requiring very true wheels.
> This year we purchase a tandem and have it set up with Avid Shorty
> canti brakes with Campy Chorus levers. The brake clearances are not as
> critacal as the mini Vs and they do provide good feel/braking. Also
> they do allow plenty of clearance for larger tires and/or fenders.
> Charlie Myer

Looking into the matter a little further, I see that I can either have
Dia-Compe 287-V aero levers that pull more cable and use bar end shifters or
use Travel agents with brifters. I am specing out a road sport bike, so I
don't care about fenders. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Terry