LCC Awards

Tim Henderson

Guest
Was all set to leave for the LCC AGM and awards tonight - and then
found that "London Cyclist" had arrived in the post - which told me
that it took place last night !!

Tried to find the award winners on the LCC site without luck - but
then found that Bikebiz (??) had posted a news story (below).

Well done, Barry for Dunwich, Southwark BMX track and all.....

Regards,
Tim

'Marketing Cycling' wins LCC 'Oscar'
The Borough of Ealing received a Special Commendation in London
Cycling Campaign's annual award scheme for its start-to-finish cycling
initiative, ‘Marketing Cycling’. This is aimed at both
children and adults that incorporates cycle parking, cycle training,
workplace information and bike buddy schemes. The judges praised the
joined-up thinking in Ealing’s approach.

Other top honours in this year’s LCC London Cycling Awards went
to a BMX track in Southwark.

The Burgess Park track in Southwark, a severely run down part of
London, was largely designed and built by local youngsters, and now
several hundred of them enjoy the use of the BMX and dirt bike track
each week.

Barry Mason, a London cycling activist who also won an award for the
London Cycling Personality of the Year, described the Burgess Park
facility as “an example of a community project that refused to
get bogged down in consultants and bureaucracy, one that will grow in
several directions."

The Borough of Tower Hamlets won the award for Best Cycle Facility for
Young People or Children. Their bike skills youth training scheme has
involved more than 650 children who can now enjoy cycling to local
parks, Epping Forest and school sports days.

The winner in the category Best Cycle Facility was Royal Borough of
Kingston on Thames for a new cycle parking scheme at Surbiton Station.
The scheme was funded by Transport for London and makes best use of
available space by using double-decker cycle racks.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:11:54 -0700, Tim Henderson wrote:

> Tried to find the award winners on the LCC site without luck - but
> then found that Bikebiz (??) had posted a news story (below).
>
> Well done, Barry for Dunwich, Southwark BMX track and all.....

Yes, well done.
As he doesn;t frequent this newsgroup, I can safely reveal that I put
together the nomination. Well deserved.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:11:54 -0700, Tim Henderson wrote:

> The winner in the category Best Cycle Facility was Royal Borough of
> Kingston on Thames for a new cycle parking scheme at Surbiton Station.
> The scheme was funded by Transport for London and makes best use of
> available space by using double-decker cycle racks.

I gather this bike parking really is good.
This award was awarded to South West Trains in partnership with Kingston.
The mention of SWT got a chorus of boos and hisses.