How long...

np426z

Guest
....have we known each other? By my reckoning, a little over two years.
That's about the time that, in most relationships, the 'tingles' (for a
detailed explanation, see Julia Stiles in 'Down to you') start to fade. In
a physical relationship you can chose to move beyond this, if you wish, into
a different phase. In our Usenet-based relationship there is nowhere else
to go.

Now we've had our tiffs, our sulks, I've gone off and had affairs with other
newsgroups, I've stormed off in a temper for weeks on end, but I've always
returned to your side, simply because I felt we were meant to be together.
Now, I'm not so sure. The days of the benign troll are fading, the days of
the troll-by-stealth (aka Virginiaz) on the rise.

To continue in the same vein would be boring for us both. To become a vile
and pointless entity like Wobbot would damn my soul forever. To become a
'regular' contributor would slowly chip away at the plinth of the fine
statue that's been erected in the Usenet Hall of Fame in my memory. My
voices tell me it's time to leave.

Stories, memories, thruth, lies. They're all the same. Words whispered
between friends. It's been a blast. Thanks, all of you.

Roger.

np426z wrote:
> My voices tell me it's time to leave.

You're leaving *again*?

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

>Oooh ... this'll be fun. Time to place your bets guys.
>
>I'm going with 2 weeks.

I don't know, he sounds pretty serious this time, I'll go with 15 days.

In article <[email protected]>, np426z
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ...have we known each other? By my reckoning, a little over two years.
> That's about the time that, in most relationships, the 'tingles' (for a
> detailed explanation, see Julia Stiles in 'Down to you') start to fade. In
> a physical relationship you can chose to move beyond this, if you wish, into
> a different phase. In our Usenet-based relationship there is nowhere else
> to go.
>
> Now we've had our tiffs, our sulks, I've gone off and had affairs with other
> newsgroups, I've stormed off in a temper for weeks on end, but I've always
> returned to your side, simply because I felt we were meant to be together.
> Now, I'm not so sure. The days of the benign troll are fading, the days of
> the troll-by-stealth (aka Virginiaz) on the rise.
>
> To continue in the same vein would be boring for us both. To become a vile
> and pointless entity like Wobbot would damn my soul forever. To become a
> 'regular' contributor would slowly chip away at the plinth of the fine
> statue that's been erected in the Usenet Hall of Fame in my memory. My
> voices tell me it's time to leave.
>
> Stories, memories, thruth, lies. They're all the same. Words whispered
> between friends. It's been a blast. Thanks, all of you.
>
> Roger.

The purpose of person behind all the names(from np426z to Roger Hunter)
used over the past two or so years was to have the world killfile
him/her. At another it was also to gather the research for his/her book
from this newsgroup and another.

The rec.running FAQ reads at the beginning: This posting contains
answers to frequently asked questions posted to rec.running plus
interesting & useful information for runners. For the past few years
rec.runners have found themselves distracted by the writings of the
trolls. So rec.running has been on an interesting journey.

Roger's words above remain his truth. Sincerity leaks out. The fine
statue in the author's Usenet Hall of Fame under the heat of time and
achieving his/her purpose begins to show the chinks and dings.

When a fine artist chiseled their statue it was without blemish. The
lesser artist in order to hide the chinks and dings would mix the
chiseled dust with bee's was and fill in the dings and chinks. So to
be sincere, is to be "without wax."

Ozzie Gontang

Post from 7/4/02:

In article <[email protected]>, Roger Hunter
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ozzie Gontang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:040720021340465741%[email protected]...
>
> > Happy Interdependence Day. You in UK and me in CA are joined by an
> > electron. And that's the way it could be.

> Oz,
>
> Whilst I'm a touch disappointed to only merit a 4k post, I can't help but
> like you Oz. I thought that your "all conversations are with myself"
> philosophy was utter hippy twaddle to begin with but, on reflection, I think
> I understand the point you're making.
>
> I can't speak for the rest of the trolls - I haven't got the mind control
> techniques right yet - but I can't believe that any, even on a bad day,
> really want to ruin rec.running. Some people simply find self-righteous,
> self-centred or self-congratulatory posts a bit difficult to swallow, and
> have an uncontrollable urge to dive in and irritate. Nothing more, nothing
> less.
>
> And as for contributing, well the only thing that 28 years running has
> taught me is that you find out all the really valuable running lessons from
> yourself and your own running successes and failures, not from a newsgroup
> or from fellow runners. And yes I know, that says more about me than it
> says about the rec.running community.
>
> I'm surprised, and a little hurt, that you feel my purpose is "not about
> running or running related topics". It is, and the message is simple, "go
> far away from your computer, get out and run, get injured, get better, win
> races, lose races, run hills, fall down ditches, swear at idiot drivers,
> talk to little kids on bikes, write running poetry (but only if you must),
> buy shoes that blister, buy shoes that are a dream (anyone remember the
> Asics Tiger GTs?), run places you know like the back of your hand, run
> places you'll never run again, do ANYTHING but sit and pontificate about
> running. And if my posts encourage anyone to shout at their PC in
> frustration and go out their door and run, then my work here is complete.
>
> We are joined by your electron. We just have differing views on its
> purpose. And, I suspect, the electron cares little about either of us.
>
> Oz, we'll never agree, but I'd be happy to share a run with you any day.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Roger.

And from almost a year ago, it must be seasonal and related to
vacation time with the family that will we never know the non virtual
truth about, another good bye. Or it could be just another "Good
god,this incarationn is over...on to the next."

From: "sydenhams chorea" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: rec.running,alt.support.childfree
Subject: Off again
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:40:17 +0100

Hey guys!

Remember I said I was learning how to be a proper troll? Well, one of
the
things I've learnt is that I don't need to pay the extortionate sum of
£12.99 per month to tesco.net for the dubious privilege of annoying
y'all.
Another thing I've learnt is that my style is way too obvious and
well-spoken. I need to get down 'n' dirty (apparently).

So, following the advice of my mentor(s), the personas of Roger Hunter,
Jo,
Zero and Dole boy are all consigned to the great troll rest home in the
sky.
I also feel it would not be in my best interests to continue with any
on or
off newsgroup friendships I have made. Accordingly - and with, in some
cases, genuine regret - please accept this as the one and only
intimation of
my departure. All my email identities of which you are aware will die
as
of the 20th August. NO, and I repeat NO alternative address will be
provided to ANYONE. If you'd like to say 'adieu' - see, K, I told
you
what would happen if you used that word :) - make it snappy.

I will be back of course, but it will be a harsher, more vulgar and
abrasive
troll. More in keeping with the times, I suppose. I'd like to thank
you
all for playing the game fairly, with a reasonable splattering of
humour,
and with a charm that I found quite gratifying. I guess what I'm
saying is
that I quite liked you all (well, most of you).

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, my "favourite and most
memorable poster in each newsgroup" awards.

The award in rec.running goes to "Ozzie Gontang". Why? Well, he's so
damned *nice*. In all seriousness, I feel some of his advice to be a
little - well - silly, yet his unfailing honesty, integrity and
sincerity
more than make up for his laid-back Californian-hippy approach to
running.
Personally, I've spent my life being the exact opposite of this man,
but I
can recognise a good person when I see one. Live long and prosper, you
idiot hippy.

The award in asc is easy. The 'elf'. I'm an absolute sucker for a
pretty
face - and hers is exceptionally pretty - but when it's backed by an
opinionated, headstrong, fearless and unyielding personality it's hard
not
to stand back and smile. Despite my best efforts, she never forgave me
for
trolling her. Nor, quite frankly, should she, for she was surprisingly
open and honest with someone she had never met and to whom she extended
the
hand of friendship only to have it slapped aside. Seriously, you're
OK,
elf. Be happy, yes?

And so, for this one last time, it's cheerio from me, the stylish, the
inimitable, the unforgettable...

Roger.