Overweight beginner getting shin splints

Pete Williams

Guest
Hi,

I have just managed to get into the habit of running over the past 12
weeks. I manage at least 2 sessions a week and 4 or 5 in a good week.
Frankly I am carrying too much weight (hence the exercise kick) at
16st 7lbs / 231 lbs / 106 kgs.

On a treadmill I am absolutely fine but with road running I notice I
get pains in the front of my shins which I assume are shin splints.

Is this just a fact of being overweight and will subside as and when I
lose weight? Or will training make the tissue in my shins stronger and
therefore more resilient to this kind of injury?

Is there any preventative exercise I can do or is rest and avoiding
road running the only cure?

Cheers,
Pete

[email protected] (Pete Williams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I have just managed to get into the habit of running over the past 12
> weeks. I manage at least 2 sessions a week and 4 or 5 in a good week.
> Frankly I am carrying too much weight (hence the exercise kick) at
> 16st 7lbs / 231 lbs / 106 kgs.
>
> On a treadmill I am absolutely fine but with road running I notice I
> get pains in the front of my shins which I assume are shin splints.

1. Make sure you have shoes that are an excellent fit and are
appropriate for your weight. If you think this is a problem - look at
getting new shoes.

Go to a real running store. Tell them about your shin splints. Don't
buy shoes until they watch you run with your old shoes, barefoot and
with at least 2 pairs of different brands of shoes. They should
explain any stride abnormalities to you and discuss what type of shoes
might be appropriate. If they do not do this, keep trying different
stores until you find one that fits you for shoes correctly.

2. Do not run on concrete. I would suggest you not even run on
asphalt, but that might not be possible. You stick to dirt and grass
as much as possible. Also, if you are not having problems with
treadmills, you might continue to run on it as long as you can
(without getting injured or going crazy).

> Is this just a fact of being overweight and will subside as and when I
> lose weight?

Shin splints are due to a number of factors. I knew a woman who was a
6' tall runner & weighed 120 lbs. that had horrible shin splints.

However, I would say that carrying extra weight means that your
under-conditioned muscles are working harder to do the same job.

Or will training make the tissue in my shins stronger and
> therefore more resilient to this kind of injury?

It is better to address the under-conditioned muscle with specific
exercises.
See this good discussion of shin splints:
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm

Overtraining (that is doing too much before your body is ready) is a
common cause of shin splints. Inconsistent training (weeks of
disproportionately high mileage - over 10% more than what you did the
weeks before) also can lead to "overtraining" type issues.

Do not run already-injured tissue. This is the number one way to make
it worse!

Google shin splints for more information. Good luck!

~becca

> [...]

Google shin splints for more information. Good luck!

~becca

[email protected] (Pete Williams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I have just managed to get into the habit of running over the past 12
> weeks. I manage at least 2 sessions a week and 4 or 5 in a good week.
> Frankly I am carrying too much weight (hence the exercise kick) at
> 16st 7lbs / 231 lbs / 106 kgs.
>
> On a treadmill I am absolutely fine but with road running I notice I
> get pains in the front of my shins which I assume are shin splints.
>
> Is this just a fact of being overweight and will subside as and when I
> lose weight? Or will training make the tissue in my shins stronger and
> therefore more resilient to this kind of injury?
>
> Is there any preventative exercise I can do or is rest and avoiding

Some decent Running shoes may help. (not cross trainers, not k-mart
brand) Even if you have running shoes, you may need a different brand
or model. For example, on long runs (over 5miles or more), I have shin
problems using Saucony, but they are great for me for short runs. I
tend to use them as my 5k racing shoes. (for reference, I'm also an
over 200pound runner)

Now the brands that work for me might not work for you. So test them
out.

Also getting a regular schedule of running will help. Large variations
in number of runs and total distance can contribute to problems,
especially for beginners. Try not to increase total miles more than
about 10% in a week.

Running on roads does take some adaptation. So don't assume you can do
it as easily as running on a treadmill. Take the outside runs at an
easy pace. It may take a few months or more, but your body will
adjust.

Good luck and Enjoy the run.
Ed

>On a treadmill I am absolutely fine but with road running I notice I
>get pains in the front of my shins which I assume are shin splints.
>
>Is this just a fact of being overweight and will subside as and when I
>lose weight?

It should, if you stay uninjured enough to reach that plateue. Shoes by a pro
are a must, then do a lot of tight figure 8's, and at least a 1/4 mile of
running backwards. These simple exercises will help tremendously. don't overdue
it until your bones have developed sufficent mass to sustain your mileage.

>Or will training make the tissue in my shins stronger and
>therefore more resilient to this kind of injury?

Only if it DOESN'T hurt.

>Is there any preventative exercise I can do or is rest and avoiding
>road running the only cure?

Always avoid the road, run on trails whenever possible, the difference on how
your legs will feel afterwards is truly amazing.

After you've taken all the previously given advice about good shoes.......

1. Ice, Ice, Ice, Ice. And when you're tired of icing them ice them some
more.

2. Toe Raises. Put some weight on your toes - soup cans in a plastic bag
or something like that. Raise your toes multiple times until you feel it in
your shins. I do this a coupleof times each day.

This regimen smacks down shin splints lickety split for me.

jh

On 7 Sep 2004 01:11:02 -0700, [email protected] (Pete Williams)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have just managed to get into the habit of running over the past 12
>weeks. I manage at least 2 sessions a week and 4 or 5 in a good week.
>Frankly I am carrying too much weight (hence the exercise kick) at
>16st 7lbs / 231 lbs / 106 kgs.
>
>On a treadmill I am absolutely fine but with road running I notice I
>get pains in the front of my shins which I assume are shin splints.

are you banging your feet down? or are you whisper quiet?
try smaller steps.
....thehick

>are you banging your feet down? or are you whisper quiet?
>try smaller steps.

Very good advice! If you do bang your feet, try flexing your ankles more, it
takes practice, but in a few weeks it will become unconscious.

Jim Haselmaier wrote:

> 2. Toe Raises. Put some weight on your toes - soup cans in a plastic bag
> or something like that. Raise your toes multiple times until you feel it in
> your shins. I do this a coupleof times each day.

Also, pointing toes in or out will help. I do 30 of each about 3-5
times/week now. (used to do more) I haven't done it with weights yet,
but want to - just haven't gotten something rigged up yet that works. My
PT used to have me do them rapidly until failure, but I seemed to get
better results with a finite number not quite as fast.

Dot

--
"I used to be real gung-ho. Now I try to look at it as a day hike with a
sense of purpose."