running stride question

Jeannette

Guest
OK, this is a strange one, but for about 12 years I've run 5-10 miles
a day, 8 min pace. About 3 years ago, I developed a stride problem,
where my right leg would sort of "twitch", for lack of a better word,
and cause my stride to deteriorate to the point where I had to stop
and walk the rest of the way. There is no pain, but it makes it
impossible to run anymore. It keeps getting worse, showing up
anywhere from 1-3 miles into my run. It shows up 5 minutes into any
run I do on a treadmill, so treadmill running is completely out now.
I've switched shoes, stopped running, started again, tried (non
custom) orthotics, no avail.

Any one have ANY idea on what this is and how to fix it? It's killing
my running and stressing me out.

Jeannette

OK, here it is , one more time..............right, left, right, left,
right...

> Any one have ANY idea on what this is and how to fix it? It's killing
> my running and stressing me out.
>
> Jeannette

I would see a sports podiatrist or podiatrist. Sounds like swelling or
pressure on a nerve. You may want to take some time off with plenty of
ice and heat and come back slowly.

Dave

In article <[email protected]>, Jeannette
<[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, this is a strange one, but for about 12 years I've run 5-10 miles
> a day, 8 min pace. About 3 years ago, I developed a stride problem,
> where my right leg would sort of "twitch", for lack of a better word,
> and cause my stride to deteriorate to the point where I had to stop
> and walk the rest of the way. There is no pain, but it makes it
> impossible to run anymore. It keeps getting worse, showing up
> anywhere from 1-3 miles into my run. It shows up 5 minutes into any
> run I do on a treadmill, so treadmill running is completely out now.
> I've switched shoes, stopped running, started again, tried (non
> custom) orthotics, no avail.
>
> Any one have ANY idea on what this is and how to fix it? It's killing
> my running and stressing me out.
>
> Jeannette

Jeannette,

Say more about the "stride problem."
What happens that makes your stride deteriorate?
Where do you land on the bottom of your shoe as you land?
What makes it impossible to run?
While no pain, what is occuring that causes the deterioration?

With more info maybe some of us can give you some helpful suggestions.

In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
Mindful Running:
http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

>Subject: Re: running stride question

For a minute I thought it said "Running stoned question", and I thought finally
a subject I'm qualified to answer...

OK--what happens is that my stride length seems to shorten on my right
leg, causing my stride to get jacked up--I start landing on my foot
any which way, basically losing control of the gait. It makes it
impossible to run because I cannot keep up a pace of any kind and trip
over anything in my path. No pain whatsoever, which is why for the
past few years I've been trying to run through it (walking for a few
minutes, then running again for another 5 min till it starts up
again).

I know it sounds retarded, but I don't know how else I can describe
it. It basically starts to feel like I've forgotten how to run in
that leg. Happens almost immediately on treadmills, and after a mile
or more on pavement. Doesn't tend to happen on trails, or any kind of
varying terrain like that. I;ve been to see a chiropractor twice, and
he thinks it has something to do with the fact that my arch collapses
when I touch down on my right foot (high arch) and we're trying tape,
orthotics, and a number of things (I went for the 2nd time today)...

I'm just looking for some advice because I've never heard or read
anything about this but it is really happening and no idea how to fix
it...

thanks--Jeannette

> Say more about the "stride problem."
> What happens that makes your stride deteriorate?
> Where do you land on the bottom of your shoe as you land?
> What makes it impossible to run?
> While no pain, what is occuring that causes the deterioration?
>
> With more info maybe some of us can give you some helpful suggestions.
>
> In health and on the run,
> Ozzie Gontang
> Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
> Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/
> Mindful Running:
> http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

Jeannette,

I would get someone to video you from the side on a treadmill so that
someone in kineseology or a physiatrist or someone similar could
observe at regular speed and in slow motion what is going on.

Not knowing your age, I a wondering if what is happening has to do with
a neurological issue, or dealing with something on the one side of your
body dealing with nerve impingement, or is it some early warning sign
that when under stress this neural-musculature pathway is
malfunctioning.

Again we don't know how heavy you come down as you land on your feet.
If you are hitting on the back of the heel of the shoe, you would be
overstriding and the ball of the foot would be slapping down similar to
the crossbar on a mouse trap.

Again the issue may be further up the leg or it may be related to
something taking place along your spine.

Let is know what you find out, as there seems to be some other things
going on beyond just the symptom.

Jeannette wrote:

> OK--what happens is that my stride length seems to shorten on my right
> leg, causing my stride to get jacked up--I start landing on my foot
> any which way, basically losing control of the gait. It makes it
> impossible to run because I cannot keep up a pace of any kind and trip
> over anything in my path. No pain whatsoever, which is why for the
> past few years I've been trying to run through it (walking for a few
> minutes, then running again for another 5 min till it starts up
> again).
>
> I know it sounds retarded, but I don't know how else I can describe
> it. It basically starts to feel like I've forgotten how to run in
> that leg. Happens almost immediately on treadmills, and after a mile
> or more on pavement. Doesn't tend to happen on trails, or any kind of
> varying terrain like that.

I agree with Ozzie that you might want to have a gait analysis - video
or otherwise. You might consider a physical therapist for this. I have a
gait issue, a little vaguely like yours - no pain, but I can't get my
left foot to pick up properly on some slow runs or walks. My foot always
lands forward though; it's just a matter of poor dorsiflexion in my
case, and I'm working on that. It seems fine on faster paces (fartleks)
and trails (as long as they aren't too flat) or highstepping drills,
etc. My feet are totally intolerant of pavement. Some of the terms my PT
used to describe some of my gait problems had symptoms like some
neurological conditions, but I think in my case, they were probably
symptoms of muscle imbalances - possibly tight calves, weak shins, weak
foot/ankle control - as they are responding to exercises. He didn't have
a video setup at the time, but did a gait analysis by watching me walk
from behind and in front. He also did a full evaluation from head to toe
and found a bunch of muscle imbalances.

Dot

--
"I couldn't do a winter like that on the treadmill. I don't know if I
could ever be that anal again."

Mr. Gontang,

I think the video would be a good idea, since it doesn't show up (at
least to me) in just 15 secs of running, which is what most people
observe me for.
Do you know anyone who does video for gait analysis? I'll call you
and get a reference if you do.
Stats for me: I just turned 29, have been running since 15, ran h.s.
and college track and XC (10K was my event but I've also ran 9
marathons, so I am no stranger to distance),so this problem is a huge
one for me and one I would love to fix as soon as possible.
I am in the military and will be out of town for the next few weeks
but should be able to check email, so please let me know--your message
says you are from San Diego and I am from Carlsbad, so if you know
someone locally that would be a big help.

thanks--Jeannette