Race Report - ½ marathon with my sis

Roger 2k

Guest
Our plan was to break 2 hours.

I thought we started out slow, more like a 10 minute pace for the first
mile, but we ended up running it at 9:06, which is what I wanted for the
average.

Our second mile was quite a bit faster as people that knew me passed and I
had to talk to them for a bit. We ran a few low eight's before we settled
back to 9 minute miles.

Around the 7 mile marker, my fingers started to tingle. I looked at them
and sure enough, they had swelled up, meaning I was retaining water.

The night before, I talked to Jeff Galloway, yes, the Jeff Galloway and he
told me the Succeed capsules would only be a good idea in warm weather.
Well, it warmed up shortly after the start of the race, and I knew I was in
trouble.

I didn't get too dizzy, so I kept running until about the 11 mile marker.
That is when my sister left me.

My Heart Rate at the finish was only 199. I crossed the finish at 1:56:10,
but they have me down for 1:55:55, so they must have used chip time.

My sister remarked, that she always does the first mile too slow, so I have
helped her out there.

I think it was a very good training run for Detroit, but I have to practice
10 minute miles, since that is what I plan to run there.

-2k-

Ignoramus12690 wrote in message ...
>In article <[email protected]>, Roger 2k wrote:
>> Our plan was to break 2 hours.
>>
>> I thought we started out slow, more like a 10 minute pace for the first
>> mile, but we ended up running it at 9:06, which is what I wanted for the
>> average.
>>
>> Our second mile was quite a bit faster as people that knew me passed and

>> had to talk to them for a bit. We ran a few low eight's before we

settled
>> back to 9 minute miles.
>>
>> Around the 7 mile marker, my fingers started to tingle. I looked at them
>> and sure enough, they had swelled up, meaning I was retaining water.
>>
>> The night before, I talked to Jeff Galloway, yes, the Jeff Galloway and

he
>> told me the Succeed capsules would only be a good idea in warm weather.
>> Well, it warmed up shortly after the start of the race, and I knew I was

in
>> trouble.
>>
>> I didn't get too dizzy, so I kept running until about the 11 mile marker.
>> That is when my sister left me.
>>
>> My Heart Rate at the finish was only 199. I crossed the finish at

1:56:10,
>> but they have me down for 1:55:55, so they must have used chip time.
>>
>> My sister remarked, that she always does the first mile too slow, so I

have
>> helped her out there.
>>
>> I think it was a very good training run for Detroit, but I have to

practice
>> 10 minute miles, since that is what I plan to run there.
>>
>> -2k-
>>

>I am very impressed!

I read your report and good job i. Who would have guessed that we ran the
same race.

So, did you get to meet Jeff Galloway yesterday?

The weather for this race was pretty good, but right after the first bridge,
when we made that right hand turn, it seemed to get warm in a hurry. There
were a lot of people saying they should have worn short sleeve shirts or no
sleeve shirts.

Once we turned again, the weather seemed to be pretty good from that time
on. I'm glad we didn't find any other stretches that seemed that warm. I
would have liked it to say closer to 40 myself.