Re: Stu Mittleman's Slow Burn book

Doug Freese

Guest
"Ignoramus23816" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am reading Stu Mittleman's book Slow Burn.

> He probably could not eat much before commencing his run, or on the
> run.

How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape. How the hell do you
think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes food
while he is riding?

> He is anti-sugar (around page 250), so, he did not drink gatorate

It's Gatorade and in case you haven't noticed there are a **** pile of
drinks on the market and that are not all made of simple sugar.

> on the run etc. So, say he starts running at 6am, finished running at
> 4pm. Assuming that he went to bed at 10, that left him with about 6
> hours to eat his 10,000 calories.

Scottie Beam him up!

> That's an unbelievable amount of
> food to be crammed within 6 hours of eating. About 4 times more than I
> eat within one day!

It sounds unbelievable because it is not true!

Don't you think you should stay with Glover and then worry about the
fringe ultra geek runners?

-DougF

Doug Freese wrote in message ...
>snip<
>
>Don't you think you should stay with Glover and then worry about the
>fringe ultra geek runners?
>
>-DougF

I'm guilty - I told him about Stuie and the book as it kind of related to
his theory :)

- Tony

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ignoramus23816" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I am reading Stu Mittleman's book Slow Burn.

>> He probably could not eat much before commencing his run, or on the
>> run.

> How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
> water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape. How the hell do you
> think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes food
> while he is riding?

Actually, ig is against drinking water too. He believes a cup or two a day
is sufficient hydration. Check out the water challenge posts on ASD for a
good laugh or two.

>> That's an unbelievable amount of
>> food to be crammed within 6 hours of eating. About 4 times more than I
>> eat within one day!

> It sounds unbelievable because it is not true!

He never lets facts get in the way of his speculations.

Jenn

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:42:36 GMT, Doug Freese wrote:

> How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
> water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape.

Citation please.

> How the hell do you
> think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes food
> while he is riding?

It so way kewl for you to call him "Lance". so way kewl.

Ignoramus23816 wrote in message ...
>snip<
>Just how much do you think he ate during his runs? Any idea?

I wonder what he did eat and how he ate it. Probably 2.5 pounds of olive
oil and some protein :) A calorie deficit would be trouble over 52 days:

At he loses
9500 7.4 lbs
9000 14.9 lbs
8500 22.3 lbs
8000 29.7 lbs
7500 37.1 lbs
7000 44.6 lbs

But for a guy like him who ran 12:56 for 100 miles, 5 mph is like walking
for the rest of us, so eating would not be a problem.

- T

"Ignoramus23816" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
>> water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape. How the hell do
>> you
>> think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes
>> food
>> while he is riding?

> Just how much do you think he ate during his runs? Any idea?

No idea and I leave the exercise up to you but it's a lot!

> Stu is pretty clear about not wanting to drink sugary drinks and
> gels. I can post an exact quote if you want.

I would interested in the precisely what he drinks. I would guess he
drinks a maltodextrin based drink with some fat and protein. The term
sugary is way to vague. If he drinks plain water, and this not as
uncommon as you might think, since he dislikes any sweetness, then he is
getting all his nutrition through whole food. If the only sport drink
available in a race is gatorbarf(simple sugar and nasty taste for me),
I will take mountain dew and/or coke and/or water. We also know that we
must make up for the lost carbs by eating more whole food and taking
additional salt. I hope your not going to also postulate that Stu did
this run on no carbs since he doesn't like sugary drinks - are you?
Still looking for endurance on a high fat high protein diet? Keep
looking they're right next to the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

> I read all kinds of books, history, diet, security analysis, evolution
> etc. Can't see why I am not allowed to read about ultra endurance
> runners, any more than I am not allowed to read about rebellions in
> Auschwitz, etc.

I have yet to see where you know anything about diet/nutrition and to
date little to nothing about physiology. If you want to be runner you
need to understand the basics. Reading about advanced calculus when you
have not mastered basic algebra, is not the way learn what you need to
know. When you postulate that someone runs for 50 miles a day across the
US and does all his eating when he stops because people don't eat and
run, shows you haven't got a clue.

> I agree though that Glover provides a better guide to my goal of
> running a sub 4 hour marathon.

Did you jump to the charts in the marathon chapter to determine this?
It's not clear you have read any of the first 150 pages dedicated to
training. Are you claiming you read it all and are now on to Stu?

There are dozens of marathon programs out there and they all have the
same nucleus of information.

-Doug

<< gatorbarf >>

Like is that
A xenograph of
Pup & rep-
Tile?

*smile*

[Snap]

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<< Are you claiming you read it all and are now on to >>

...something new?
Well, guesswork forms
Part, evidence part,
The balance,
Faith &
Raw need.
*rubbing my raw knees,
from persistent
true worship,
& adoration*
[+ humliation'
& a shitload
of pain]

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

It's the Pony Express!

Go baby GO!
_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<< [+ humiliation
& a shitload
of pain] >>

Thanks Jane!
No pain, no gain!
Been there, done that!
Hail, Celebrate!
8* Thanks!
Don't be late ~
[Go get Martha
Out of jail!]

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

Glad you enjoyed my 8"

On 12 Oct 2004 12:38:55 GMT, [email protected]entary (Brilliant One)
wrote:

><< [+ humiliation
>& a shitload
>of pain] >>
>
>Thanks Jane!
>No pain, no gain!
>Been there, done that!
>Hail, Celebrate!
>8* Thanks!
>Don't be late ~
>[Go get Martha
>Out of jail!]
>
>_______
>Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
><A
>HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
>s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

<< Glad you enjoyed my 8" >>

...inches of what?
It never got anywhere near me!
[Well, ok, 6 inches from my face.]

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ignoramus23816" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I am reading Stu Mittleman's book Slow Burn.

> > He probably could not eat much before commencing his run, or on the
> > run.

> How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
> water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape. How the hell do you
> think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes food
> while he is riding?
>

> > He is anti-sugar (around page 250), so, he did not drink gatorate

> It's Gatorade and in case you haven't noticed there are a **** pile of
> drinks on the market and that are not all made of simple sugar.
>

> > on the run etc. So, say he starts running at 6am, finished running at
> > 4pm. Assuming that he went to bed at 10, that left him with about 6
> > hours to eat his 10,000 calories.

> Scottie Beam him up!

Do you really think Kirk and Spock would allow this speciman aboard the
Enterprise? Why don't you guys keep him in rec.running as most of us in ASD
have learned all we want from his vast knowledge of diet and exercise.

Beverly

> > That's an unbelievable amount of
> > food to be crammed within 6 hours of eating. About 4 times more than I
> > eat within one day!

> It sounds unbelievable because it is not true!
>
> Don't you think you should stay with Glover and then worry about the
> fringe ultra geek runners?
>
> -DougF

<< llow this speciman aboard the
Enterprise? Why don't you guys keep him in rec.running as most of us in ASD
have learned all we want from his vast knowledge of diet and exercise.

Beverly >>

Sterling, Dr. Brown!
Please do a real bow wow bow!
You're ready for Broadway!
Great Arcania, or Arkadia?
You're swell!
*tearful smile*

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

*******!

On 12 Oct 2004 12:52:03 GMT, [email protected]entary (Brilliant One)
wrote:

><< Glad you enjoyed my 8" >>
>
>..inches of what?
>It never got anywhere near me!
>[Well, ok, 6 inches from my face.]
>
>_______
>Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
><A
>HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
>s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

"Ignoramus4133" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> By the way, I said that the Bush administration was lying about Iraq
> WMD, way before the war even started. I was called a kook by well
> meaning idiots, who now have their feet in their mouths.

You also said that antifreeze would be a good deodorant and that a woman
should consider anorexia as a possible way to prevent breast cancer. Looks
like you're still a kook - or just an idiot.

> In a similar vaine, I expect to be able to run a sub 4 hour marathon
> on LC.

Well, for someone who claims to be a "lifelong runner" and has been "running
for 22 yrs," one would hope.

Jenn

Now she knows you're a fake, I sent her my pics, and she knows it's bigger than 8".

wrote:

> > "Ignoramus23816" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>I am reading Stu Mittleman's book Slow Burn.

> >> He probably could not eat much before commencing his run, or on the
> >> run.

> > How in the hell did you conclude this? Do you think he ran all day on
> > water? Believe me, he ate a drank like a raped ape. How the hell do you
> > think people get through ultra runs??? Do you think Lance forgoes food
> > while he is riding?

> Just how much do you think he ate during his runs? Any idea?

Anough to blow your ridiculous theories out of the water, dipshit.

> >> He is anti-sugar (around page 250), so, he did not drink gatorate

> > It's Gatorade and in case you haven't noticed there are a **** pile

> Thanks for correcting my typo.

TYPO? You mean, incorrect assumption. The typo is the least of your
problems, dipshit.

> > of drinks on the market and that are not all made of simple sugar.

> Stu is pretty clear about not wanting to drink sugary drinks and
> gels. I can post an exact quote if you want.

No, nobody cares.

> >> That's an unbelievable amount of
> >> food to be crammed within 6 hours of eating. About 4 times more than I
> >> eat within one day!

> > It sounds unbelievable because it is not true!

> Wel, I did a simple calories out calculation, the only sources of
> errors in it could be his weight, running speed, and age. All in all,
> there is not a great difference as long as you plug in various
> reasonable parameters. Check out www.caloriesperhour.com.
>
> > Don't you think you should stay with Glover and then worry about the
> > fringe ultra geek runners?

> I read all kinds of books, history, diet, security analysis, evolution
> etc. Can't see why I am not allowed to read about ultra endurance
> runners, any more than I am not allowed to read about rebellions in
> Auschwitz, etc.
>
> I agree though that Glover provides a better guide to my goal of
> running a sub 4 hour marathon.

Hey, i have an idea...how about going out and actually RUNNING and stop
trying to impress people, you only look more and more like the idiot you
truly are.

Martha

"JMA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ignoramus4133" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > By the way, I said that the Bush administration was lying about Iraq
> > WMD, way before the war even started. I was called a kook by well
> > meaning idiots, who now have their feet in their mouths.

> You also said that antifreeze would be a good deodorant and that a woman
> should consider anorexia as a possible way to prevent breast cancer.

Looks
> like you're still a kook - or just an idiot.
>
> > In a similar vaine, I expect to be able to run a sub 4 hour marathon
> > on LC.

> Well, for someone who claims to be a "lifelong runner" and has been

"running
> for 22 yrs," one would hope.
>
> Jenn

Oh yes, the antifreeze deoderant idea, how could I forget. What about his
recent post to a 17-year-old boy in asd that brought up sex he has with his
wife? Yes, he's asd's Village Kook.

Martha