Toronto Marathon Showers

frank-in-toronto

Guest
This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
know what else to do.

any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
thanks...thehick

<< 'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
know what else to do.

any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
thanks...thehick >>

Hang out by the fire,
Read a good book ~
Cook some soup.
Enjoy good company.
Know who qualifies ~

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:
> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear.

Or you could just use a plastic trash bag with
a hole cut in the bottom (for the head).

> I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.

> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
> thanks...thehick

"frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear.

That will work. Something to trap a layer of air and keep you from
hypothermia if and when it rains . Just tie it around your waist and
use as needed.

> I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.

Don't bother with socks or even a change of shoes, they will simply get
wet again and you're back to wet feet. Make sure you wear a pair of good
socks, i.e not cotton. I did a race last year where I ran in a
torrential rain storm for almost 10 hours. My feet got wet, in fact in
deep mud but it did not hurt my running nor gave me any blisters. Wet
feet is not as bad as some people think.

> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?

Wear a hat with a bill, it will keep the rain from your eyes and face.

-DF

golden showers?

frank-in-toronto wrote:

> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.
>
> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
> thanks...thehick

Check Phil M.'s "Cold & Wet Marathon Preparations" started on 9/28. I
think Tony also started a thread on cold, wet feet within the last
couple months, but hopefully your run won't take as long as what we were
discussing in Tony's thread.

But if you're just running in showers on a road for a few hours, I
suspect just some vaseline on feet will work.

Dot

--
"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But if you're just running in showers on a road for a few hours, I
> suspect just some vaseline on feet will work.

Good addition, For runs over a few hours I always grease up my feet. For
a marathon be it wet, dry, whatever, it is standard issue.

-DF

Doug Freese wrote:

> Wet
> feet is not as bad as some people think.

I guess it depends on your feet ;) My problems with wet feet were real
(shredded outer skin so it was bleeding in places - field work, not
running), but I do have other gear now, and the cramping I've had when
running in wet grass has disappeared. I guess I should've run the longer
race a couple weeks ago to see how my feet survive 2.5 hrs in slush /
ice water with the present gear ;) These are not likely the conditions
for a road marathon though.

Dot

--
"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Leafing through rec.running, I read frank-in-toronto's message of 14 Oct
2004:

> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.
>
> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
> thanks...thehick

Have you checked the forecast lateley? It looks like you could have some
rain at 11:00 AM, but not during the whole marathon.

Phil M.

--
"What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John Short,
South African coach.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:40:11 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Leafing through rec.running, I read frank-in-toronto's message of 14 Oct
>2004:
>
>> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
>> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
>> know what else to do.
>>
>> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
>> thanks...thehick

>Have you checked the forecast lateley? It looks like you could have some
>rain at 11:00 AM, but not during the whole marathon.

just showers are predicted at this time (friday afternnon).
so i can aim to run on the dry part of the road.
i got a poncho, will have a billed cap and won't bother
bringing extra socks for the run. thanks for the advice.
i'll keep that vaseline advice for next year when i can try it
out on a training run.
....thehick

Frank,
Good luck Sunday. I'll be doing the half. I really like smartwool socks.
They are great in all weather, including wet. I did the Niagara half in
the rain last year and although I dressed totally inappropriately and was,
for the most part quite miserable, my feet were happy. Phil, where do you
get such detailed weather reports?
Jane
"frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:40:11 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Leafing through rec.running, I read frank-in-toronto's message of 14 Oct
>>2004:
>>
>>> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
>>> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
>>> know what else to do.
>>>
>>> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
>>> thanks...thehick

>>Have you checked the forecast lateley? It looks like you could have some
>>rain at 11:00 AM, but not during the whole marathon.

> just showers are predicted at this time (friday afternnon).
> so i can aim to run on the dry part of the road.
> i got a poncho, will have a billed cap and won't bother
> bringing extra socks for the run. thanks for the advice.
> i'll keep that vaseline advice for next year when i can try it
> out on a training run.
> ...thehick

Leafing through rec.running, I read Jane's message of 15 Oct 2004:

> Frank,
> Good luck Sunday. I'll be doing the half. I really like smartwool
> socks. They are great in all weather, including wet. I did the
> Niagara half in the rain last year and although I dressed totally
> inappropriately and was, for the most part quite miserable, my feet
> were happy. Phil, where do you get such detailed weather reports?
> Jane

http://www.accuweather.com Click on "Canada Forecasts" on the left. You can
get a daily, hourly, or 15-day forecast

Good luck on the halfathon!

Phil M.

--
"What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John Short,
South African coach.

"frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.
>
> any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
> thanks...thehick

As of right now (Fri. night) the weather network says 40%
chance of showers. I'll be doing the full marathon as well. I
am more worried about the wind. It was really bad 2 years
ago.

It's a pretty tough course. I've completed it once ('00) and
dropped out at 32k the next year. Both times it rained, and
was very windy. Looks like a 3-peat!

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton ON)
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

<[email protected]> wrote:

>This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
>poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
>know what else to do.
>
>any suggestions on how i can make my run less uncomfortable?
>thanks...thehick

Just take a shower before you go, that way you won't offend other
people before the race.
As far making it less comfortable? Stay home and watch it on TV.

<< Just take a shower before you go, that way you won't offend other
people before the race.
As far making it less comfortable? Stay home and watch it on TV. >>

wise words.
but tomorrow you'll be cranky
for not burning off that,
well, you know ~
[Hey!]

~ waves ~

_______
<A
HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:45:03 -0400, "Jane" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Great site. Thanks.
>
>"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> http://www.accuweather.com Click on "Canada Forecasts" on the left. You
>> can
>> get a daily, hourly, or 15-day forecast
>>
>> Good luck on the halfathon!

a bit off-topic but i find it very hard to believe that
an hour by hour forecast up to 3 days in the future has
any credibility. most forecasts hardly get the macro
parts right.

anyway, now accuweather says no rain and the wind
will be from the west. so for this marathon, wind should
not be in the picture much.

my poncho only cost a dollar so i'll bring it just in case.

they are providing us Ultima Orange and water on the
course. I could only get Ultima Lemon powder to try
out last week and it made me sick RIGHT AWAY!!!
if i had been running i would have thrown up. for sure.
so it's water and ju-jubes and gel and crackers for me.
....thehick

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:25:02 -0400, Johnny Bela
<[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

>Did you get a free pair of the "official socks" of the marathon? My
>buddy was showing me this thing and the literature that came with it and
>it seems like voodoo science to me. You can see it at
>http://www.holofiber.com/ It kinda reminded me of oxygenated water.

i spoke with them. and got an extra wrist band. if nothing
else, it'll be ok in the summer to wipe my forehead.
i think i remember his grandfather selling snake oil.
....thehick

"frank-in-toronto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> This Sunday, showers are predicted. I'm gonna get a cheap
> poncho to wear. I'll bring along a change of socks, I don't
> know what else to do.

Oh man... it's now 12 hours before race start and the
weather forecast is getting really bad. Environment Canada's
official report for Toronto is:

"Sunday .. Cloudy. 70 percent chance of showers. Wind
west 50 km/h gusting to 70 diminishing to 30 late in the day.
High 10."

50km/h sustained winds gusting to 70 is not fun.

This kinda sucks. :(

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton ON)
www.absolutelyaccurate.com
www.allfalldown.org

In article <[email protected]>,
frank-in-toronto <[email protected]> wrote:

> they are providing us Ultima Orange and water on the
> course. I could only get Ultima Lemon powder to try
> out last week and it made me sick RIGHT AWAY!!!
> if i had been running i would have thrown up. for sure.
> so it's water and ju-jubes and gel and crackers for me.

In such cases, I take a water-bottle carrier and gatorade powder, get
water from the aid stations, and mix on the fly.

Ultima sucks, BTW.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.