Re: Expedition 15

Fran

Guest
[email protected] said...
> In view of talk at the Expedition about getting a hut organised how
> about this http://www.llanthony.co.uk/ place's camping barn? The
> die-hard tent dwellers could always use the next door field and there
> are beds at the inn and hotel for those wanting something more
> salubrious/expensive/private (delete as applicable)

I've got at least one daughter who'd prefer this option. It's
not as expensive as it might be, either. I'd be up for it and I
suspect so would Charlie and the other oiks.
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:51:05 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The best camping costs nothing at all.

True, but the best SOCIAL events are likely to be where people can
drive their cars (full of beer, barbecues, chairs, fishing shelters,
blooming big heavy cakes etc).

I'd like to go on a wildcamp expedition *as well as* the type of exped
we've just had, not instead of.

I think the hut suggestion is a good one, although I'll probably
choose to camp.

Judith

Judith wrote:

>> The best camping costs nothing at all.

> True, but the best SOCIAL events are likely to be where people can
> drive their cars (full of beer, barbecues, chairs, fishing shelters,
> blooming big heavy cakes etc).

True.

> I'd like to go on a wildcamp expedition *as well as* the type of exped
> we've just had, not instead of.
>
> I think the hut suggestion is a good one, although I'll probably
> choose to camp.

Which is sort of my point. I've got no great desire to stay in a hut,
but I suppose I could compromise if necessary.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> Fran wrote:
>
> > I've got at least one daughter who'd prefer this option. It's
> > not as expensive as it might be, either.

> It is compared to nothing, which is what I usually pay, and it's not as
> good as waking up in the outdoors. I don't even like paying for
> campsites. I know this won't make sense to some people, but it seems to
> me that it costs more money for less pleasure. The best camping costs
> nothing at all.

But only if you like that sort of thing. Catharine dislikes
camping of any sort, which is why she wasn't with us at the
weekend. Try suggesting a wild camp to her and she'd run a mile.
And I have to admit I rather enjoyed my Sunday morning shower at
the campsite, and being able to leave certain things in the bus,
and having a sink to do the washing up in.
--

Fran wrote:

>> The best
>> camping costs nothing at all.

> But only if you like that sort of thing.

I never liked campsites. Hated them as a child. Still don't like them.

> Catharine dislikes camping of any sort,

But how do you know? Has she ever camped wild?

> Try suggesting a wild camp to her and she'd run a mile.

So you're just presuming? No point suggesting it anyway. From her
point of view it's something that you'd be trying to force on her rather
than something she might choose to do herself.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> Fran wrote:
>
> >> The best
> >> camping costs nothing at all.

> > But only if you like that sort of thing.

> I never liked campsites. Hated them as a child. Still don't like them.

Fine, that's your choice. Me, I'm long enough in the tooth to
want a bit of comfort, even when camping.

> > Catharine dislikes camping of any sort,

> But how do you know? Has she ever camped wild?

Which bit of "Catharine dislikes camping" is causing difficulties
here?

> > Try suggesting a wild camp to her and she'd run a mile.

> So you're just presuming? No point suggesting it anyway. From her
> point of view it's something that you'd be trying to force on her rather
> than something she might choose to do herself.

At this point I'd like to point out that Paul has only met
Catharine on two occasions; once at a urw expedition (Rhud Ddu)
and once at home. He doesn't actually *know* her at all; I,
however, have known her for 14 years. At Rhud Ddu Catharine was
escaping a role playing weekend Charlie was hosting: she thought
the expedition might be marginally more entertaining. At the
house she - well, she lives there, and happened to be in to
receive Bill's big blue tent when Paul kindly brought it to us.
For the last time Paul: CATHARINE DOES NOT LIKE CAMPING. Full
stop, end of story.
--

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote

> >CATHARINE DOES NOT LIKE CAMPING. Full
> >stop, end of story.

> Are you sure? I thought Paul said she might like it ;-)

She might have changed her mind. Have you checked lately?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:04:17 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>For the last time Paul: CATHARINE DOES NOT LIKE CAMPING. Full
>stop, end of story.

Fran, you're merely her mother, who bore her and has brought her up
and lived with her since conception. How can you possibly know whether
she'd lke it?

--

Paul

(Watch this space)

Paul Rooney <[email protected]> wrote
>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:04:17 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>For the last time Paul: CATHARINE DOES NOT LIKE CAMPING. Full
>>stop, end of story.

>Fran, you're merely her mother, who bore her and has brought her up
>and lived with her since conception. How can you possibly know whether
>she'd lke it?

:)
--
Gordon