THE FAQs: Welcome to uk.rec.walking each and every one.

Derek Moody

Guest
uk.rec.walking is a small, family group and all are most welcome, all
except netkooks, netkops and nannies.

I should like to volunteer my contribution towards posting the NEW
FAQs as requested.

FAQs for U

(test post to validate content and size, apologies all round. Please
do not adjust your filters, normal service will be resumed as soon as
possible)

This replaces the biased, self opinionated blow job drivel that the
sex pest troll Philip Powell [email protected]>

Most of us in URW have dumped this prat but some still indulge him,
please don't it only encourages weirdo's.

This FAQ can be posted by anyone, amended by anyone at any time, there
is no designee for FAQs, please feel free to add, alter or amend any
or all of it.

> [...]
>The allure of mountain lists is a very British phenomenon. This is a
>brief introduction to the various British mountain lists. These lists
>are concerned primarily with the mountains, hills and fells of 2000 ft
>and above.
>Peak bagging is often used as a derogatory term for walkers and
>mountaineers who appear to show more interest in the list than the
>mountain. However, it is quite possible to combine a deep love for the
>mountains and an interest in completing a list. Indeed, the target of
>completing a list can encourage the walker to get out into some of the
>more remote areas of our islands. Anyone who has completed a list
>will, at the very least, have a good knowledge of the area covered.
>

>Mountaineering Lists
>There are numerous mountain lists - every walker could compile his or
>her own based on individual criteria. It is my intention to outline
>the best-known of the eponymously named lists and others with, where
>available, online links.
>
>Munros
>
>The best-known of lists is the Munros. This list was first recorded by
>Sir Hugh Munro in the September 1891 issue of the Scottish
>Mountaineering Club Journal. An original member of the club, he set
>himself the task of recording all the Scottish peaks over 3000 ft -
>before then it was thought the number was little over 30.
>The original Munro Tables contained 538 tops of over 3000 ft, of which
>283 were considered distinct mountains. Unfortunately, Munro never
>made clear the criteria he used and the Tables have undergone periodic
>revision, the latest being in the summer of 1997.
>
>A 'Munroist' is a mountaineer who has successfully ascended the
>complete list of separate Mountains. Munro himself never did become
>a 'Munroist' as he died with two left to climb: the Innaccessible
>Pinnacle, which thwarted him on two occasions, and Carn Cloich-
>mhuillin, the Munro nearest his home which he was saving until last.
>
>Munros (284)
>http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/MunrosByRegion.html
> and Tops (511).
>http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/MunroTops.html
>

>Corbetts
>
>Following on from Munro, J. Rooke Corbett (the fourth man to complete
>the Munros) compiled a list of Scottish hills between 2500 and 3000
>ft. Although he never made explicit the criteria he used, it seems
>clear that his only test was a re-ascent of 500 ft on all sides -
>regardless of distance covered or the difficulty of the terrain. This
>list differs from Munro's in that it does not purport to contain every
>summit between 2500 and 2999 ft in Scotland.
>Corbetts.
>http://www.gla.ac.uk/Subject/Hill/Lists/Corbetts.html
>
>Grahams
>
>The obvious extension to the Corbetts was a list of those Scottish
>hills between 2000 and 2500 ft that fulfilled the criteria of a 500 ft

Be still! and revere Dave Fawthrop, who blessed us with their presence on
07 Aug 2004...

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:11:22 +0100, Derek Moody <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>| uk.rec.walking is a small, family group and all are most welcome, all
>| except
>
> Trolls from demon.local

Begone with you, David! You are *NOT* welcome in demon.local.

--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
VISIT ME ONLINE AT: http://peterparsnip.blogspot.com/

"Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with
the rod, he shall not die." -- Proverbs 23:13 (AV)

x-no-archive: yes
Dave Fawthrop wrote: news:[email protected]

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:11:22 +0100, Derek Moody <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> uk.rec.walking is a small, family group and all are most welcome, all
>> except

> Trolls from demon.local

you forgot to insert the "-- " separator above your signature.