boots - repair or replace

The Man Himself

Guest
I've got a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTXes which have served me well and
still feel as though they've got plenty life left in them, but the tread on
the soles is getting worn out in places. I've seen a few discussions in
this NG about companies who do re-soling via mail order, but I thought I'd
try and see if I could get a local shop to do them for me and save a bit of
hassle.
I went into my local outdoor shop and asked if they do repairs, and was
given an instant "no" and told that the best thing to do was to chuck the
boots out and buy some new ones (which they'd be happy to sell to me,
funnily enough). Their line was that it just wasn't possible to get the new
soles to adhere to the boots properly...which kind of makes me wonder how
Brasher manage to get the soles on there in the first place, but I digress.
So... according to my local outdoor shop (Shilton's of Rothbury), once a
boot has done more than 2000 miles the best thing to do is replace it. I
have my doubts - any thoughts from the good people of the NG???

I'm no expert but get in touch with Lancashire Sports Repair who have an
agreement with Brasher to refurbish their boots. Info at

http://www.lsr.gb.com/brasher.htm

Cheers

Andy

"The Man Himself" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTXes which have served me well and
> still feel as though they've got plenty life left in them, but the tread

on
> the soles is getting worn out in places. I've seen a few discussions in
> this NG about companies who do re-soling via mail order, but I thought I'd
> try and see if I could get a local shop to do them for me and save a bit

of
> hassle.
> I went into my local outdoor shop and asked if they do repairs, and was
> given an instant "no" and told that the best thing to do was to chuck the
> boots out and buy some new ones (which they'd be happy to sell to me,
> funnily enough). Their line was that it just wasn't possible to get the

new
> soles to adhere to the boots properly...which kind of makes me wonder how
> Brasher manage to get the soles on there in the first place, but I

digress.
> So... according to my local outdoor shop (Shilton's of Rothbury), once a
> boot has done more than 2000 miles the best thing to do is replace it. I
> have my doubts - any thoughts from the good people of the NG???
>

> I'm no expert but get in touch with Lancashire Sports Repair who have an
> agreement with Brasher to refurbish their boots. Info at

Sent my Miendl last year for resole and service to Lancashire Sports
Repairs, and I have had no problem with them. Good soles fitted, no sign at
all of leaving the boot, and I done many miles since. Lake District,
Snowdonia, Bolivia, Spain and plenty of miles locally on the South Downs and
Dorset coast.

I chose to have them resoled in preference to new boots because they are a
very comfortable fit. The leather uppers in in good condition, and all lace
eyelets are sound. Cost 45 pounds, plus about 10 for postage. Far cheaper
than a new pair ....... and no problem of breaking-in.

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

"Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
summit still brings the same excitement"

The Man Himself wrote:
> I've got a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTXes which have served me

well
> and still feel as though they've got plenty life left in them, but
> the tread on the soles is getting worn out in places. I've seen a
> few discussions in this NG about companies who do re-soling via mail
> order, but I thought I'd try and see if I could get a local shop to
> do them for me and save a bit of hassle.
> I went into my local outdoor shop and asked if they do repairs, and
> was given an instant "no" and told that the best thing to do was to
> chuck the boots out and buy some new ones (which they'd be happy to
> sell to me, funnily enough). Their line was that it just wasn't
> possible to get the new soles to adhere to the boots

properly...which
> kind of makes me wonder how Brasher manage to get the soles on there
> in the first place, but I digress. So... according to my local
> outdoor shop (Shilton's of Rothbury), once a boot has done more than
> 2000 miles the best thing to do is replace it. I have my doubts -
> any thoughts from the good people of the NG???

Both my wife and myself have had our Scarpa boots resoled, mine twice.
So long as the uppers are in good order I would do it every time.
We used Lancashire Sports Repair, who we found to be good, it took two
week
which was longer than we expected. They have an excellent website
HTH
Regards

oldman

Walk around your local shops, you should find quite a few shoe
repair/locksmiths that will carry out sole replacements. In Cardiff I know
of at least 5 places that will do these repairs. They do a very
good job too, I have had plastic Koflack boots resoled and been up a lot
of frozen mountains and down a lot of scree slopes without any problems. My
Zhamberlains (spelling?!) were ok as well. All this came as a pleasant
surprise as I had got used to the idea of paying a fortune in posting and
packaging to send my boots of to far off places for repairs.
I did find that with leather boots it is possible to just about wear out
the replacement sole before the rest of the boot falls apart.