Dreamfield Pasta?

Randy

Guest
Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP

"Ignoramus21510" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:04:59 -0700, Randy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
> > and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP
> >

> I am curious, will 2 oz of pasta make a big difference in your life?
>
> --
> 223/172.8/180

why bother him? if he likes the taste and it doesn't mess up his diet than
isn't that just super-duper?

x-no-archive: yes

>Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
>and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP

Most folks do fine with it, but some diabetics get sugar spikes with it, ones
that can last a long time. Usually, the spike occurs later than with regular
carb ingestion if it occurs.

Susan

I love the stuff! Have been using it 1 or 2 times a week for a couple of
months now with no problems whatsoever.

on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:04:59 -0700, Randy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
>and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP

-----
Bev

Pasta is not low carb.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

news:[email protected]...

Alice Faber wrote:

>I had about 2/3 of a serving of the Dreamfields (with pesto!). My blood
>sugar went from 80 to 130 and stayed in the 130 range for 3+ hours; 4
>hours after eating, it was down to 120. For comparison, the next day, I
>had exactly the same thing for dinner, except that instead of the
>Dreamfields I had two small ginger cookies (real cookies, with sugar and
>flour) that had roughly the same available carb content. With that meal,
>I started at 86; one hour after eating, I was at 106, and two hours
>after eating I was at 95. So, the carbs in the Dreamfields were
>mitigated; if it had been regular pasta, in the same quantity, I would
>have been *much* higher. However, there was a definite pizza effect
>there.

"Pizza effect"? Whazzat?

..:. Craig

x-no-archive: yes

>"Pizza effect"? Whazzat?
>
>.:. Craig

The hyperglycemic pizza effect. Rather than lowering the GI of the crust and
sauce, the fat and protein in the cheese combines with them to produce a GL
much higher than their combined GI would indicate.

One study demonstrating how variable GI can be, and unreliable.

Susan

Hm? Are you sure? I thought the 'pizza effect' meant the rise happens later
than would be expected.

Do you have a cite for your version?

Skinny
-------------

On 23 Oct 2004 15:15:17 GMT, Susan wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

>Hm? Are you sure? I thought the 'pizza effect' meant the rise happens later
>than would be expected.
>
>Do you have a cite for your version?

I did actually have an abstract in my archive about a "hyperglycemic effect" of
pizza, but I can't find it today. I'll keep trying.

Susan

x-no-archive: yes

This cite indicates the rise is higher *and* sustained:

Source
Diabetes Care. 16(10):1409-10, 1993 Oct.

<2>
Authors
Ahern JA. Gatcomb PM. Held NA. Petit WA Jr. Tamborlane WV.
Institution
Department of Nursing, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut.
Title
Exaggerated hyperglycemia after a pizza
meal in well-controlled diabetes [see comments].
Comments
Comment in: Diabetes Care 1993 Oct;16(10):1409-10, Comment in: Diabetes Care
1993 Oct;16(10):1410-1
Source
Diabetes Care. 16(4):578-80, 1993 Apr.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE--To examine whether the postprandial hyperglycemic effect of
pizza in well-controlled IDDM patients is related to
overeating or to unique properties of this popular food. RESEARCH DESIGN AND
METHODS--On two evenings, each patient (n = 8) consumed a meal that was
similar in macronutrient composition except that one consisted of
pizza and the other was a control meal that included high
glycemic index foods. The insulin regimen was held constant.
RESULTS--Postprandial glucose levels were within the target range (< or = 10
mM) after the control meal. Although the initial glucose increase was similar
for the two meals, plasma glucose continued to rise and was significantly
increased from 4 to 9 h after ingestion of pizza compared
with the control meal (P < 0.05). This increase occurred even though free
insulin, glucagon, and free fatty acid levels did not differ significantly.
CONCLUSIONS--Our data suggest that pizza has properties that
accentuate and sustain postprandial hyperglycemia.

I ran into this stuff today and according to the nutritional label, it has the
same amount of carbs as regular pasta yet on the front of the box it says
something about "low carb living". What's up with that? I've tried true low
carb, high protein "pasta" and nearly died being a full blooded Italian.

In article <bBied.9000$q%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Pasta is not low carb.
>
>--
>You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW
>

>"Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
>> and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]ospam says...

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>This cite indicates the rise is higher *and* sustained:
>
>Source
> Diabetes Care. 16(10):1409-10, 1993 Oct.
>
><2>
>Authors
> Ahern JA. Gatcomb PM. Held NA. Petit WA Jr. Tamborlane WV.
>Institution
> Department of Nursing, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven,

Connecticut.
>Title
> Exaggerated hyperglycemia after a pizza
> meal in well-controlled diabetes [see comments].
>Comments
> Comment in: Diabetes Care 1993 Oct;16(10):1409-10, Comment in:

Diabetes Care
> 1993 Oct;16(10):1410-1
>Source
> Diabetes Care. 16(4):578-80, 1993 Apr.
>Abstract
> OBJECTIVE--To examine whether the postprandial hyperglycemic effect of
> pizza in well-controlled IDDM patients is related to
> overeating or to unique properties of this popular food. RESEARCH DESIGN

AND
> METHODS--On two evenings, each patient (n = 8) consumed a meal that

was
> similar in macronutrient composition except that one consisted of
> pizza and the other was a control meal that included high
> glycemic index foods. The insulin regimen was held constant.
> RESULTS--Postprandial glucose levels were within the target range (< or =

10
> mM) after the control meal. Although the initial glucose increase was

similar
> for the two meals, plasma glucose continued to rise and was significantly
> increased from 4 to 9 h after ingestion of pizza compared
> with the control meal (P < 0.05). This increase occurred even though free
> insulin, glucagon, and free fatty acid levels did not differ significantly.
> CONCLUSIONS--Our data suggest that pizza has properties that
> accentuate and sustain postprandial hyperglycemia.

"This increase occurred even though free
insulin, glucagon, and free fatty acid levels did not differ significantly."

So what are they saying? Insulin levels were low?

Read the story on the box. They've found a way to block most of the carbs
from being digested. But by law they still have to show them on the label.

on 24 Oct 2004 01:20:44 GMT, [email protected] (Armand) wrote:

>I ran into this stuff today and according to the nutritional label, it has the
>same amount of carbs as regular pasta yet on the front of the box it says
>something about "low carb living". What's up with that? I've tried true low
>carb, high protein "pasta" and nearly died being a full blooded Italian.

-----
Bev

x-no-archive: yes

>So what are they saying? Insulin levels were low?

They're saying that insulin was the same between the two meals, and that the
rise was longer for the pizza meal.

Susan

I love the stuff, but it is a major trigger food for me. It's just
too similar to regular pasta in taste and texture.

ravengal

I'm very sorry to hear that! :-(
I worried that might happen to me, but so far I can eat the 56g serving
once or twice a week and be satisfied. I'm actually quite surprised
because pre-LC I had pasta every day, sometimes twice a day. And when I
started LC, I frantically tried to find LC pasta replacements. I can't eat
the soy-based stuff because it gives me terrible gas so I pretty much had
to go cold-turkey and not have anything but shiritaki noodles until
Dreamfields came along about 6 months later. And Dreamfields is just so
good that I panicked the first time I tasted it thinking that I would start
to want it every day again. Like I said, I'm really surprised that I
don't. And of course very pleased that I seem to be over my pasta-craving
days.
My other pre-LC staple was pizza but I haven't found a good LC replacement
for that yet.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:58:24 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:

>My other pre-LC staple was pizza but I haven't found a good LC replacement
>for that yet.

I just pile some mozzarella cheese on parchment paper, then whatever
toppings I want (usually pepperoni), and microwave it. I don't miss the
sauce or crust at all.

Carol
--
"I'm a loner ... a rebel!"

*Paul Reubens* in the 1985 movie, _Pee Wee's Big Adventure_

YMMV. I feel very bloated after eating regular pasta, like my gut is
stretched out. Dreamfields does NOT cause that feeling. Whole Wheat pasta
(also at Olive Garden) is good too.

:)

Steve

"Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anybody tried this? I can't tell the difference from regular pasta,
> and as long as I keep the portion small (2 oz) I stay in ketosis. -RP

Thanks Carol, but it's just not pizza for me without sauce or crust. :)

on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:34:58 -0500, Carol
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just pile some mozzarella cheese on parchment paper, then whatever
>toppings I want (usually pepperoni), and microwave it. I don't miss the
>sauce or crust at all.
>
>Carol

-----
Bev

[email protected] (Ravengal) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love the stuff, but it is a major trigger food for me. It's just
> too similar to regular pasta in taste and texture.
>
> ravengal

I'm not really doing LC and I tried Dreamfields anyway. I couldn't
really tell the difference between it and regular pasta. I'll buy it
again.