ER: One Week on a SRAM X.Gen Front Der.

Reco Diver

Guest
Short results on the SRAM X.Gen after one week. I will have a longer
report at the end of November.

SRAM X.Gen Front Derailleur
MSRP: $35.00
Price at LBS: $29.99
Cable Pull: Dual
Top Gear Capacity: 44T
Total Capacity 22T
Claimed weight 185gr
Delivery Weight: 189gr
Chain Line 47.5 - 51mm

Pros:
Uses nylon seals over upper and lower link bushings. Should prove to a
durable design …
Over built dual sided inner and outer link. Should prove to a durable
design …
Very stiff return spring. Very positive down shifts.
Shifts as well as XTR Bottom Swing.
Slightly lower price point than XT, much lower price than XTR

Cons or just weird:
Pork when compared to an 117gr XTR or 123gr XT
Silly rubber plug over unused cable clamping location.
The band clamp is only directly compatible with 34.9 and 31.8 seat
tubes. The 28.6 adapter is "available" but not shipped with the
derailleur.

Kit used with X.Gen Front Derailleur
PC89R Chain
X.9 Trigger shifters
X.9 Rear derailleur
TruVative Stylo 44/32/22
PG-990 11-32 9 speed cassette

Shimano free!

Reco Diver wrote:

>Cable Pull: Dual

I'm not even sure what this means but curious to learn...care to explain what a dual pull is? does this mean it can be setup as top or bottom pull?

I'm one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" people in many ways - despite the usual tinkering/improvements most MTB'ers do (including myself). but if my front derailler broke or turned to shat, I'd sure like to consider this option if I knew more about it.

thx.
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Reco Diver wrote:

>SRAM X.Gen Front Derailleur
>MSRP: $35.00
>Price at LBS: $29.99
>Cable Pull: Dual
>Top Gear Capacity: 44T
>Total Capacity 22T
>Claimed weight 185gr
>Delivery Weight: 189gr
>Chain Line 47.5 - 51mm

oh yeah -- does it work with 8-speed stuff?

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

I've been Shimano free but with MRX,5.0,7.0,9.0,and
X-9 on all of my bikes at last it was 6 bike and one still needing
parts. Truvativ crank,Sram chain and more.

I MTB 2004

bri719 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Reco Diver wrote:
>
> >Cable Pull: Dual
> >

> I'm not even sure what this means but curious to learn...care to explain what a dual pull is? does this mean it can be setup as top or bottom pull?

Yes, this Der wors as either a top or bottom pull. I hate to say it,
but just like Shimano has already done, SRAM is producing it as a "One
size fits all". Makes choosing a model easier ... but is comes in two
colors.

<snip>

bri719 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Reco Diver wrote:
>
> >SRAM X.Gen Front Derailleur
> >MSRP: $35.00
> >Price at LBS: $29.99
> >Cable Pull: Dual
> >Top Gear Capacity: 44T
> >Total Capacity 22T
> >Claimed weight 185gr
> >Delivery Weight: 189gr
> >Chain Line 47.5 - 51mm
> >

> oh yeah -- does it work with 8-speed stuff?

It should work with 8 or 7, it is designed for 9 but there is little
difference for front ders.