or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

South Florida Mountain Bike Video - Page 2

post #16 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

TM says:

>The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be Shaun Bell's
>YeAV2 video.

Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to refresh the
memory..

Steve
post #17 of 57

"Stephen Baker" <saildesign@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> TM says:
>
> >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be Shaun Bell's
> >YeAV2 video.

> Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to refresh the
> memory..

Yeah, I just watched them both again myself. They get my vote for the amb
oscar because I can watch them again and enjoy it!!
post #18 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"Stephen Baker" <saildesign@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> TM says:
>
> >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be Shaun Bell's
> >YeAV2 video.

> Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to refresh the
> memory..

Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice of Florida.
post #19 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <pete1NOSPAM@petefagerlin.removethis.com> wrote in
message news:WOXhc.25341$i_2.19965@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

> "Stephen Baker" <saildesign@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> > TM says:
> >
> > >The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be Shaun

Bell's
> > >YeAV2 video.

> > Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to refresh the
> > memory..

> Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice of Florida.

I didn't know what you were talking about and then I found it and watched
it. At first, I thought you were being sarcastic, but I'll be damned,
you're 100% correct.
post #20 of 57

Dan Volker <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as
> Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty
> technical. I have no doubt that this particular trail is good for
> single speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
> begging for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes:

Nice video for the first few minutes. I managed to make it through about
31/2 minutes then bailed. Trail looks pretty fun, a more southern version
of some of our local eastern VA flatland playgrounds. I've ridden in CA,
UT, NM, CO and VA and I think technical must mean something different in
your neck of the woods.

"Technical" in my experience has referred to trails or sections requiring
unique skills, deft manuevers, or high risk to accomplish. I wouldn't
normally take a beginner on a trail described as "plenty technical" for
reasons of both safety and enjoyment. However, after watching the first few
minutes of that vid, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my 9 year old out there.
He'd probably have to push up a few of the inclines, but that's because he
brakes hard before bridges (we're working on that...) and has little twig
legs.

No abuse this time, but I'll offer some unsolicited advice -- just leave the
whole SS topic alone for a bit, post more stuff like your video (but
shorter), maybe the occasional RR. That might lighten the abuse. 'Course I
won't hold my breath.

.....and tell us what you mean by "anytime."

Tom
post #21 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

Pete Fagerlin says:

>Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice of Florida.

True. I still want to see Danny V star in "Amazing Grace", however...

;->

Steve
post #22 of 57

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> "Stephen Baker" <saildesign@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
>
>>TM says:
>>

>>>The other one that would be funny to watch with DV would be Shaun Bell's
>>>YeAV2 video.

>>Now that is a fun little (?) vid. Just watched it again to refresh the
>>memory..

> Hell, Norcal Xtreme features more tech than that slice of Florida.

Hahahaha, damn, you're right.

Greg
post #23 of 57

" S o r n i" <sorni@bite-me.san.rr.com> wrote in message
> Dan Volker wrote:
> > This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as
> > Quiet Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty
> > technical. I have no doubt that this particular trail is good for
> > single speeders, as it has no long straights. I am probably just
> > begging for more abuse, in putting this up, but here goes: {snip}

> OK, I watched 2 1/2 minutes of it; couldn't take the tune much longer!
>
> Good job on the vid for first try; please note there's a reason why most

of
> 'em are 3-6 minutes long (not 28!).

Thanks. I will edit down the next vid to something more like 3-6.

> Looks like a fun place to ride, but not "technical" in any sense of the
> word. (Ruts, sharp rocks, ledges, etc.)

I think technical means something different to me--and maybe I am mis-using
the word. To me, a trail can get technical when ridden fast. The Fort Pierce
trail, if ridden slow, is not technically demanding at all, except maybe for
the short palmetto section 3/4 through the video....but if you are trying to
ride as fast as you can go on it, the turns, loose surface, and obstacles
become challenging at high speed.
We have plenty of trails where you can go fast, and are limited by how fast
you can pedal, long before you get limeted by the "technical" challenge of
the trail at high speeds.

In this particular ride I shot, we were going about 3/4 of my full speed, so
that I would not wreck the camera. The guy ahead of me, races all over the
country in Expert category events, was not working hard at all. The skinsuit
he was wearing is his team Jersey for road events---primary sponsor the
Lawfirm of Bill Bones. I don't think he had any idea you guys would be
critiquing his sponsor logos or colors:-)

And I know it looks like we are going slow, but the camera made it look much
slower than it really was--really;-)

Dan V

post #24 of 57

message news:EGRhc.25186$LY7.956@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...

> "Dan Volker" <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as

Quiet
> > Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I have

> no
> > doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it has

no
> > long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting

> this
> > up, but here goes:

> Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening effects of video,

> saw nothing in that video that would remotely qualify as "plenty

techincal."

> When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that you're joking. If
> you're not, well I rest my case about your cluewbieness.

Pete,
Its only technical when you are trying to ride fast on it. If you take it
easy, there is no technical challenge to speak of. Sandy turns with roots,
have a threshold speed where it gets to be what I call "technical".
Apparently that is completely the wrong word to use, when talking to people
outside of Florida , who see technical as actually being able to get over
something, irrespective of speed. My mistake.

Now as to how slow the pace was, the camera makes it look alot slower than
it is. We were doing about 3/4 speed, to prevent me from wrecking the
camera, but even that is fairly fast if you are riding it, instead of
watching it. You guys can ( and will) believe whatever you want, but I have
ridden this course with guys who race as pros, and with guys who race Expert
class, and the speed we were doing in this video was about 3/4 of full
speed.

Dan V
post #25 of 57

"ZeeExSixAre" <phil_lee@hotmail.computer> wrote in message
> > or all you would have heard was my locomotive volume breathing :-)

> Looks like familiar stuff... Looks like we're missing out on what's out
> West, Dan
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

I know. Local trails are for preparation for good mountain bike
trips---whether to Carolina, to CO, or to any of the big mountains out West.
But I can still enjoy myself on Florida trails....

Dan V
post #26 of 57

"BB" <bbauerAtitude@freeshell.org> wrote in message
> Was that guy in the front heading to a gay pride parade afterward ( and
> did his little outfit REALLY say "Bill Bone"!)?

Bill Bone is the name of a Lawfirm that sponsors a big bike club and race
team in South Florida.
Its not like we have sponsors hanging out of every window offering to help
cycling...

Regards,
Dan V
post #27 of 57

"Slacker" <slacker7@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I can't believe I actually downloaded and watched the entire thing. That
> sucker is huge! And the hell with the last 5 minutes!?!?! You owe me
> about $20... not to mention the tunes... make that $40!
>
> Anyway, pretty good video... you did a great job, especially for the
> first time. The trail does look kinda fun, but as others have already
> commented not very techy. You must not have seen too many SS riders
> because nothing on that trail would give them any trouble.
>
> --
> Slacker

Slacker,
Thanks.
As I said to a few others, apparently I have been using the word technical
incorrectly for people outside of Florida. To me and most of the people I
ride with, it just means that when you get up to a certain speed, you get
very limited by the speed you can handle the turns without blowing out of
the sandy and loose soil, and how fast you can get through the roots and
other obstacles. We have next to no technical sections that are so difficult
they can not be handled at low speeds, and our hills are whoop de doos, so
they are more like roller coasters that sometimes force you to work a little
on the uphill sides.
You get tired from the constant re-acceleration out of turns, coupled with
the mild climbing of ups and downs, and the soil the trails are made out of
is not nearly as fast a surface as most in the rest of the country--meaning
it tires you out a bit all by itself. Some Florida trails actually have
bragging rights about how much sugar sand they have on them, since it bogs
down most riders.

Dan V
post #28 of 57

> "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <pete1NOSPAM@petefagerlin.removethis.com> wrote

in
> message news:EGRhc.25186$LY7.956@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> > "Dan Volker" <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > This trail is our Fort Pierce trail. It is not quite as technical as

> Quiet
> > > Waters, but is considerably more fun, and still plenty technical. I

have
> > no
> > > doubt that this particular trail is good for single speeders, as it

has
> no
> > > long straights. I am probably just begging for more abuse, in putting

> > this
> > > up, but here goes:

> > Even being intimately familiar with the trail-flattening effects of

video,
> > saw nothing in that video that would remotely qualify as "plenty

> techincal."
> >
> > When coupled with the slow pace, I ahve to assume that you're joking. If
> > you're not, well I rest my case about your cluewbieness.
> >

> Pete,
> Its only technical when you are trying to ride fast on it.

Bull****. Fast or slow, it's atechnical. The fact that you can't understand
this simple concept speaks volumes about your riding experience and also
explains your numerous silly claims/comments in amb.

> Now as to how slow the pace was, the camera makes it look alot slower than
> it is.

I'm very familiar with how the camera slows things down. Regardless, the
pace was SLOW, especially for such a buff trail.

We were doing about 3/4 speed, to prevent me from wrecking the
> camera, but even that is fairly fast if you are riding it, instead of
> watching it.

So if you were going 3/4 speed, why were you suffering from "locomotive
breathing"? Put that through your V02 meter, cross check with your HRM, and
try to come up with a plausible answer.
post #29 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

> I know. Local trails are for preparation for good mountain bike
> trips---whether to Carolina, to CO, or to any of the big mountains
> out West. But I can still enjoy myself on Florida trails....
>

> Dan V

Hey - it's all about the ride and the enjoyment... I have no doubt that out
west there are some trails we'd call ridonkulous, and that I would conk out
minutes into them. I think all trails and all riding is a learning
experience... I enjoy myself on my road bike, MTB or whatever!

And the video wasn't bad - I believe, however, that there's really no point
in defending Florida terrain against people who ride 1000' climbs in several
miles, etc. etc. You and I know what it's like... there's not much to
defend. I know what you mean when you say "technical" but like you said,
there are different definitions.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training
post #30 of 57

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
>>I know. Local trails are for preparation for good mountain bike
>>trips---whether to Carolina, to CO, or to any of the big mountains
>>out West. But I can still enjoy myself on Florida trails....
>>

>>Dan V

> Hey - it's all about the ride and the enjoyment... I have no doubt that out
> west there are some trails we'd call ridonkulous, and that I would conk out
> minutes into them. I think all trails and all riding is a learning
> experience... I enjoy myself on my road bike, MTB or whatever!
>
> And the video wasn't bad - I believe, however, that there's really no point
> in defending Florida terrain against people who ride 1000' climbs in several
> miles, etc. etc. You and I know what it's like... there's not much to
> defend. I know what you mean when you say "technical" but like you said,
> there are different definitions.

So I take it the Florida definition of rock climbing is to run really fast
down the highway dodging cars, pedestrians, dogs on leashes, cyclists, and
other runners?

Technical is technical whether you ride it fast or slow. And as someone
else said a technical trail could be defined as one you wouldn't want to
take a beginner on.

Greg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home