or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

South Florida Mountain Bike Video - Page 4

post #46 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

> Do you have any suggestions for this? I need to end up with a really
> good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV stations, so that they will
> give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city and county
> to make this a park.

You may want to give some serious thought as to whether an "extreeem" MTB
video is a good tool to promote the park as a public multi-use area.

I think for general public appeal, just videotape some of the spectacular
foliage and features which would be forever lost if it were sold and
developed.
post #47 of 57

"Per Elmsäter" <perDOTelmsater@telia.com> wrote in message news:<izeic.57019$mU6.234690@newsb.telia.net>...
> Dan Volker wrote:
> > ...And I don't think I should be making
> > challenges to riders like JD.
> >

> Don't worry. I heard the Fab Five are out to get him.
> http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/

Queers are so cute and lovable on tv. Funny and witty.

When you go into a rest area bathroom late at night and happen
upon some guy shoving his **** up anothers ass is when it's not
so cute and lovable.
post #48 of 57

"John Harlow" <sirsausage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You may want to give some serious thought as to whether an "extreeem" MTB
> video is a good tool to promote the park as a public >multi-use area.

I don't think dv needs any backseat driving on this effort. Look at how
successful his quiet waters campaign was here!
(I wonder if some old guy on usenet right now is the future president of the
ft pierce condo assoc?)
post #49 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"John Harlow" <sirsausage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Do you have any suggestions for this? I need to end up with a really
> > good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV stations, so that they will
> > give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city and county
> > to make this a park.

> You may want to give some serious thought as to whether an "extreeem" MTB
> video is a good tool to promote the park as a public multi-use area.
>
> I think for general public appeal, just videotape some of the spectacular
> foliage and features which would be forever lost if it were sold and
> developed.

John,
I agree completely it should not look extreme. One thing I think I will do
when I go back for the side and front views, is to shoot the cut-offs that
allow novice riders to ride around virtually every obstacle that has a
significant "Florida Technical" element to it :-) In the video that goes to
the TV stations, a rider could be added doing the cut out just as the other
one is doing the obstacle...so we can show it is good for the whole family.
Thanks for your input.
Dan V
post #50 of 57

"BB" <bbauerAtitude@freeshell.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:30:28 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:
> >
> > With some of the side shots, I should be able to capture some of the

actual
> > speed feeling. Do you have any suggestions for this? I need to end up

with a
> > really good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV stations, so that they

will
> > give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city and county to

make
> > this a park.

> If you want to get general support to make it a park, you'd be better off
> showing a variety of activities, not just focusing on one. Showing how
> fast you can go is likely to make it very UNappealing to anyone who wants
> to go there for a relaxing stroll. Remember, the average American isn't
> exactly in the best of shape, and you don't want to make it sound like
> you're asking to fund a park that most people wouldn't use.
>
> --

BB,
This could be used for hiking as well I suppose, which would open up the
park to a larger level of support...and one major component of making this a
park will be helping to allow the authorities more control in keeping the 3
wheeled ATV crowd out of this park and some areas adjacent to the trail (
where they are pissing all the landowners off with their noise pollution
right now).

In keeping with your main point, maybe I should shoot some footage of a
family out for a ride together on this trail....I could show them doing the
cut-outs that allow them to miss the bridges and bigger drops & short
climbs, etc. ---and edit back and forth between them doing these sections
along with some of the more sane obstacles ridden by the racer. And I have
plenty of "the beauty of the trail" type footage already.

Dan V
post #51 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:38:27 -0400, "Dan Volker"
<dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"BB" <bbauerAtitude@freeshell.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:30:28 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:
>> >
>> > With some of the side shots, I should be able to capture some of the

>actual
>> > speed feeling. Do you have any suggestions for this? I need to end up

>with a
>> > really good 60 seconds of video to get to the TV stations, so that they

>will
>> > give us air time, and ultimately, to help get the city and county to

>make
>> > this a park.

>> If you want to get general support to make it a park, you'd be better off
>> showing a variety of activities, not just focusing on one. Showing how
>> fast you can go is likely to make it very UNappealing to anyone who wants
>> to go there for a relaxing stroll.

as one guy who enjoys mtb but doesn't have much skills,
i can say that advertising a trail ride as "extremely tech
singletrack" will keep me away. just yesterday i ws looking
on the 'net for some mtb trails to ride and i found a place
near where i'll be this summer. "GREAT" "EXTREME"
"DROPS" were some of the words riders used to
describe it. To me, it's a no-go. I like trails. Mostly
smooth, thru forests or open fields. i can't jump
logs. Drops will drop me.
....thehick
post #52 of 57

cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:
> ...this section, I think it's called Jacob's Ladder,
> was a challenge and a feast for us.
>
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...ckMoab2000.jpg

Actually, I don't think that's Jacob's Ladder. This is a picture of
the real Jacob's Ladder from near the top:

http://www.arkansasvalley.net/images/WalkDown.jpg

Sorry for the image quality, that shot was taken with a film camera
and scanned (which is what we were forced to do back in the dark ages,
9 years ago). Jacob's Ladder is a full-on awkward hike-a-bike. Not
even remotely ridable.

But your point is well-taken. "Technical" is a matter of experience
and perspective. My advice for the world of internet chest-thumpers:

Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled* *personally*
to places that are supposedly technical. You can't see it in a picture
or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't really
understand it by hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta
see if with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

When you first see something that re-sets your own definition of the
word technical, you won't be able to ride it. Your mind will be blown.

Perhaps I'll call this a "Horsethief Epiphany" (in paladin's honor),
where you follow tire tracks up to something, look at it, and whisper
to yourself "omigod! people actually RIDE this!"

If you spend some time and work your way into it, you can amaze yourself
with what can be ridden. But not when you first see it. Unless you're 19.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so

"Tom Purvis" <team_bfd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:

> Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled* *personally*
> to places that are supposedly technical. You can't see it in a picture
> or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't really
> understand it by hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta
> see if with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

Sure you can.

If you have experience riding and photographing/filming technical terrain
you can appreciate it when you see other's examples.
post #54 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

> control in keeping the 3 wheeled ATV crowd

People still ride those? I thought they'd all been killed off by now!
post #55 of 57

team_bfd@yahoo.com (Tom Purvis) wrote:

>But your point is well-taken. "Technical" is a matter of experience
>and perspective. My advice for the world of internet chest-thumpers:
>
>Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled* *personally*
>to places that are supposedly technical. You can't see it in a picture
>or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't really
>understand it by hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta
>see if with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

A great example of this was the 2000 Olympics XC course. The general
consensus of those watching it on TV was that it was "flat and easy".
Having walked the entire course, I can assure you that there were
places that were NOT either. Sure it wasn't the kind of course that
you'd push the limits of a full-on DH bike, but most of the women's
field ended up walking (up) at least one or two of the hills (and
they're a lot stronger than 99.9% of us). There were some nasty
off-camber switchbacks that were a LOT tougher than they came across
on TV as well.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
post #56 of 57

Re: South Florida Mountain Bike Video

"Dan Volker" <dvolker@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<t%Phc.69824$UC4.39737@bignews2.bellsouth.net>...
<snip more sadness>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...technical.

JD
post #57 of 57

"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <pete1NOSPAM@petefagerlin.removethis.com> wrote in message news:<gNQic.40981$SD3.24398@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Tom Purvis" <team_bfd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote:

> > Keep your bragging to yourself until *you've* *travelled* *personally*
> > to places that are supposedly technical. You can't see it in a picture
> > or an MPEG running in a 300 pixel x 400 pixel window, you can't really
> > understand it by hearing from somebody else in a usenet post. Gotta
> > see if with your own eyes and feel it with your own butt.

> Sure you can.
>
> If you have experience riding and photographing/filming technical terrain
> you can appreciate it when you see other's examples.

Word.

JD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home