Aurora activity.

Stuart

Guest
After hearing reports on the bbc weather of a northern lights show. I have
just spent the last few hours up in the Cheviots observing the northern
skyline. It is though distant towns are lighting up parts of the horizon
when I know none can be seen!

This observation is very different to previous encounters with the Aurora
Borealis, in the past the lights have shimmered, danced and changed colour,
and even been directly overhead, on this occasion it is best described as a
cross between light pollution from distant towns or a Northern June midnight
skyline.

Impressive none the less!

Stuart

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After hearing reports on the bbc weather of a northern lights show. I have
> just spent the last few hours up in the Cheviots observing the northern
> skyline. It is though distant towns are lighting up parts of the horizon
> when I know none can be seen!
>
> This observation is very different to previous encounters with the Aurora
> Borealis, in the past the lights have shimmered, danced and changed

colour,
> and even been directly overhead, on this occasion it is best described as

> cross between light pollution from distant towns or a Northern June

midnight
> skyline.

What i could see is very well typified by what the Aboyne web cam is
currently showing. I took the following screen shot
http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/ab.jpg

Stuart wrote:
> "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>After hearing reports on the bbc weather of a northern lights show. I have
>>just spent the last few hours up in the Cheviots observing the northern
>>skyline. It is though distant towns are lighting up parts of the horizon
>>when I know none can be seen!
>>
>>This observation is very different to previous encounters with the Aurora
>>Borealis, in the past the lights have shimmered, danced and changed

> colour,
>
>>and even been directly overhead, on this occasion it is best described as

>>cross between light pollution from distant towns or a Northern June

> midnight
>
>>skyline.
>>

> What i could see is very well typified by what the Aboyne web cam is
> currently showing. I took the following screen shot
> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/ab.jpg

BBC Southern Counties Radio reported this morning that the lights could
be seen as far south as Canterbury last night.

--
Sid B

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as SidB <[email protected]> descended
* on a shaft of golden sunlight, and announced:

> BBC Southern Counties Radio reported this morning that the lights could
> be seen as far south as Canterbury last night.

I subscribe to York University's 'Aurora Watch', but haven't had any
notifications for a long while. I'll check out teir web site.

Regards: Jim Ford

On 10 Nov 2004 18:09:20 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I subscribe to York University's 'Aurora Watch', but haven't had any
>notifications for a long while. I'll check out teir web site.

I have had three notifications this week from the York 'Aurora Watch'

hth Dave

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:35:52 +0000, David Richards <> wrote:

>On 10 Nov 2004 18:09:20 GMT, Jim Ford <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>
>>I subscribe to York University's 'Aurora Watch', but haven't had any
>>notifications for a long while. I'll check out teir web site.
>>

>I have had three notifications this week from the York 'Aurora Watch'

Beware they talk in tongues over there... I noticed mention of 'UT'
but I think I got away in time!!!
;-)

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

Anyone enjoying the Mossmoran show right now..

Been down to the shore to try and get some piccies... Thats what I
call a Bunsen Burner

Richard Webb

[email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Anyone enjoying the Mossmoran show right now..
>
> Been down to the shore to try and get some piccies... Thats what I
> call a Bunsen Burner
>

> Richard Webb

Indeed.

Mossmoran local to you?

--
Brian

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:35:07 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>After hearing reports on the bbc weather of a northern lights show. I have
>just spent the last few hours up in the Cheviots observing the northern
>skyline. It is though distant towns are lighting up parts of the horizon
>when I know none can be seen!
>
>This observation is very different to previous encounters with the Aurora
>Borealis, in the past the lights have shimmered, danced and changed colour,
>and even been directly overhead, on this occasion it is best described as a
>cross between light pollution from distant towns or a Northern June midnight
>skyline.
>
>Impressive none the less!

The readings from Aurora Watch
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/ have been quite
impressive the last 2 or 3 nights, and there are some excellent photos
on their site from Aberdeenshire. It's been completely cloudy here
throughout :-(

Simon

On 11 Nov 2004 07:41:36 GMT, Brian <[email protected]>

>Mossmoran local to you?

Not exactly, but that flame is so big .... I am in Edinburgh now.

Richard Webb

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:10:34 -0500, Brian
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:28:51 +0000, RJ Webb wrote:
>

>> Not exactly, but that flame is so big .... I am in Edinburgh now.
>>

>> Richard Webb

>Ah right - not too far from me - I'm in Dalgety Bay /me waves!
>
>Apparantly if Mossmorran goes "pop" the surrounding hills are supposed to
>direct the blast upwards. Whether that is true or just an urban legend is
>another matter entirely!

I heard that when they were building it..

Not much comfort for Beith folk though....

Richard Webb

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:28:51 +0000, RJ Webb wrote:

> Not exactly, but that flame is so big .... I am in Edinburgh now.
>

> Richard Webb

Ah right - not too far from me - I'm in Dalgety Bay /me waves!

Apparantly if Mossmorran goes "pop" the surrounding hills are supposed to
direct the blast upwards. Whether that is true or just an urban legend is
another matter entirely!

:-o

--
Brian

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
> * of violets, as SidB <[email protected]> descended
> * on a shaft of golden sunlight, and announced:
>
>> BBC Southern Counties Radio reported this morning that the lights could
>> be seen as far south as Canterbury last night.

> I subscribe to York University's 'Aurora Watch', but haven't had any
> notifications for a long while. I'll check out teir web site.
>
> Regards: Jim Ford

Aurora watch moved to University of Lancaster - if you didn't reregister
for announcements they ceased.
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/rt_activity/
Roger