Any experience re Quetzal Paraiso Exotico Recumbent?

Ron

Guest
I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my plans
forward. If I want to ride any more this year, it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my
regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back to the roads. My problem is there is virtually only
one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries any bents whatsoever! The brand carried is Quetzal Cycles
made in the province of Quebec -- the best of the line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame,
120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this coming week.

My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have any
experience with this machine? Any recommendations? Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back
cycling, I want something I'll be happy with on long day tours.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

120 speeds = 3 X 8 X 5, had it been a 27 speed you'd get a max of 135 speeds. Only negative thing I
ever heard about the bent is that the seat tends to suddenly Deflate in hot weather riding and the
bent despite being Aluminium is still on the heavy side...probably in part due to all the extra not
needed gears. I used to ride a (silver colored) Peugeot 105 speed LWB 3 X 7 X 5 and it was
fine...but a tad heavy. The Exotico is an updated Peugeot 105. Odd thing about the Exotico is the
price is quite low for what you get, when compared to just about every big name LWB out there, yet
the Exotico never caught on in a big way.
-------------------------------
"ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my plans
> forward. If I want to ride any more this
year,
> it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back to
> the roads. My problem is there is virtually only one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries any
> bents whatsoever! The
brand
> carried is Quetzal Cycles made in the province of Quebec -- the best of
the
> line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame, 120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this
> coming week.
>
> My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have any
> experience with this machine? Any
recommendations?
> Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back cycling, I want something I'll be happy with
on
> long day tours.
>
> Any comments would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Ron
>
> URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

I recently made the switch for similar reasons. I've found the wealth of information in this forum
to be quite helpful, but no substitute for actually having an opportunity to ride a number of
different bikes. Even if you have to travel a few hours to find a dealer who can allow you to demo a
couple of bikes, it will be worth it to you in the long run. I was able to have rides of 45 minutes
or more to find a few that didn't grab me, one that strained my calves, and two that were just
right. As a starting point, I also found it helpful to avail myself of the consulting service
offered by Bob Bryant, publisher of Recumbent Cyclist News ( www.recumbentcyclistnews.com ). Bob is
a great guy. The service also includes a subscription to his journal, and a few back issues. Good
deal. Have fun, and best of luck in your recovery.

news:[email protected]...

"garyralph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<nnbFa.1175048$F1.139783@sccrnsc04>...
> I recently made the switch for similar reasons. I've found the wealth of information in this forum
> to be quite helpful, but no substitute for actually having an opportunity to ride a number of
> different bikes. Even if you have to travel a few hours to find a dealer who can allow you to demo
> a couple of bikes, it will be worth it to you in the long run. I was able to have rides of 45
> minutes or more to find a few that didn't grab me, one that strained my calves, and two that were
> just right. As a starting point, I also found it helpful to avail myself of the consulting service
> offered by Bob Bryant, publisher of Recumbent Cyclist News ( www.recumbentcyclistnews.com ). Bob
> is a great guy. The service also includes a subscription to his journal, and a few back issues.
> Good deal. Have fun, and best of luck in your recovery.
>
> Gary "ron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have been considering a bent for about a year now but a recent neck operation has moved my
> > plans forward. If I want to ride any more this
> year,
> > it will have to be on a bent. I put 5000 km on my regular DF last year so I'm eager to get back
> > to the roads. My problem is there is virtually only one shop within 150 - 200 km which carries
> > any bents whatsoever! The
> brand
> > carried is Quetzal Cycles made in the province of Quebec -- the best of
> the
> > line is the Paraiso Exotico (USS, aluminum frame, 120 gears, LWB). I plan to test ride it this
> > coming week.
> >
> > My question: I know this is not a standard brand like RANS or Easy Rider but does anyone have
> > any experience with this machine? Any
> recommendations?
> > Anyone riding one? While I am eager to get back cycling, I want something I'll be happy with
> on
> > long day tours.
> >
> > Any comments would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks, Ron
> >
> > URL for this model: http://www.quetzal.ca/paraiso-en.html

Not to be negative...but I read a review about the Quetzel in one of RCN's previous issues and the
bike really didn't perform well, wasn't comfortable to ride, and was very heavy. I think Bob Bryant
said that the company even abandoned the bike. My advice to you is to stick with Rans, easy racers,
or some of the other known brands. You can get a Rans tailwind, stratus, V2 or other off ebay
relatively inexpensive. I have owned and ridden over 29 different bents and I have found that the
major bent manufacturers really do produce consistently good overall bikes. Rans seats are great,
and the performance of their bikes is good. Vision is also one of my favorites, although this is not
as common of a favorite as some at least on this newsgroup. I think as a new recumbent rider you
would be wise to steer clear of the Quetzels. Marci

If you are asking about the Quetzal because you are in Canada, I think you should also take a look
at the Maxarya:

http://www.maxarya.com/

They are located in Toronto.

John Riley

Yes, I am in Canada -- eastern Ontario. I agree with you on the Maxarya. I was in Toronto in March
but unfortunately could not make it to the one dealer that sells them in Toronto - aside from the
fact there was still 2 ft of snow on the ground! A shop in Montreal also carries them according to
the marketing person I contacted at Maxarya . The Ray 1x seems like a very interesting bike. I agree
with the earlier post about trying as many bikes as possible so plan to travel to Montreal and
Toronto this month if possible to check the stock.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron

news:[email protected]...

ron wrote:

> Yes, I am in Canada -- eastern Ontario. I agree with you on the Maxarya. I was in Toronto in March
> but unfortunately could not make it to the one dealer that sells them in Toronto - aside from the
> fact there was still 2 ft of snow on the ground! A shop in Montreal also carries them according to
> the marketing person I contacted at Maxarya . The Ray 1x seems like a very interesting bike. I
> agree with the earlier post about trying as many bikes as possible so plan to travel to Montreal
> and Toronto this month if possible to check the stock.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Ron
>
> "john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you are asking about the Quetzal because you are in Canada, I think you should also take a
> > look at the Maxarya:
> >
> > http://www.maxarya.com/
> >
> > They are located in Toronto.
> >
> > John Riley
Hello,

I have test rode the Paraiso last year and found it to be Ok. I owned a Bike E CT at the time and
found the Quetzals to be faster bikes. I have since given my Bike E to my wife and bought the
Quetzal Misterio. It was half the price of the Paraiso and is fully suspended. The difference in the
number of gears is negligible, 120 versus 105. The Quetzals are OK for recreational riding but not
for racing. You should expect an average cruising speed of about 20 to 25 KM/Hr.

Regards,

R. Poirier Quetzal Misterio 2003

Richard, I looked at the Misterio briefly but have decided not to bother trying it mainly because of
the heavier weight (45 lb vs 33 lb, according to an email from Quetzal). With that weight (which
seems quite high), I am not surprized at your touring speed -- hopefully the Paraiso Exotico will be
faster -- I like to cruise in the low 30s if possible. While there are things about the design of
the Paraiso Exotico that I do not like, I have decided to really give it a chance. A LBS has one for
rent by the day which plan to do Monday. I think I will also visit Montreal and/or Toronto shops to
try other options before making a decision on the Paraiso Exotico. Thanks, Ron

news:[email protected]...