How to replace Sidi strap?

res09c5t

Guest
Hi,
I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Dominators that I bought a couple of years back
and one of the buckles broke this morning. When I bought the shoes, I
purchased a set of replacement buckles and straps. I've run into a couple
of snags and hope someone can help out. I couldn't find any "how to" on the
Sidi website.

My questions are:
1) The replacement buckles and straps are slightly different. The ones on
the shoes have the ridges running all the way across the straps, the
replacements have the ridges only down the middle. This appears to require
me to replace them as a unit. Will this different style go on the shoe?
The buckle goes on fine but I'm wondering about the strap. Which leads to
the second question....

2) How is the strap attached? I can't figure out how to get the old one
loose and don't want to do my typical "pry till it snaps" unless that is
recommended.

Thanks!
Lyle

res09c5t wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Dominators that I bought a couple of years back
> and one of the buckles broke this morning. When I bought the shoes, I
> purchased a set of replacement buckles and straps. I've run into a couple
> of snags and hope someone can help out. I couldn't find any "how to" on the
> Sidi website.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) The replacement buckles and straps are slightly different. The ones on
> the shoes have the ridges running all the way across the straps, the
> replacements have the ridges only down the middle. This appears to require
> me to replace them as a unit. Will this different style go on the shoe?
> The buckle goes on fine but I'm wondering about the strap. Which leads to
> the second question....
>
> 2) How is the strap attached? I can't figure out how to get the old one
> loose and don't want to do my typical "pry till it snaps" unless that is
> recommended.

On my 2000 vintage Sidi shoes, the strap is simply held in place by
another ridge of the same size and shape as those on the rest of the
strap (but with a flat area in front of the ridge. The strap simply fits
through the rectangular opening on the tongue of the shoe. Gently prying
the lip of this opening with a flat-bladed screwdriver will allow the
strap to be extracted.

--
Tom Sherman

res09c5t wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Dominators that I bought a couple of years back
> and one of the buckles broke this morning. When I bought the shoes, I
> purchased a set of replacement buckles and straps. I've run into a couple
> of snags and hope someone can help out. I couldn't find any "how to" on the
> Sidi website.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) The replacement buckles and straps are slightly different. The ones on
> the shoes have the ridges running all the way across the straps, the
> replacements have the ridges only down the middle. This appears to require
> me to replace them as a unit. Will this different style go on the shoe?
> The buckle goes on fine but I'm wondering about the strap. Which leads to
> the second question....
>
> 2) How is the strap attached? I can't figure out how to get the old one
> loose and don't want to do my typical "pry till it snaps" unless that is
> recommended.

AFAIK all straps interchange but check with Veltec on that.
To remove one, push the strap backwards. It passes through a
sleeve on the shoe that is the same color nylon and hard to see.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Hi,
Thanks for the quick answers. With that info, I changed it out in about 10
seconds. Not sure how I missed that. It's so obvious. Also, the other
style of strap worked just fine as long as I have the matching buckle and
strap.
Thanks again!
Lyle

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Dominators that I bought a couple of

years back
> and one of the buckles broke this morning. When I bought the shoes,

> purchased a set of replacement buckles and straps. I've run into a

couple
> of snags and hope someone can help out. I couldn't find any "how to"

on the
> Sidi website.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) The replacement buckles and straps are slightly different. The

ones on
> the shoes have the ridges running all the way across the straps, the
> replacements have the ridges only down the middle. This appears to

require
> me to replace them as a unit. Will this different style go on the

shoe?
> The buckle goes on fine but I'm wondering about the strap. Which

leads to
> the second question....
>
> 2) How is the strap attached? I can't figure out how to get the old

one
> loose and don't want to do my typical "pry till it snaps" unless that

is
> recommended.
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

There are 2 versions of the Sidi strap. The new version is called
ultra microlock or something like that. Parts can be found mail order
or in shops. Don't think you can find the old parts easily. The new
one is not backwards compatible, so you need both the strap and buckle
when changing versions. I find the new buckles better than the old.
The hinge pins on the old ones used to slide out over time.

Funny thing is it sounds like your old strap is the new version, your
replacement is the old version. For a quick check, look at the photos
on the web, such as www.excelsports.com
Simply push the old strap out and slide the new one in.

You're right. My shoes came with the newer style but the replacements I got
were the older style. I bought them both from Performance or Nashbar at the
same time. I can't remember which any more. Go figure. I guess I bought
them at the transition time.
Thanks!
Lyle
news:[email protected]...