I have not fallen off my bike

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
Even if I do go quiet for a couple of days. I may or may not be
taking part in a Gathering of the Clans in a location not unadjacent
to Leominster[1] Youth Hostel. Any urcers who live nearby, feel free
to stop at the sign of the girlie pink Volvo. But the Blandford Fly
is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

[1] And what haominster spelled it like that I want to know?

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> But the Blandford Fly
> is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

You can keep the pesky b(l)ighters, just don't badger me for some beer
though ;-)

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> Even if I do go quiet for a couple of days. I may or may not be
> taking part in a Gathering of the Clans in a location not unadjacent
> to Leominster[1] Youth Hostel. Any urcers who live nearby, feel free
> to stop at the sign of the girlie pink Volvo. But the Blandford Fly
> is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

Not unless I get there first!

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> [1] And what haominster spelled it like that I want to know?

Well, as long as you don't end up in Ireland by mistake...

(Did you hear the one about the opera sets that got delivered to Beirut
instead of Bayreuth?)

Re the subject line: I notice there have been a lot of accidents among
URCers recently. You all have my deepest sympathies. I was nearly among
your number the other day when taking a corner slightly too fast in the
wet - despite applying the brakes well in advance and letting off before
entering the turn, I misjudged the sharpness of the corner and felt my
front wheel disappear from under me... I have no idea how I managed to
stay upright. Immediately on returning home I made a ritual bonfire of
inner tubes to say thanks to the cycling gods.

Just looking at the weather out there and thinking twice about whether
or not to go out tomorrow morning...

d.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:39:00 +0000, [email protected] (Andy
Hewitt) wrote in message
<1gp0eru.jfygitkg4pbrN%[email protected]>:

>> the Blandford Fly is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

>Not unless I get there first!

Thanks for reminding me, I'll hide it as I unpack ;-)

[ note to onlookers: Andy is my bro-in-law ]

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:54:35 +0000, davek <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I notice there have been a lot of accidents among
>URCers recently. You all have my deepest sympathies. I was nearly among
>your number the other day when taking a corner slightly too fast in the
>wet - despite applying the brakes well in advance and letting off before
>entering the turn,

I have found my bike a bit sideways a couple of times lately, but I
have finally worked out that the front brake is actually below par, so
the back is swinging out. New pads of a sintered variety have been
obtained at Enormous Expense and will be fitted close to that plant
over there[1].

Hey - let's be careful out there!

[1] the near fuchsia.

Guy
--

dave k wrote:
> I notice there have been a lot of accidents among URCers recently.

Indeed. Hopefully my cast comes off on Monday, and I may also have a
working computer by then so I can write in all the details. (Having an
immobile right wrist seems to have made my spelling go to pieces, for
some reason). Also looking forward to going out on the bike.

> Even if I do go quiet for a couple of days. I may or may not be
> taking part in a Gathering of the Clans in a location not unadjacent
> to Leominster[1] Youth Hostel. Any urcers who live nearby, feel free
> to stop at the sign of the girlie pink Volvo. But the Blandford Fly
> is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

You will (see title) if you consume too much.

davek wrote:

> Re the subject line: I notice there have been a lot of accidents among
> URCers recently. You all have my deepest sympathies. I was nearly among
> your number the other day when taking a corner slightly too fast in the
> wet - despite applying the brakes well in advance and letting off before
> entering the turn, I misjudged the sharpness of the corner and felt my
> front wheel disappear from under me... I have no idea how I managed to
> stay upright. Immediately on returning home I made a ritual bonfire of
> inner tubes to say thanks to the cycling gods.

I've had partial front wheel washouts on the last two Saturdays, both on
RH bends, both on roads that looked OK and weren't icy. It's so rare
for this to happen on anything except ice that I'm suspicious of the tyres.

In article <41c715ef.0@entanet>, [email protected] says...
> I've had partial front wheel washouts on the last two Saturdays, both on
> RH bends, both on roads that looked OK and weren't icy. It's so rare
> for this to happen on anything except ice that I'm suspicious of the tyres.

I'd hold your horses. Roads have been REALLY BAD over the past few
weeks. I've let my tyre pressures down and have found better traction.
Most of the regular crew I ride with have had 'partial washouts'
lately...we all ride different flavours of tyres.

Give it a few more miles and then decide.

--
Mark (MSA)
Remember, half the people you know are below average

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:39:00 +0000, [email protected] (Andy
> Hewitt) wrote in message
> <1gp0eru.jfygitkg4pbrN%[email protected]>:
>
> >> the Blandford Fly is MINE! ALL MINE!!!!

> >Not unless I get there first!

> Thanks for reminding me, I'll hide it as I unpack ;-)
>
> [ note to onlookers: Andy is my bro-in-law ]

<slurp> cheers!

6 hours to get home BTW.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/thehewitts/index.htm

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:33:02 +0000, [email protected] (Andy
Hewitt) wrote in message
<1gp7h8l.s7h2gl5ltiobN%[email protected]>:

>6 hours to get home BTW.

2 1/4 for us, but I bet you beat my 32mpg :)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:33:02 +0000, [email protected] (Andy
> Hewitt) wrote in message
> <1gp7h8l.s7h2gl5ltiobN%[email protected]>:
>
> >6 hours to get home BTW.

> 2 1/4 for us, but I bet you beat my 32mpg :)

Just a little :)

About 40mpg, but a) I wasn't hanging about, and b) the traffic was
shite.