or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mayo crashes before =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pav=E9?=

post #1 of 88
Iban Mayo has been involved in a big pile-up just before the cobbles.
His shorts are ripped and he has a big gash on his left thigh but seems
to be regaining the bunch.
post #2 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pav=E9?=

Ullrich is in the same group dip****.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com
post #3 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

"David Off" <david.off_dumpthisbit_@voila.fr> schreef in bericht
> Iban Mayo has been involved in a big pile-up just before the cobbles.
> His shorts are ripped and he has a big gash on his left thigh but seems
> to be regaining the bunch.

Ofcourse, that's the moment that the bunch of US Postal assholes decide to
ride a tempo that prevents Mayo from rejoining the group. Armstrong expects
everyone else to wait for him, but God forbid that he would extend that
courtesy to others.
post #4 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

David Off wrote:
> Iban Mayo has been involved in a big pile-up just before the cobbles.
> His shorts are ripped and he has a big gash on his left thigh but seems
> to be regaining the bunch.

Marco Velo looks to be out -- blood all over his jersey.
post #5 of 88

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
> "David Off" <david.off_dumpthisbit_@voila.fr> schreef in bericht
>
>>Iban Mayo has been involved in a big pile-up just before the cobbles.
>>His shorts are ripped and he has a big gash on his left thigh but seems
>>to be regaining the bunch.

> Ofcourse, that's the moment that the bunch of US Postal assholes decide to
> ride a tempo that prevents Mayo from rejoining the group. Armstrong expects
> everyone else to wait for him, but God forbid that he would extend that
> courtesy to others.

So you're blaming Armstrong and Postal for having the sense to be
leading the group when entering a difficult stretch?
post #6 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

"Gary" <specializedallez@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> I believe the wait is expected for the yellow jersey only, although I
> may be mistaken about that.

You're mistaken. It has nothing to do with the yellow jersey. If your rival
has a fall, you're supposed not to attack. It has been done several times in
the Tour, but is still - and rightly so - considered to be very
unsportsmanslike.

Benjo Maso
post #7 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

"Gary" <specializedallez@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> I believe the wait is expected for the yellow jersey only, although I
> may be mistaken about that.

There is no expected wait. Ullrich showed his class by waiting, Armstrong
does not.

Jonathan.
post #8 of 88

Robert Chung wrote:

> Marco Velo looks to be out -- blood all over his jersey.

absolutely horrible crash for Velo, a fractured clavicule. Very nasty.
post #9 of 88

Bird wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:46:22 -0400, Top Sirloin
> <scottjohnson@tornadosaregood.planetkc.com> wrote:
>

>>Ullrich is in the same group dip****.

> But the teams of Arrmstrong and Hamilton were doing the job, specially
> in the begin, when the difference was being build up.

And your point is? None them were going to piss
away the opportunity.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com
post #10 of 88

AMG wrote:
> Of course, Ullrich isn't waiting here either.
>
> Perhaps it is assumed that the second group will close the gap by the end
> of the stage? In that case, waiting or not makes no difference. We'll see
> in a short while how this ends up.

Don't be silly. They're riding to put time on Mayo and everyone else in
the second group. It's about winning the Tour.

The justification, I suspect, is that this was a split made on the pave.
Splits on the pave are expected -- part of the game. There's no
gentleman's agreement to neutralize the cobbles.

Dan
post #11 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

"benjo maso" <benjo.maso@chello.nl> schreef in bericht

> "Gary" <specializedallez@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> > I believe the wait is expected for the yellow jersey only, although I
> > may be mistaken about that.

> You're mistaken. It has nothing to do with the yellow jersey. If your

rival
> has a fall, you're supposed not to attack. It has been done several times

in
> the Tour, but is still - and rightly so - considered to be very
> unsportsmanslike.
>
> Benjo Maso

It might not have anything to do with the yellow jersey, but it has to be
pointed out that Hushovd was also held up by a fall, according to Dekker. It
would have been strange if he simply wasn't able to keep the pace on a
cobbled section, as I think he is quite good at riding there.
post #12 of 88

Top Sirloin wrote:
> Bird wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 09:46:22 -0400, Top Sirloin
>> <scottjohnson@tornadosaregood.planetkc.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Ullrich is in the same group dip****.

>> But the teams of Arrmstrong and Hamilton were doing the job, specially
>> in the begin, when the difference was being build up.

> And your point is? None them were going to piss away the opportunity.

Yeah, what he said.

Did anyone really think that Leblanc put the cobbles there just to make
for an interesting stage win? Crashing that close to the pave is
essentially crashing on the pave, IMHO, considering how a peloton
approaches such an obstacle.
post #13 of 88

Bird wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:22:45 -0400, Top Sirloin
> <scottjohnson@tornadosaregood.planetkc.com> wrote:
>

>>>But the teams of Arrmstrong and Hamilton were doing the job, specially
>>>in the begin, when the difference was being build up.

>>And your point is? None them were going to piss
>>away the opportunity.

> My point is Ullrichs team was _not_ doing the job. Armstrong and
> Hamilton decide it would be nice to get an extra benefit from Mayo's
> fall.

I saw at least one Telekom guy with the US postal team once they
realised that Mayo and co. were off the back.
post #14 of 88

Re: Mayo crashes before Pavé

"Daremo" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
> 3 Telekom riders were in the 4 minute + group, and 2 USPS riders were in
> that or the 10 + minute group.
>
> It's a race, people crash.
>
> You don't wait for someone because you want to have a better/closer race
> 15 stages later in the mountains, that's just idiotic!
> That's how racing is, you make mistakes, you lose.

Ordinarily, you wait for the other race leaders when they crash.

T-Mobile and US Postal joined together and put some time
into Iban Mayo. I wonder if Lance and Jan are giving Mayo
a little payback for last year when Mayo, Basso, and Zubeldia
sat on his wheel up Luz Ardiden and Mayo went ahead and
took some of the time bonus. That was truly a crummy think
for the Spanish riders to do.

Mike
post #15 of 88

Bird wrote:

> My point is Ullrichs team was _not_ doing the job. Armstrong and
> Hamilton decide it would be nice to get an extra benefit from Mayo's
> fall.

Did you watch it? All I have is stuff like this to
go on:

16:47 CEST 197km/13km to go
Still Phonak, T-Mobile and (to a lesser extent) US
Postal leading the front group.

> What is your point? Ullrich should wait? (literally, stop and wait
> alongside the road and let Armstrong go) ????

No point, I'm just upset at the wankers who think
everyone should stop on the pave for a potty break
because one of the "favorites" crashed.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Road Cycling