why do restaurant steaks have "that taste"?

dakota2112

Guest
I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
answer.

Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.

I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside, and I prefer my grilled
steaks over the aforementioned restaurant steaks hands down in just
about every category (doneness, juiciness, consistency, overall taste,
etc). I can go into more detail about how I cook my steaks if
necessary, but to save space, I'll hold off for now.

HOWEVER...

The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
steak to have "that taste"? I hope you know what I'm talking about.
There is some particular kind of flavor that is present in almost any
restaurant steak, regardless of where you get it or how you ordered it.
It even has its own aroma. I will admit, I like that aspect of
restaurant steaks. But unfortunately, it almost always comes down to a
great aroma and that great initial taste, followed by the meat turning
into a chewy, tasteless wad of rubber once you begin to chew.

I'd like to add "that taste" to my grilled steak at home, since "that
taste" is the one and only thing that's missing. I've tried, but I
cannot reproduce it. I've used a hot cast iron skillet, I've tried
numerous seasonings, liquid smoke, etc, and none of it produces that
restaurant flavor. Some people say you have to use meat from a
butcher, but I say noway, because those restaurant steaks having "that
taste" usually have very poor texture and consistency. If butcher meat
yields "that taste" + poor texture and consistency, then I'd rather
continue with what I use (typically custom cut at Krogers, 1.5-2.0"
thick). Other people say you have to cook it using methods ABC, or
XYZ, or ABX, or AYZ, or XBC, or some other very subjective combination.

Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
Thanks in advance!

"dakota2112" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> answer.
>
> Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
> very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
> hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
> about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
> the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
>
> I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
> charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside, and I prefer my grilled
> steaks over the aforementioned restaurant steaks hands down in just
> about every category (doneness, juiciness, consistency, overall taste,
> etc). I can go into more detail about how I cook my steaks if
> necessary, but to save space, I'll hold off for now.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
> steak to have "that taste"? I hope you know what I'm talking about.
> There is some particular kind of flavor that is present in almost any
> restaurant steak, regardless of where you get it or how you ordered it.
> It even has its own aroma. I will admit, I like that aspect of
> restaurant steaks. But unfortunately, it almost always comes down to a
> great aroma and that great initial taste, followed by the meat turning
> into a chewy, tasteless wad of rubber once you begin to chew.
>
> I'd like to add "that taste" to my grilled steak at home, since "that
> taste" is the one and only thing that's missing. I've tried, but I
> cannot reproduce it. I've used a hot cast iron skillet, I've tried
> numerous seasonings, liquid smoke, etc, and none of it produces that
> restaurant flavor. Some people say you have to use meat from a
> butcher, but I say noway, because those restaurant steaks having "that
> taste" usually have very poor texture and consistency. If butcher meat
> yields "that taste" + poor texture and consistency, then I'd rather
> continue with what I use (typically custom cut at Krogers, 1.5-2.0"
> thick). Other people say you have to cook it using methods ABC, or
> XYZ, or ABX, or AYZ, or XBC, or some other very subjective combination.
>
> Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> Thanks in advance!

Read here:

http://www.sysco.com/products/promo/break-for-steak.asp

Dimitri

On 29 Dec 2004 13:49:44 -0800, "dakota2112"
<[email protected]> scribbled some thoughts:

>The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
>steak to have "that taste"? I hope you know what I'm talking about.
>There is some particular kind of flavor that is present in almost any
>restaurant steak, regardless of where you get it or how you ordered it.
>It even has its own aroma. I will admit, I like that aspect of
>restaurant steaks. But unfortunately, it almost always comes down to a
>great aroma and that great initial taste, followed by the meat turning
>into a chewy, tasteless wad of rubber once you begin to chew.

Called a barbecue sauce? Chances are they are not going to
give away their trade secret. If you want to know, then
you'll have to work there and find out.

Could be growth hormone?

As some stealth camersas have found, could be bodily fluids.
Which is why you should say a blessing over your meals,
especially away from home.

Longpig?

You'll probably have to experiment or get some Omaha steaks.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "dakota2112" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> > answer.
> > Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> > spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> > Thanks in advance!

> Read here:
>
> http://www.sysco.com/products/promo/break-for-steak.asp
>
> Dimitri

Oh yeah, that really explains it. The good restaurant steaks in the
country come from Sysco. Profound. Does it matter how they are
prepped, how seasoned before cooking, how cooked, how seasoned
after cooking? No, just it has to come from Sysco. Geez, what a
culinary genius.

pavane

It's most likely that it was coated with clarified butter before it was
put on the grill. I worked at a very upscale restaurant and we only
served filet mignon and new york strip. I watched the chef coat every
steak with clarified butter before putting it on the grill. Also, you
can not buy as a consumer the grade of meat available to restaurants.
It's a matter of supply and demand. There are so many restaurants
vying for top quality meat and willing to pay top dollar for it that a
meat market or grocer can't afford or can't justify passing that cost
on to their customers.

[email protected] wrote:

> Also, you
> can not buy as a consumer the grade of meat available to restaurants.
> It's a matter of supply and demand.

But he's talking about places like Outback... If I had to take a guess
I'd say most of those places use a heavily salted seasoning consisting
of a large dose of MSG.

~john

pavane wrote:

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"dakota2112" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
>>>answer.
>>>Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
>>>spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
>>>Thanks in advance!

>>Read here:
>>
>>http://www.sysco.com/products/promo/break-for-steak.asp
>>
>>Dimitri
>>

> Oh yeah, that really explains it. The good restaurant steaks in the
> country come from Sysco. Profound. Does it matter how they are
> prepped, how seasoned before cooking, how cooked, how seasoned
> after cooking? No, just it has to come from Sysco. Geez, what a
> culinary genius.
>
> pavane

You're trying to be sarcastic, but most restaurant steaks probably *do*
come from Sysco.

The taste is probably the aging of the meat, or MSG.

Bob

"Levelwave©" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Also, you
>> can not buy as a consumer the grade of meat available to restaurants.
>> It's a matter of supply and demand.

> But he's talking about places like Outback... If I had to take a guess I'd
> say most of those places use a heavily salted seasoning consisting of a
> large dose of MSG.
>
> ~john

"That taste" is why I never order a steak in a place like that. IMO< they
reek of chemicals. OTOH, at a top notch steak house, you generally get a
superior product cooked the way you like.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

dakota2112 wrote:
> I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> answer.
>
> Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
> very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
> hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
> about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
> the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
>
> I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
> charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside, and I prefer my grilled
> steaks over the aforementioned restaurant steaks hands down in just
> about every category (doneness, juiciness, consistency, overall taste,
> etc). I can go into more detail about how I cook my steaks if
> necessary, but to save space, I'll hold off for now.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
> steak to have "that taste"? I hope you know what I'm talking about.
> There is some particular kind of flavor that is present in almost any
> restaurant steak, regardless of where you get it or how you ordered it.
> It even has its own aroma. I will admit, I like that aspect of
> restaurant steaks. But unfortunately, it almost always comes down to a
> great aroma and that great initial taste, followed by the meat turning
> into a chewy, tasteless wad of rubber once you begin to chew.
>
> I'd like to add "that taste" to my grilled steak at home, since "that
> taste" is the one and only thing that's missing. I've tried, but I
> cannot reproduce it. I've used a hot cast iron skillet, I've tried
> numerous seasonings, liquid smoke, etc, and none of it produces that
> restaurant flavor. Some people say you have to use meat from a
> butcher, but I say noway, because those restaurant steaks having "that
> taste" usually have very poor texture and consistency. If butcher meat
> yields "that taste" + poor texture and consistency, then I'd rather
> continue with what I use (typically custom cut at Krogers, 1.5-2.0"
> thick). Other people say you have to cook it using methods ABC, or
> XYZ, or ABX, or AYZ, or XBC, or some other very subjective combination.
>
> Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> Thanks in advance!

There is a famous steakhouse in Brooklyn, the name eludes me at the
moment. The owners (3rd or so generation) select each carcass at the
wholesaler. They claim that grandpa taught them how to choose the best
beef, and that's their advantage.

They also age the beef.

Finally, it's hard to find real prime meat in retail stores.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

I work at a "name" Steakhouse. The biggest concerns are the quality of
beef that you use. Prime is the quality. Also there are wet aged and dry
aged steaks available. Both have their own flavor profile. We use dry
aged steaks. We most certainly DON'T get our steaks from Sysco. We have
our own company that we deal with. There is also a spice blend that goes
on our steak. Salt is a very little part of that seasoning. Every
steakhouse has their own version of the seasoning. Also the grill may
have something to do with it. We use 1800 degree grills that sear the
outside of the steak. It creates a "crust" that holds in all the
moisture of the steak. I'll tell you, even out well done steaks are
pretty moist!
The first thing you might want to try is getting prime steak. Generally
you can't get it in a butcher shop, but I have seen online places that
sell prime beef. It's not cheap, but it is worth every mouthful!
Good luck, and I expect an invite to your first BBQ/Grilling day next
summer!

Peter

dakota2112 wrote:
> I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> answer.
>
> Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
> very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
> hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
> about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
> the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
>
> I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
> charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside, and I prefer my grilled
> steaks over the aforementioned restaurant steaks hands down in just
> about every category (doneness, juiciness, consistency, overall taste,
> etc). I can go into more detail about how I cook my steaks if
> necessary, but to save space, I'll hold off for now.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
> steak to have "that taste"? I hope you know what I'm talking about.
> There is some particular kind of flavor that is present in almost any
> restaurant steak, regardless of where you get it or how you ordered it.
> It even has its own aroma. I will admit, I like that aspect of
> restaurant steaks. But unfortunately, it almost always comes down to a
> great aroma and that great initial taste, followed by the meat turning
> into a chewy, tasteless wad of rubber once you begin to chew.
>
> I'd like to add "that taste" to my grilled steak at home, since "that
> taste" is the one and only thing that's missing. I've tried, but I
> cannot reproduce it. I've used a hot cast iron skillet, I've tried
> numerous seasonings, liquid smoke, etc, and none of it produces that
> restaurant flavor. Some people say you have to use meat from a
> butcher, but I say noway, because those restaurant steaks having "that
> taste" usually have very poor texture and consistency. If butcher meat
> yields "that taste" + poor texture and consistency, then I'd rather
> continue with what I use (typically custom cut at Krogers, 1.5-2.0"
> thick). Other people say you have to cook it using methods ABC, or
> XYZ, or ABX, or AYZ, or XBC, or some other very subjective combination.
>
> Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> Thanks in advance!

at Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:49:44 GMT in <1104356984.172960.107990
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] (dakota2112) wrote :

>I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
>answer.
>
>Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
>very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
>hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
>about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
>the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
>
>I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
>charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside...
>
>HOWEVER...
>
>The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
>steak to have "that taste"? ...
>
>Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
>spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
>Thanks in advance!

I think part of the problem here is that you're describing a subjective
experience. If something has a quality that is elusive enough that you
can't really describe it in any way other than saying "that taste", then
essentially by definition nobody can give a definitive answer because you
haven't posed a definitive question. You can only "know" things about
something for which you can get a factual description.

However, if there is one constant I've observed in restaurants, regardless
of quality level, it's salting. Specifically, virtually all restaurants
salt steaks heavily. To me the level of salt is extreme - far larger than
anything I'd do at home. But then again, I find that restaurants salt
*everything* to excess IMHO. And I suspect that may be what you're
referring to.

Try salting your steaks very heavily before cooking and see if that
reproduces the flavour you're thinking of. Don't dismiss the idea ahead of
time with a "no, it's not a salty flavour I'm tasting". Salt is one of
those seasonings that can alter the flavour of food in ways you wouldn't
necessarily imagine were attributable to it.

--
Alex Rast
[email protected]

[email protected] (Alex Rast) wrote:

> at Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:49:44 GMT in <1104356984.172960.107990
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] (dakota2112) wrote :
>
> >I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> >answer.
> >
> >Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
> >very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
> >hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not talking
> >about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm talking about
> >the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
> >
> >I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being a
> >charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside...
> >
> >HOWEVER...
> >
> >The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a restaurant
> >steak to have "that taste"? ...
> >
> >Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> >spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> >Thanks in advance!

> I think part of the problem here is that you're describing a subjective
> experience. If something has a quality that is elusive enough that you
> can't really describe it in any way other than saying "that taste", then
> essentially by definition nobody can give a definitive answer because you
> haven't posed a definitive question. You can only "know" things about
> something for which you can get a factual description.
>
> However, if there is one constant I've observed in restaurants, regardless
> of quality level, it's salting. Specifically, virtually all restaurants
> salt steaks heavily. To me the level of salt is extreme - far larger than
> anything I'd do at home. But then again, I find that restaurants salt
> *everything* to excess IMHO. And I suspect that may be what you're
> referring to.

Actually, I knew exactly what he was talking about... ;-)
I've learned that, when I go out to eat, I need to put in a special
request to the chefs for a "low salt" meal. Works for me, and the steaks
still have "that taste".

Part of it is the grilling, part of it is the marinade.
When I first posted, I had not thought about the MSG, but I guess that
might be a bit part of it. That and the meat quality.

> Try salting your steaks very heavily before cooking and see if that
> reproduces the flavour you're thinking of. Don't dismiss the idea ahead of
> time with a "no, it's not a salty flavour I'm tasting". Salt is one of
> those seasonings that can alter the flavour of food in ways you wouldn't
> necessarily imagine were attributable to it.

Like Brining???

Is it possible to brine meats other than poultry and get a good result?

I've never tried it, so I don't know a lot about it.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:47:34 -0600, Katra <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Like Brining???
>Is it possible to brine meats other than poultry and get a good result?
>I've never tried it, so I don't know a lot about it.

I brine pork all the time. I have a lovely brine using bitter orange juice
and chipotle powder that imparts a wonderful flavour to those center cut
pork chops one can find on sale. I hate dry pork more than pretty much
anything.

I believe you could call corned beef "brined" on a technical level, but
most of the people I've spoken to about brining agree you can't really
brine beef.

You can brine fish (you have to be really careful with fish and not
over-brine it), pork, and poultry that I know about. I imagine you could do
more exotic meats, as well. Hmmmm brined ostrich... I should try that.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

"pavane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "dakota2112" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
>> > answer.
>> > Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
>> > spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
>> > Thanks in advance!

>> Read here:
>>
>> http://www.sysco.com/products/promo/break-for-steak.asp
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

> Oh yeah, that really explains it. The good restaurant steaks in the
> country come from Sysco. Profound. Does it matter how they are
> prepped, how seasoned before cooking, how cooked, how seasoned
> after cooking? No, just it has to come from Sysco. Geez, what a
> culinary genius.
>
> pavane

You really are an idiot.

Read from their 10Q

Sysco Corporation, acting through its subsidiaries and divisions
(collectively referred to as "SYSCO" or the "company"), is the largest North
American distributor of food and related products primarily to the
foodservice
or "food-prepared-away-from-home" industry. Founded in 1969, SYSCO provides
its
products and services to approximately 400,000 customers, including
restaurants,
healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other
foodservice customers.

With 400,000 customers chances are well maybe you can figure out the rest.
Oh you and BTW their sales will top 29 BILLION

"As of July 3, 2004, SYSCO and its operating companies had approximately
47,800 full-time employees, approximately 19% of whom were represented by
unions, primarily the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Contract
negotiations are handled locally. Collective bargaining agreements covering
approximately 21% of the company"s union employees expire during fiscal
2005.
SYSCO considers its labor relations to be satisfactory."

Dimitri

Here's my take on your quest for 'that taste".
Restaurants use quality cooking gear, that you're not likely to have at
home, but you can come close. Use the highest heat you can muster with
the equipment you have. Use prime beef.
Brush the meat before cooking with some oilve oil or clarified butter,
then lightly season the steak with S&P, or try it with Char Crust, or
Gibsons Roasting Salt*, (*see Steak Lovers Cookbook)
Cook hot and fast 2-3 min per side, moving the meat on each side to
create cross hatch marks. When the blood just comes to the top surface
of the 2nd side, move it to a cooler section of the grill to cook
through. For rare, move to the cooler section 'before' any blood
appears. Just before serving, drizzle a teaspoon of light olive oil or
melted clarified butter over each steak.

Is short, you don't have the lab in New Jersey available to you to
create your perfect flavor. For you: Trial and error, it'll get
better, and move on. Keep improving. Develop your own "taste". Thats
what makes it fun.

Pierre

Thanks everyone for all the responses!

I know my question sounded very subjective, and I realize there's no
real way to "describe" a flavor that I don't know how to reproduce. I
guess if I could describe it (for example say it tastes like this plus
that), then I could probably reproduce the flavor, so I wouldn't need
to ask the question then ;-)

But in all seriousness, I've discussed this with several people, and
most of them know immediately what I'm talking about when I say
"restaurant steak taste".

I'm thinking it might have something to do with either heavy salting,
or perhaps even the use of MSG. I know some meat tenderizers have MSG
in them, maybe that's it.

I'm leary of MSG just because it's apparently very bad health-wise, and
a steak is already bad enough (cholesterol, fat, calories...) so I
probably won't use MSG on a regular basis, but I might just give it a
try next time to see if that does the trick.

And in case anyone's curious, here's how I cook my steak. I get
1.5"-2.0" ribeye/strip/porterhouse. Marinate for 30 minutes in "Grill
Creations Black Peppercorn" mixed with olive oil. Get the grill as hot
as it will go, and sear each side until a char crust forms. I let the
grease fire go crazy, this helps achieve the char. Once the char crust
is there, cook over low heat, keeping the steak bathed in clean
peppercorn/oil mixture. My steaks are done when the darkest red
interior has just turned pink. If conditions are right, the entire
inside of the steak will be deep pink, with a thick char crust on the
outside. Having a very thick steak helps that happen.

Serve with horseradish, mashed potatoes, sweet Hawaiian rolls, and red
wine.

I contend that the red wine at least helps offset a slight amount of
damage I'm doing to myself by eating a steak in the first place. ;-)

And olive oil is good for the body, except I've read that when it
reaches its smoking point and beyond, that it turns into a carcinogen.
So much for the olive oil. And I think I also read somewhere that
charred meat is also a carcinogen itself. But it sure does make for a
good steak ;-)

Thanks again all.

"Louis Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> There is a famous steakhouse in Brooklyn, the name eludes me at the
> moment. The owners (3rd or so generation) select each carcass at the
> wholesaler. They claim that grandpa taught them how to choose the best
> beef, and that's their advantage.
>
> They also age the beef.
>
> Finally, it's hard to find real prime meat in retail stores.

> Regards
>
> Louis Cohen

Peter Luger

http://www.peterluger.com/

Dimitri

dakota2112 wrote:
> I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a conclusive
> answer.
>
> Let me explain. Firstly, I'm very picky about my steaks. In fact, I
> very rarely order a steak at a restaurant, because frankly they never
> hold a candle to the steaks I grill at home. Of course I'm not
> talking about what some people consider "real" steakhouses, I'm
> talking about the standard places like Outback, Lone Star, et al.
>
> I grill my steaks in a very particular way, with the end result being
> a charred outside and VERY pink & juicy inside, and I prefer my
> grilled steaks over the aforementioned restaurant steaks hands down
> in just about every category (doneness, juiciness, consistency,
> overall taste, etc). I can go into more detail about how I cook my
> steaks if necessary, but to save space, I'll hold off for now.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> The one thing I have yet to figure out is, how do they get a
> restaurant steak to have "that taste"?

I've read this thread with interest. I never noticed "that taste" but then,
I normally only eat steak either when I cook it at home or, if I'm out it's
when I'm travelling so it's never the same.

I'm curious as to why, if the steaks you grill at home "don't hold a candle"
to the ones you order when out, why are you asking how to duplicate the
taste?

Jill

I think aged beef has that "taste". It's got this musky like flavor
that seems to come out, I've noticed that smell usually from raw beef
from my days as a line cook.

Visit: http://www.onlinecooking.net We're still building but we're
getting there. I'd love to post some of these topics on my web site,
I'm also taking submissions.

dakota2112 wrote:
> I've searched through this forum but I'm not able to find a
> conclusive answer.

Snipped

> Your comments please? Does anyone *know* for sure what specific
> spice, procedure, etc. is needed to produce "that taste"?
> Thanks in advance!

Part of it may be similar to the "wok hay" effect. I bet you very
carefully and completely clean your cooking/grilling surfaces.
Restuarants and steak houses do not. I'm not saying that they aren't
clean and safe, I'm suggesting that you are cleaning off the seasonings on
your cooking surface, possibly even leaving cleaning chemicals on them.