Swiss Steak Report -- Pfftt!

Melba's Jammin'

Guest
I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
:)
I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
(dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.

Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

I've never HAD a good Swiss Steak. My suggestion would have
been to sliver the meat and make fajitas or pepper-steak stir-fry,
but I didn't want to rain on your parade....

gloria p

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

I forget where you're located, but if you're ever up NY way give a shout
and I'll make you my version.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

> I've never HAD a good Swiss Steak. My suggestion would have
> been to sliver the meat and make fajitas or pepper-steak stir-fry,
> but I didn't want to rain on your parade....
>
> gloria p

Well, what the hell kind of friend are YOU !!??! LOL! You could have
saved me. I'm glad to know that there's hope and possibility for the
other two pieces of that sucker.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

On Mon 03 Jan 2005 06:45:19p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
>:)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

Barb, I have NEVER had Swiss steak where the meat was actually succulent.
It's just not that type of meat. Tender, yes, but usually on the dry side.
IMHO, to make Swiss steak enjoyable the sauce, or gravy, in the dish must
make up for the succulence lacking in the meat. It needs to be slightly
thickened and very smooth, and needs to coat the meat thoroughly when
served, regardless of what else is added to the dish.

Having said all that, I really do like Swiss steak, but it must have the
right combination of ingredients, texture, and moistness through the sauce.

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon 03 Jan 2005 06:45:19p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
> giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>
> > I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> >:)
> > I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> > cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> > butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> > (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> > at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> > disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> > disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> > whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> > before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> > cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
> >
> > Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

> Barb, I have NEVER had Swiss steak where the meat was actually succulent.
>
> It's just not that type of meat. Tender, yes, but usually on the dry
> side.
> IMHO, to make Swiss steak enjoyable the sauce, or gravy, in the dish must
> make up for the succulence lacking in the meat. It needs to be slightly
> thickened and very smooth, and needs to coat the meat thoroughly when
> served, regardless of what else is added to the dish.
>
> Having said all that, I really do like Swiss steak, but it must have the
> right combination of ingredients, texture, and moistness through the
> sauce.
>
> Wayne

Where's my can of cream of mushroom soup?
--

Melba's Jammin' at [email protected] wrote on 1/3/05 8:45 PM:

> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

Well, I doubt you'll be lining up to make this again, but tomato sauce with
the diced tomatoes would have made a more succulent, "wetter" sauce.

I think the key to this is to have a lot of sauce so the meat picks up
flavor and moistness from the gravy.

It's a shame it didn't turn out better. The sides didn't work out so great,
either, did they? :)

For the rest of the meat, I would slice it into strips, marinate it over
night in lime juice and chili powder, plus extra garlic and cumin, then stir
fry, grill or broil and serve with tortillas, peppers and onions. In other
words, Fajitas. Or serve with "spanish rice" (I use Lipton's pouch for
this) instead of tortillas, and eat with a knife and fork.

On 4 Jan 2005 02:53:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon 03 Jan 2005 06:45:19p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
>giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>
>> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
>>:)
>> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
>> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
>> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
>> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
>> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
>> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
>> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
>> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
>> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
>> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>>
>> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

>Barb, I have NEVER had Swiss steak where the meat was actually succulent.
>It's just not that type of meat. Tender, yes, but usually on the dry side.
>IMHO, to make Swiss steak enjoyable the sauce, or gravy, in the dish must
>make up for the succulence lacking in the meat. It needs to be slightly
>thickened and very smooth, and needs to coat the meat thoroughly when
>served, regardless of what else is added to the dish.

My memories of Swiss steak are not pleasant (All more than 50 years
ago). However, I don't understand why it couldn't be quite edible if
it were braised like lamb shanks. I can make those really
fall-off-the-bone tender and juicy at the same time.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 03 Jan 2005 06:45:19p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled,
> and giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>
>> I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
>> :)
>> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor
>> woman's cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in
>> oil and butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red
>> peppers (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes
>> and baked it at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the
>> meat was disgustingly dry. Bleah.
>> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

> Barb, I have NEVER had Swiss steak where the meat was actually
> succulent. It's just not that type of meat. Tender, yes, but usually
> on the dry side.
>
> Wayne

Perhaps my mom and I use bottom round; frankly I just buy what is cheapest
and don't pay attention to the 'top' or 'bottom' thing when I buy round
steak. It's always been moist and tasty. Then again, the red wine vinegar
in the marinade prior to cooking may have had some effect :)

Jill

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:45:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah.

<snip>

> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

First, get yourself a decent piece of meat... one meant for
pot roast. You said you had top round, Sheryl said bottom
round was better and I think cheap chuck is good bet too.

Pounding it with a knife isn't going to take the place of
using a real "meat tenderizing" tool... so visit your local
charity shop, garage sale or hardware store to find the
proper mallet.

Report back when you have everything in place (fergit about
that "tomatoey" recipe thing unless it's part of your
heritage) or come to one of our houses for some REAL pot
roast.

:)

sf

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:29:43 -0500, Sheryl Rosen
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Or serve with "spanish rice" (I use Lipton's pouch for
> this)

For the "real" tasting thing, use Caldo de Tomate con Sabor
de Pollo (tomato bullion with chicken flavor)... my bottle
(no cubes) is by Knorr.

sf

Umm, ...how thick was the "swiss"steak? Maybe one hour would have done it?
(PS.... Butter Buds??!?)

Richard.

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
> birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
> "Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
> Mimi Sheraton

In article <%[email protected]>, "Richard
Green" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Umm, ...how thick was the "swiss"steak? Maybe one hour would have done it?
> (PS.... Butter Buds??!?)

Butter Buds Sprinkle are a butter-flavor product made from, let' see,
maltodextrin, salt, natural butter flavor, rice starch, butter, soybean
lecithin, annato and turmeric. I like it on vegetables.

As far as one hour of cooking -- all the great r.f.c. consultants were
recommending a couple hours -- low and slow. Ppffftt!

-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:45:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > :)
> > I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor
> > woman's

(snip)
> Report back when you have everything in place (fergit about
> that "tomatoey" recipe thing unless it's part of your
> heritage) or come to one of our houses for some REAL pot
> roast.
> :)
> sf

I can make pot roast. I was making Swiss Steak.
--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <%[email protected]>,
> "Richard Green" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Umm, ...how thick was the "swiss"steak? Maybe one hour would have
>> done it? (PS.... Butter Buds??!?)

> Butter Buds Sprinkle are a butter-flavor product made from, let' see,
> maltodextrin, salt, natural butter flavor, rice starch, butter,
> soybean lecithin, annato and turmeric. I like it on vegetables.

I have dry Butter Buds and also the packets you reconstitute to make
'liquid' butter with a little hot water. I started buying it when Mom came
up with cholesterol problems back in the 1980's. She now uses Benecol
spread rather than butter or margarine and apparently this works well for
her.

And although I adore Penzey's herbs and spices, Mrs. Dash salt free herb
blends are quite nice on veggies, too.

I still think you should have marinated the round steak prior to baking it.
I've never had it come out dry.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
>:)
>I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
>cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
>butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
>(dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
>at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
>disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
>disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
>whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
>before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
>cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
>Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!

Maybe you could try grillades:
http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec00/bl00219f.htm

This only one of many variations of the dish. I know it calls for
peppers and other weird stuff, but still...

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

jmcquown wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>>In article <%[email protected]>,
>>"Richard Green" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Umm, ...how thick was the "swiss"steak? Maybe one hour would have
>>>done it? (PS.... Butter Buds??!?)

>>Butter Buds Sprinkle are a butter-flavor product made from, let' see,
>>maltodextrin, salt, natural butter flavor, rice starch, butter,
>>soybean lecithin, annato and turmeric. I like it on vegetables.
>>

> I have dry Butter Buds and also the packets you reconstitute to make
> 'liquid' butter with a little hot water. I started buying it when Mom came
> up with cholesterol problems back in the 1980's. She now uses Benecol
> spread rather than butter or margarine and apparently this works well for
> her.
>
> And although I adore Penzey's herbs and spices, Mrs. Dash salt free herb
> blends are quite nice on veggies, too.
>
> I still think you should have marinated the round steak prior to baking it.
> I've never had it come out dry.
>
> Jill

Round steak always comes out dry -- that's why you serve it with some
kind of gravy. Perhaps if you tenderized it and marinaded it in spiced
*oil* rather than lemon juice or vinegar it might cook up juicy, but I
doubt it.

Bob

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
> :)
> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>
> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Is the cut you purchased called "Swiss Steak" or was it just simply a round
steak? If so IMHO (Round Steak) the flavor/texture is inherently dry. There
is little or no fat to keep it "moist". Its only good buried in Campbell's
soup.

Dimitri

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:40:41 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>I sliced the meat in two, horizontally, although I did it vertically.
>> :)
>> I pounded the hell, snot, and sh** out of it with a knife (poor woman's
>> cube steak?), working seasoned flour into it. Browned it in oil and
>> butter, covered it with onions, mushrooms, some green & red peppers
>> (dehydrated), and a can of Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes and baked it
>> at 300 for about 2 hours. It was tender enough and the meat was
>> disgustingly dry. Bleah. The mushrooms were great. Served with some
>> disgusting scalloped corn and canned green beans that had no flavor
>> whatsoever, even though they'd been doused liberally with Butter Buds
>> before nuking. The baked potato would have been fine with some sour
>> cream and butter, but I didn't have any sour cream.
>>
>> Gee, I can't WAIT to do this again. Not!
>> --
>> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

>Is the cut you purchased called "Swiss Steak" or was it just simply a round
>steak? If so IMHO (Round Steak) the flavor/texture is inherently dry. There
>is little or no fat to keep it "moist". Its only good buried in Campbell's
>soup.

I protest. You should be able to make something better than a can of
soup that wasn't even intended to sauce a steak. And make it in less
time than the meat takes to cook.

I am not saying never use a canopener. I use canned Italian tomatoes,
but they don't have seasonings.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.

In article <[email protected]>, "Dimitri"
<[email protected]> wrote:
(snip)
> Is the cut you purchased called "Swiss Steak" or was it just simply a
> round steak? If so IMHO (Round Steak) the flavor/texture is
> inherently dry. There is little or no fat to keep it "moist". Its
> only good buried in Campbell's soup.

> Dimitri

This was boneless top round. No fat. See the pic on my website.