or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Christian Unicyclists - Page 7

post #91 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

muniracer wrote:
> *in a group of one hundred people with high intelligence levels, there
> will be more atheists, agnostics, whatevers than in a group of one
> hundred people of lower intelligence levels. again, i am not at all
> implying that christians are less intelligent than atheists (et al)
> but that atheism is found predominantly in intellectuals. *

All this proves is that some people are too damn smart for their own
good.....

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Re: Christian Unicyclists

you are right. I did take a few things out if context. And you are right
to some extent that I do doubt that there is a God. HE has never done
anything like protected my family, as 5 of my relatives were taken very
young. I do still have my faith, though not as strong as it once was. I
can agree with a few of your points that you have made, but others I do
not agree with. freedom of speech. I will not bash you for speaking your
mind. sorry again that I took those few things out of ccontext. best of
luck to all of you in finding whatever religion you choose to follow. I
choose to not take any sides. Peace to all.

-Dewey

--
doofe - Skilled unicyclist

FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! YES, I CAN RIDE THAT THING!!!!!
doofe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4335
post #93 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

I tried reading all theses but I had to stop. I got to the point where
people were talking about if they knew God exists and I had to post on
something I saw today. It was raining out while being kinda sunny, gotta
look for rainbows when that happens. Not only was there one, but 2,
count em 2 rainbows, very awesome, took pictures. My mom, and uncle came
out too and grandma got a camera, it was pretty exciting. It's things
like that that prove to me there is a God, and he loves us enough to
give us eyes to see beautifull colors, and makes rainbows for us to look
at. Yes I know some people can't see, but God blesses in other ways. And
of course when all thats gone theres still his love shown in the way he
gave us his only Son Jesus for us so that we could be close to him,
something we couldn't do otherwise.

I know theres a lot of religions out there, and people in general
believe in God, Gods, no God, all sorts of things. But in the bible it
talks about Abraham, he didn't have a bible, or lots of information on
every God there is out there. But still God made himself known to him in
a personal way, he can do that with all of us if we trust him to, and
it'll be just as personal. For me it's this youth center that I get to
be a part of, it's also unicycling, and today it was sharing a rainbow
with my mom, uncle, and grandma. My familys not perfect, me included,
but that was pretty awesome, and i'm gratefull that God cares about me
enough to touch my heart like that, so i'm gonna trust that he has good
plans for my life, and yours too.

Andrew

--
KJ-52 - unicycler

Originally posted by Logan_A.
Note this e-mail is baKsed oJn -a sto5ry a2nd mIay bSe fictKional oEr
conWtain fictiLonal elements. This should also not have been read by any
younger riders.

Can you find the hidden message?

KJ-52's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5614
post #94 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

I'm another Christian, it's cool to see how many of us there are here!

I havn't read all of the posts in this thread yet so I won't go on a
rant here saying what you all have probably already.

Spread The Word!

--
falgoriend - Christian Member

Unicycles!
_|_

| <><
www.acquirethefire.com
Read the Drudge Report!
falgoriend's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6754
post #95 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

yea i'm pretty sure i'm christian

maybe catholic aren't they the same thing?

--
JVTFm - decent unicyclist

"all your base are belong to us"
"life is short and god is man"
"purple monkey dishwasher"
JVTFm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6432
post #96 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

Against my better judgement I am once again feeding the troll. Yes, I
am aware that this thread was started to allow Christian Unicyclists to
find each other. It's a bit cliquish and odd, but no more odd than a
thread to allow left-handed unicyclists to band together, or unicyclists
who like to listen to ABBA while petting cats, but basically harmless
pursuit of happiness.

Evangelical hijacking, on the other hand, isn't. This is a unicycle
forum, not a revisionist historical forum. So I feel a little balance
is in order. There is no hope that my post will change MachineHead61's
mind on anything, however there are quite a few young and impressionable
unicyclists on this forum that deserve at least a measured response from
the mainstream of historical thought.

With that disclamer, I appologize in advance for prolonging the
hijacking of this thread.

machinehead61 wrote:
> *...And I could go on and on. Every last one of the authors of our
> constitution echoed these sentiments. *

Yet every one of them endorsed a document that PROHIBITED the government
from endorsing religion. Why? Because it's bad for both religion and
government. Selected exerps from the historical record prove nothing.
Cut and paste all you want, the FACT is that the founding fathers set up
a system of government that would not intrude on their religious lives,
and vice versa.

machinehead61 wrote:
> *...Today the U.S. has the highest prison population in the industrial
> world. The U.S. also leads the world in other not-so-desirable
> categories. I can supply that list if you wish.
> *

The United States is arguably the most Christian society on the planet
at the moment. Other nations poll higher (for example, Italy is 99%
Catholic), however very few nations surpass the United States in
evangelical Christiantity. Yet the incarceration rate in the USA is the
highest in the world at 701 people per 10,000. England and Canada, two
culturally similar nations, have incarceration rates of 141 and 116
people per 10,000 respectively.

What about countries at the low end of the spectrum? Japan has an
incarceration rate of 53 per 10,000. It is safe to say that the
Christian God is not an object of worship in Japan as the population is
85% Shinto/Buddhist population with only a 0.7% Christian subculture.
If worshiping a single God is the key to a low crime society then Japan
fails miserably Shinto is a polytheistic religion (every tree and rock
has a spirit), and Buddhism is godless.

In the latest world survey the two countries with the lowest
incarceration rates, 29 per 10,000, are India and Nepal. Nepal is 86%
hindu/7% Buddhist and India is 81% Hindu/ 21% Muslim. Neither country
has a Christian population greater than one or two percent. Steve, if I
follow your line of reasoning, which I don't, the best thing the United
States could do to reduce it's incarceration rate would be to give up on
the concept of a single God and adopt Hinduism.

The world is a big place with many different approaches to leading a
decent, moral life. Christianity, in it's purest forms, is one of them.
So are the two other major mono-theistic religions, Judaism and Islam.
But there are also many decent, moral people who believe in multiple
gods, or no gods. Some of these people are citizens of the United
States of America, which SHOULD be open enough to embrace all of them.

If the Christian Majority succeeds in re-defining the United States as a
"Single True God" theocracy then we have lost our greatness as a nation.
The founding fathers of the United States WERE religious men, which is
why they chose to keep religion out of politics. They understood that
the key to preserving religious freedom is to keep it private.

Saddly, that era is over. Not all of our current crop of judges,
politicians and pundits are as moral or intelligent as the founding
fathers. A radical minority is currently trying to make religion a
public matter. If they succeed, then it's logical to expect that
religious freedom as we know it will disappear in the United States.

(Who knows, if they succeed than someday the official religion of the
United States might switch the official religion to Hindu to reduce
prison overcrowding. Stranger things have happened before, and stranger
things will happen again.)

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550
post #97 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

In article <cyberbellum.177bop@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
cyberbellum <cyberbellum@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Against my better judgement I am once again feeding the troll. Yes, I
)am aware that this thread was started to allow Christian Unicyclists to
)find each other. It's a bit cliquish and odd, but no more odd than a
)thread to allow left-handed unicyclists to band together, or unicyclists
)who like to listen to ABBA while petting cats, but basically harmless
)pursuit of happiness.

I strenuously object to the characterization of listening to ABBA as
"harmless."
-Tom
post #98 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

tennisgh22 wrote:
> *i'd be interested in that list. *

This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but the
'Australian institute of Criminology'
(http://www.aic.gov.au/stats/international/wpl.html) web site has the
most recent world-wide incarceration studies.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550
post #99 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

KJ-52 wrote:
> *I tried reading all theses but I had to stop. I got to the point
> where people were talking about if they knew God exists and I had to
> post on something I saw today. It was raining out while being kinda
> sunny, gotta look for rainbows when that happens. Not only was there
> one, but 2, count em 2 rainbows, very awesome, took pictures. My mom,
> and uncle came out too and grandma got a camera, it was pretty
> exciting. It's things like that that prove to me there is a God
> Andrew *

i dont wanna burst your bubble, but when i see a rainbow, this is what i
think:

Rainbows are formed when raindrops, acting like a prism, reflect
sunlight toward the observer, dispersing the light into colors. As light
enters a water drop, different colors bend at slightly different angles.
Some of the light reflects off the back of the drop and is bent again as
it emerges. Drops at different angles from you send different colors to
your eye. If the light is hitting the rain drop at the proper angle, a
secondary, larger rainbow will form outside of the main rainbow. This
secondary rainbow is fainter then the main one because the light is
reflected twice by each raindrop. This also reverses the colors of the
secondary rainbow.

Now perhaps you dont believe anything I just said, which is fine...I
just dont understand why people seek to find a greater reason for there
being a rainbow, such as it is being a creation of God. Why not just
accept it as a pretty thing you look at in the sky, and leave it at
that? who says god needs to be the answer to the unexplainable? There's
nothing wrong with not knowing everything there is to know in this
world, but I dont see the reason for creating a higher power to answer
our unanswerable questions. is it simply too frightening to think of how
much we dont understand on this planet, and thus we must create answers
by inventing gods? enlighten me, im very open to new ideas. I just
simply do not understand the concept of needing a God.

sorry, im not very articulate...i have trouble putting my ideas down on
paper. hopefully that all made some sense.

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - When will my kh24 come?!?!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
post #100 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

as a political science major (a fancy title with no real qualifications,
haha) i believe that you, machinehead, are not analyzing the founding
fathers' statements correctly. while at the time they definitely spoke
and wrote of christian morals, ideas, etc. i believe that today they
would be arguing against christianity.

for a simple example of another, similar example, think of the many
reversals of the democratic and republican parties (meaning the main two
parties, despite their names). originally, the democratic party (in
order to avoid confusion, i am using the modern party to represent all
the predecessors of this party that had similar ideals; same with
republican party) supported states rights. they believed that the
states would protect the rights of the little man from the national
government. the republican party (remember, its today's republican
party) supported the opposite. today it is the opposite, the democrats
support a stronger national government because they believe it can
protect the little man from the states. so while the literal arguements
of the founding fathers on this topic may seem reversed today, they make
perfect sense when looked at in context. i believe the same holds true
when looking at the role of religious morals in the government and
constitution.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339
post #101 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

tennisgh22 wrote:
> *Rainbows are formed when raindrops, acting like a prism, reflect
> sunlight toward the observer, dispersing the light into colors. As
> light enters a water drop, different colors bend at slightly different
> angles. Some of the light reflects off the back of the drop and is
> bent again as it emerges. Drops at different angles from you send
> different colors to your eye. If the light is hitting the rain drop at
> the proper angle, a secondary, larger rainbow will form outside of the
> main rainbow. This secondary rainbow is fainter then the main one
> because the light is reflected twice by each raindrop. This also
> reverses the colors of the secondary rainbow.*

*wipes tear away from eye*
That was beautiful.

tennisgh22 wrote:
> *sorry, im not very articulate...i have trouble putting my ideas down
> on paper. hopefully that all made some sense.*

articulate enough I reckon

Also, nice post John Foss... especially the bit about splitting up long
posts into sections, I run my screen at 1400x1050 pixels & the big long
ones with no gaps are too hard.

I don't wanna drop too many big hints just yet but I'm contemplating
brushing up on a bit of Japanese in the coming weeks...

Seeya round
Pete

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Re: Christian Unicyclists

machinehead61 wrote:
> *digigal1-
>
> And I will pray for you poor non-believers. You don't even begin to
> understand what you are missing.
>
> Been there.
>
> Done that.
>

> Steve *

Steve,

is it safe to assume that believers are happier than non believers?

also, is it the morally correct to pray for someone, even if they ask
not to be prayed for?

why didn't your constant prayers during childhood help? why wasn't God
listening?

im not trying to sound blunt, sarcastic, or mean. im just trying to
understand more about the Christian faith, because i feel very
confused...

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - When will my kh24 come?!?!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
post #103 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

*this thread is bunk!*

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

-Forget_Your_Life-

post #104 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

> And I absolutely guarrantee you, logic will fail you.

Doubtful.

--
zach_jucha - Smilemaker

-Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

- Homestar

-I think I see way more penises then I should.-

- Dan Heaton

-God didn't give him brains but he sure gave him talent.-

- Kris Holm's friend Chris as Kris did a huge drop
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072
post #105 of 109

Re: Christian Unicyclists

I forgot to menation, in response to the origional post, that I put on
juggling shows occasionally where I do some unicycling AND share the good
news that Jesus died for our sins and we can have a personal relationship
with him. I do most of my speaking between juggling tricks, and use the
tricks to illustrate spiritual principles instead of waiting until the end,
like the 1st post suggested. I often end by quoting the first part of John
1, which talks about who Jesus is and the example of John the Baptist, who
pointed people to him. Because that passage calls Jesus the Light of the
World, I often do it while juggling torches.

"Kokomo Juggler" <mgmcderm@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Interesting that you mention riding up and down the isles. We just had a
> "fun" show at our church. I started my act by unicycling and juggling

clubs
> down wht isle. The rest of my show was jokes and juggling. It was very

well
> received.
>
> We had chior practice for the Christmas program a couple of years ago. I
> rode my bike to the practice. It was winter and every week, the weather

got
> worse. Every week someone would ask "You really didn't ride this week did
> you?". One week, I was at my parents only 1/2 mile away. So when they

asked
> you really didn't ride your bike this week, I said. "No I didn't ride my
> bike.... I rode my unicycle!"
>
> Yes, I'm a born again Bible believing Christian.
>

> "tugboat" <tugboat@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
> message news:tugboat.173dbm@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com...
> >
> > I am a christian as well. once again, not normal to see people riding up
> > and down the aisles lol, but maybe some day.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> > --
> > tugboat - Street Unier named Kevin
> >
> > "You won't get hurt if you land it!"