not another maggie post:)

Dej

Guest
The bullet, is mightier than the beak
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/20/1106110876773.html

A feisty magpie picked the wrong person to swoop when it menaced the son of
a Victorian policeman in his backyard on New Year's Day.

The suburban constable says he got his high-powered .22 rifle and killed the
bird.

Now the policeman, from Diamond Creek, is under investigation for
discharging a firearm in a built-up area and may face wildlife offences.

Animal activists are outraged over the death of the bird. Magpies are
protected.

The incident was reported to the police force's ethical standards department
after the off-duty officer's neighbour heard gunshots.

A police spokeswoman said yesterday that the officer had been questioned
about discharging a firearm in a populous place, but no disciplinary action
had been taken. It is not known whether he will face criminal charges.

Ron Waters, the manager of flora and fauna compliance at the Department of
Sustainability and Environment, said magpies were protected and it was
illegal to deliberately kill them without a permit or authority. Doing so
carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment or a $5000 fine.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 at 01:58 GMT, Dej (aka Bruce)
> Ron Waters, the manager of flora and fauna compliance at the Department of
> Sustainability and Environment, said magpies were protected and it was
> illegal to deliberately kill them without a permit or authority. Doing so
> carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment or a $5000 fine.

I... accidentally.... swang it around and around by its wing, and then
let it go flying into a power poll.

NOT A CHANCE! I know for a *fact* the kittens aren't frightened
by temporal anomalies. Clock watching simply ain't their bag.
John Schmidt@ARK

Dej said:
[...]

Give that man a cigar!!!

F "What are ya waitin for, Do you wanna live forever?"Dutch

"Dej" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The bullet, is mightier than the beak
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/20/1106110876773.html
>
> A feisty magpie picked the wrong person to swoop when it menaced the son

of
> a Victorian policeman in his backyard on New Year's Day.
>
> The suburban constable says he got his high-powered .22 rifle and killed

the
> bird.
>
> Now the policeman, from Diamond Creek, is under investigation for
> discharging a firearm in a built-up area and may face wildlife offences.
>
> Animal activists are outraged over the death of the bird. Magpies are
> protected.
>
> The incident was reported to the police force's ethical standards

department
> after the off-duty officer's neighbour heard gunshots.
>
> A police spokeswoman said yesterday that the officer had been questioned
> about discharging a firearm in a populous place, but no disciplinary

action
> had been taken. It is not known whether he will face criminal charges.
>
> Ron Waters, the manager of flora and fauna compliance at the Department of
> Sustainability and Environment, said magpies were protected and it was
> illegal to deliberately kill them without a permit or authority. Doing so
> carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment or a $5000 fine.

protected species???

There are thousands of the evil little pests round Adelaide, more than
likely more of them than there are cyclists...

Go get em mista policeman!!!