or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crossposted message cycling across France

post #1 of 9
Hello,
I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2 weeks?

Best regards

O'Donnell
post #2 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

"O'Donnell Tribunal" <spinnaret@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2

weeks?

850 km ... some hilly bits.
Assuming some sort of cycling experience and good kit (so you dont spend
time having it fixed), yes.

Having said that I was fairly knackered doing 85 km per day in scotland last
year.
post #3 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

"O'Donnell Tribunal" <spinnaret@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
> I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2

weeks?

> Best regards
>
> O'Donnell

Easily. Almost flat. I you hate climbing and hills travel to the "bas-rhin"
area in NE France and then follow the river Rhin/Rhein.

Bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
post #4 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

On 15/4/04 8:09 pm, in article 1082056159.4046.0@ersa.uk.clara.net, "Jon
Senior" <jon@restless_REMOVE_lemon.co.uk> wrote:

> "W K" <hyagillot@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> Having said that I was fairly knackered doing 85 km per day in scotland

> last
>> year.

> But Scottish hills are "special". Where did you go? I'm interested in doing
> some smallish tours of Scotland myself.

Aye, that'll be *wee* tours the noo!

...d
post #5 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

Hi Bert,

Thanks very much for your useful advice.

Best Regards

O'Donnell
post #6 of 9

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:41:26 +0000, Terry wrote:

> "Simonb" <sbennett@YOUAREALLHEATHENSwiderworld.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable
>> > in 2

>> weeks?
>>
>> Yes.

> Which way does the wind blow across europe usually?Is it SW as in UK?
> TerryJ

West wind brings bad weather (NW cold, SW warm, but wet in all cases).
East/NE wind brings cold nice weather.
Riding from Cherbourg to Strasbourg only the weather forecast will tell
you if you will get tail- or headwinds; but at least you shouldn't have rain
AND headwinds at the same time.

Jacques
post #7 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

In article <a96aa4e3.0404150655.5ea97c4d@posting.google.com>,
spinnaret@hotmail.com (O'Donnell Tribunal) wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2
> weeks?

Bien sûr !
Have a look at
http://www.loria.fr/~jacquot/velo/leisure.html
tour 97 and 98 may have some interest for you.

Bonne route,

Jean-Pierre
post #8 of 9

Re: Crossposted message cycling across France

> > Hello,
> > I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2
> > weeks?
> >

> Bien sûr !
> Have a look at
> http://www.loria.fr/~jacquot/velo/leisure.html
> tour 97 and 98 may have some interest for you.
>
> Bonne route,
>
> Jean-Pierre

Many Thanks

O'Donnell
post #9 of 9

O'Donnell Tribunal wrote:

> I would like to cycle from Cherbourg to Starsbourg. Is this feasable in 2 weeks?

A while ago, and a different start and finish, but

http://tranchant.plus.com/cycling/french-trip

We did 720 miles in 9 days with full camping gear and minimal long-distance
multi-day touring experience. Admittedly, our prime aim was to get from A
(Caen) to B (Port Grimaud) as quickly as comfortably possible, but this is
a longer distance than you're planning, and I *think* it's a bit hillier
than your route.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/