Waldorf salad w/marshmallows and grapes

Amberinauburn

Guest
I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include chicken or
celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows and
grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back in the dark
ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts, grapes, marshmallows and
stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also it used to have I think a
dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon juice. I know this because in my house
we didn't use mayonnaise only miracle whip. Does anyone have any good recipes
for me? We Googled and every recipe had celery or chicken in it.

Thanking you in advance

Amber

"Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include chicken
>or
> celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows
> and
> grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back in the
> dark
> ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts, grapes,
> marshmallows and
> stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also it used to have I think a
> dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon juice. I know this because in my
> house
> we didn't use mayonnaise only miracle whip. Does anyone have any good
> recipes
> for me? We Googled and every recipe had celery or chicken in it.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Amber

Whatever salad you are looking for may be very good, but please don't call
it Waldorf salad. The name Waldorf refers to a specific recipe from the
Waldorf Astoria hotel that contains apple, celery, walnuts, mayonaisse, etc.
It does *not* contain marshmallows or grapes or miracle whip - or chicken
for that matter.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

"Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include chicken
>or
> celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows
> and
> grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back in the
> dark
> ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts, grapes,
> marshmallows and
> stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also it used to have I think a
> dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon juice. I know this because in my
> house
> we didn't use mayonnaise only miracle whip. Does anyone have any good
> recipes
> for me? We Googled and every recipe had celery or chicken in it.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Amber

<gag....barf> Marshmallows in a salad? :)

Amberinauburn wrote:
> I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1
> doesn't include chicken or celery since we don't want it
> in there and #2 does include marshmallows and grapes. We
> both used to eat something like this in school. Way back
> in the dark ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples,
> walnuts, grapes, marshmallows and stuff in it. We need
> the amounts of each also it used to have I think a
> dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon juice. I know
> this because in my house we didn't use mayonnaise only
> miracle whip. Does anyone have any good recipes for me?
> We Googled and every recipe had celery or chicken in it.

Could you use a recipe that sounds like it would fit your ideas, but leave
out what you don't like and add whatever you would like?

Just a thought.

BOB

BOB wrote:

> Amberinauburn wrote:
> > I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1
> > doesn't include chicken or celery since we don't want it
> > in there and #2 does include marshmallows and grapes.
> >

> Could you use a recipe that sounds like it would fit your ideas, but leave
> out what you don't like and add whatever you would like?
> Just a thought.
> BOB

Then you could call it an original creation - the Amberdorf Salad. Or
Amberwal or Walburn. Or Grallow Salad :)
Edrena

W******f Party Salad ;-)

Ingredients:

3 cups apples, diced
1 cup grapes, seedless
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
Lettuce

Directions:

Combine the fruit, marshmallows and nuts, toss lightly.
Combine the whipped cream and Miracle Whip.
Fold into the fruit salad.
Chill.

Before serving, place the mixture on a bed of lettuce.

-Rusty

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 11:08:18a, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include
>>chicken or
>> celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows
>> and grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back
>> in the dark ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts,
>> grapes, marshmallows and stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also
>> it used to have I think a dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon
>> juice. I know this because in my house we didn't use mayonnaise only
>> miracle whip. Does anyone have any good recipes for me? We Googled and
>> every recipe had celery or chicken in it.
>>
>> Thanking you in advance
>>
>> Amber
>>

> Whatever salad you are looking for may be very good, but please don't
> call it Waldorf salad. The name Waldorf refers to a specific recipe from
> the Waldorf Astoria hotel that contains apple, celery, walnuts,
> mayonaisse, etc. It does *not* contain marshmallows or grapes or miracle
> whip - or chicken for that matter.

Peter, this reminds me of what somebody did to "Ambrosia" years ago. What
authentically contained only fresh oranges, coconut, and sugar (possibly
garnished with a few toasted pecans or tiny bits of maraschino cherry),
ended up bastardized with marshmallows, CoolWhip, and God knows what else.
It's enough to gag a maggot.

Wayne

The Joneses wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>
>> Amberinauburn wrote:
>>> I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1
>>> doesn't include chicken or celery since we don't want it
>>> in there and #2 does include marshmallows and grapes.
>>>

>> Could you use a recipe that sounds like it would fit
>> your ideas, but leave out what you don't like and add
>> whatever you would like?
>> Just a thought.
>> BOB

> Then you could call it an original creation - the
> Amberdorf Salad. Or Amberwal or Walburn. Or Grallow
> Salad :)
> Edrena

Yaeh. I wasn't going to get into the naming thing. There are too many
people that like that kind of thing much more than I do.

I just think it is extremely silly to have to find an "EXACT" recipe when
all the recipes that you find have things in it that you don't like, and
omit things that you want in it. With a recipe, I might make it exactly
the first time to see if I like it, but then I usually change things just
for the variations that I can come up with.

BOB

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 12:05:19p, BOB wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> The Joneses wrote:
>> BOB wrote:

>>> Could you use a recipe that sounds like it would fit
>>> your ideas, but leave out what you don't like and add
>>> whatever you would like?
>>> Just a thought.
>>> BOB

>> Then you could call it an original creation - the
>> Amberdorf Salad. Or Amberwal or Walburn. Or Grallow
>> Salad :)
>> Edrena

> Yaeh. I wasn't going to get into the naming thing. There are too many
> people that like that kind of thing much more than I do.
>
> I just think it is extremely silly to have to find an "EXACT" recipe when
> all the recipes that you find have things in it that you don't like, and
> omit things that you want in it. With a recipe, I might make it exactly
> the first time to see if I like it, but then I usually change things just
> for the variations that I can come up with.
>
> BOB

Yeah, to me that's the whole point of knowing how to cook and being
creative in making a recipe your own and that you like.

Wayne

BOB wrote:

> Yaeh. I wasn't going to get into the naming thing. There are too

many
> people that like that kind of thing much more than I do.
>
> I just think it is extremely silly to have to find an "EXACT" recipe

when
> all the recipes that you find have things in it that you don't like,

and
> omit things that you want in it. With a recipe, I might make it

exactly
> the first time to see if I like it, but then I usually change things

just
> for the variations that I can come up with.

Well... the naming thing is kind of trivial and I don't meant to be
snob but as you modify a recipe there is a point of no return after
which it is no longer the same thing. You can't just say "I'll make
Beef Stroganoff but instead of beef I'll use turnips." Whatever you end
up with may be exactly how you like it but it won't be Beef Stroganoff.
Some kind of consistency in recipes is necessary in such discussions
just like a common terminology is necessary in most aspects of life.
Otherwise people can get tragically confused. It's kind of like your
girlfried saying "Let's have sex but instead of taking our clothes off
and going to bed, we'll mow the loan and take out the garbage" That BTY
is a common misunderstanding that is fundamental to the instiution of
marriage.

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu 27 Jan 2005 11:08:18a, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include
>>>chicken or
>>> celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows
>>> and grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back
>>> in the dark ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts,
>>> grapes, marshmallows and stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also
>>> it used to have I think a dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon
>>> juice. I know this because in my house we didn't use mayonnaise only
>>> miracle whip. Does anyone have any good recipes for me? We Googled and
>>> every recipe had celery or chicken in it.
>>>
>>> Thanking you in advance
>>>
>>> Amber
>>>

>> Whatever salad you are looking for may be very good, but please don't
>> call it Waldorf salad. The name Waldorf refers to a specific recipe from
>> the Waldorf Astoria hotel that contains apple, celery, walnuts,
>> mayonaisse, etc. It does *not* contain marshmallows or grapes or miracle
>> whip - or chicken for that matter.

> Peter, this reminds me of what somebody did to "Ambrosia" years ago. What
> authentically contained only fresh oranges, coconut, and sugar (possibly
> garnished with a few toasted pecans or tiny bits of maraschino cherry),
> ended up bastardized with marshmallows, CoolWhip, and God knows what else.
> It's enough to gag a maggot.
>
> Wayne

I want to say something more here, but it wouldn't be politically correct.
:) Let's just say you're right. :)

"Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> W******f Party Salad ;-)
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 3 cups apples, diced
> 1 cup grapes, seedless
> 1 cup miniature marshmallows
> 1/2 cup walnuts
> 1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
> 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
> Lettuce
>>

> Directions:
>
> Combine the fruit, marshmallows and nuts, toss lightly.
> Combine the whipped cream and Miracle Whip.
> Fold into the fruit salad.
> Chill.
>
> Before serving, place the mixture on a bed of lettuce.
>
> -Rusty

<mmmfffff.....bucket....quick>

Why not leave out the marshmallows, dressing and cream, and toss the whole
thing with some vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt that was mixed with orange
zest the day before and left to "flavor up"?

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 12:32:53p, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu 27 Jan 2005 11:08:18a, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> "Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Whatever salad you are looking for may be very good, but please don't
>>> call it Waldorf salad. The name Waldorf refers to a specific recipe
>>> from the Waldorf Astoria hotel that contains apple, celery, walnuts,
>>> mayonaisse, etc. It does *not* contain marshmallows or grapes or
>>> miracle whip - or chicken for that matter.

>> Peter, this reminds me of what somebody did to "Ambrosia" years ago.
>> What authentically contained only fresh oranges, coconut, and sugar
>> (possibly garnished with a few toasted pecans or tiny bits of
>> maraschino cherry), ended up bastardized with marshmallows, CoolWhip,
>> and God knows what else. It's enough to gag a maggot.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I want to say something more here, but it wouldn't be politically
> correct.
>:) Let's just say you're right. :)

ROTFLMAO! Your restraint is admirable!

Wayne

On Thu 27 Jan 2005 11:25:12a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Amberinauburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I am trying to find a Waldorf salad recipe that #1 doesn't include
>>chicken or
>> celery since we don't want it in there and #2 does include marshmallows
>> and grapes. We both used to eat something like this in school. Way back
>> in the dark ages. And we miss it; we know we want apples, walnuts,
>> grapes, marshmallows and stuff in it. We need the amounts of each also
>> it used to have I think a dressing made of Miracle whip and lemon
>> juice. I know this because in my house we didn't use mayonnaise only
>> miracle whip. Does anyone have any good recipes for me? We Googled and
>> every recipe had celery or chicken in it.
>>
>> Thanking you in advance
>>
>> Amber
>>

> <gag....barf> Marshmallows in a salad? :)

As I look back over this thread, it reminds me of something that happened
at work 7-8 years ago. One day around the holidays, a co-worker whom I'd
know and been friends with for years said to me, "Your family's from the
South aren't they? Do you have a good recipe for Ambrosia?" I replied,
"Yes, they are and, yes, I make Ambrosia they same way my grandmother and
mother made it. It's very simple, let me just tell you how to do it." My
friend replied, "Oh, no, you'll need to write it down so that I get it
just right." Without further conversation about it, the next day I
provided very detailed instructions beginning with how to crack a coconut,
save the coconut water, peel the skin from the meat, how to grate it,
etc., as well as how to peel and section oranges to eliminate any pith,
etc., and finally, how to assemble in a decorative glass or crystal bowl
the layers of coconut, orange, sugar, a few flecks of maraschino cherry
for color, etc., allowing it to "ripen" in the refrigerator and, finally,
sprinkling before serving with broken toasted pecan halves.

We were having lunch when I presented this to him, and he took an
inordinately long time to read and re-read my instructions. Finally, with
a puzzled look, he asked, "Didn't you leave out the CoolWhip and
marshmallows?"

We had a long discussion about the origin of recipes!

Cheers,
Wayne

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> W******f Party Salad ;-)
>>
>> Ingredients:
>>
>> 3 cups apples, diced
>> 1 cup grapes, seedless
>> 1 cup miniature marshmallows
>> 1/2 cup walnuts
>> 1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
>> 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
>> Lettuce
>>>

>> Directions:
>>
>> Combine the fruit, marshmallows and nuts, toss lightly.
>> Combine the whipped cream and Miracle Whip.
>> Fold into the fruit salad.
>> Chill.
>>
>> Before serving, place the mixture on a bed of lettuce.
>>
>> -Rusty
>>

> <mmmfffff.....bucket....quick>
>
> Why not leave out the marshmallows, dressing and cream, and toss the
> whole thing with some vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt that was mixed
> with orange zest the day before and left to "flavor up"?

Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did* provide
the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't care for it
either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was looking for.

kili

>Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did*
provide
>the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't care for it
>either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was looking for.

>kili

I can't stand Miracle Whip. Through a Google search, I found a
recipe that fit the description of what the OP wanted. To each his own.
I've been lurking here on and off since 1994.

-Rusty

"Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did*

> provide
>>the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't care for it
>>either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was looking for.

>>kili

> I can't stand Miracle Whip. Through a Google search, I found a
> recipe that fit the description of what the OP wanted. To each his own.
> I've been lurking here on and off since 1994.
>
> -Rusty

I had Miracle Whip long ago, and seem to remember that it had a sweet taste,
as opposed to the slight tartness of mayonaisse. Does that sound right?

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> W******f Party Salad ;-)
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>>
>>> 3 cups apples, diced
>>> 1 cup grapes, seedless
>>> 1 cup miniature marshmallows
>>> 1/2 cup walnuts
>>> 1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
>>> 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
>>> Lettuce
>>>>
>>> Directions:
>>>
>>> Combine the fruit, marshmallows and nuts, toss lightly.
>>> Combine the whipped cream and Miracle Whip.
>>> Fold into the fruit salad.
>>> Chill.
>>>
>>> Before serving, place the mixture on a bed of lettuce.
>>>
>>> -Rusty
>>>

>> <mmmfffff.....bucket....quick>
>>
>> Why not leave out the marshmallows, dressing and cream, and toss the
>> whole thing with some vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt that was mixed
>> with orange zest the day before and left to "flavor up"?

> Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did* provide
> the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't care for it
> either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was looking for.
>
> kili

Yeah....but we're the diabetes and obesity capital of the known universe!

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did*
>>> provide the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't
>>> care for it either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was
>>> looking for.

>>> kili

>> I can't stand Miracle Whip. Through a Google search, I found a
>> recipe that fit the description of what the OP wanted. To each his
>> own. I've been lurking here on and off since 1994.
>>
>> -Rusty
>>

> I had Miracle Whip long ago, and seem to remember that it had a sweet
> taste, as opposed to the slight tartness of mayonaisse. Does that
> sound right?

It's like a lemony, **** flavor sort of. My mom used to use it all the time
instead of Mayo. I ended up with an ex-husband who couldn't stand Miracle
Whip and I adjusted to Mayo. Just last year a roommate of mine refused to
touch Mayo and only bought Miracle Whip, which I tried because I thought I
liked it. I did *not*. Once you have Mayo, you can't go back to Miracle
Whip. It just isn't the same (even though I still don't really even like
Mayo.)

kili

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> "Rusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> <mmmfffff.....bucket....quick>
>>>
>>> Why not leave out the marshmallows, dressing and cream, and toss the
>>> whole thing with some vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt that was mixed
>>> with orange zest the day before and left to "flavor up"?

>> Actually, whether or not any one of us would like it, Rusty *did*
>> provide the OP with a recipe that fit the description. I wouldn't
>> care for it either, but the OP hopefully found what he/she was
>> looking for.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Yeah....but we're the diabetes and obesity capital of the known
> universe!

Yes we are! :~)

kili