Recipes: Desserts!

Karaitiana

Guest
Hey everyone! I'm a college student and I am just learning to get my
hands dirty in the kitchen. I want to start baking or preparing
dessets, and if anyone want to share any good dessert recipes for a
beginner to start with, that would be awesome. Thanks!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Karaitiana" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey everyone! I'm a college student and I am just learning to get my
> hands dirty in the kitchen. I want to start baking or preparing
> dessets, and if anyone want to share any good dessert recipes for a
> beginner to start with, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Perhaps you could narrow your question a bit. Or, a lot. Cakes, cookies,
candies, pies, tarts, ice cream. Likes and dislikes. Allergies.
Facilities available.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

A tour through www.recipesource.com is worthwhile. Cookies
are often easy to make and so are bars. Melt a 12 oz bag of
chocolate chips (carefully! don't let it get too hot.) and pour
in a can of sweetened condensed milk to make an easy batch
of fudge. Maybe add a teaspoon of vanilla and toss in some
nuts, too.

Although I'm not fond of them, my daughter likes "no-bake"
cookies. You might give them a shot, too. There are many
variations, mostly melted chips and some kind of cereal.
Good luck, Michael

Karaitiana wrote:
> Hey everyone! I'm a college student and I am just learning to get my
> hands dirty in the kitchen. I want to start baking or preparing
> dessets, and if anyone want to share any good dessert recipes for a
> beginner to start with, that would be awesome. Thanks!

If you're really in Hawaii, I'd eat nothing but mixed fruit, cut
up and drizzled with a bit of honey or lilikoi syrup.

gloria p

Biscuits

2 cups self rising flour (not all purpose)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup mayonnaise (not miracle whip)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all three ingredients with a mixer
until a dough forms; it takes a minute or two. Once dough has formed,
you can either scoop it onto a greased baking pan or greased muffin
tins (fill muffin tins halfway), but I prefer to wet my hands and put
some of the dough in my hands and roll it and pat it into a small
pattie and put on the baking surface. Be sure to put biscuits at least
1" apart on baking sheet. Cook 15-17 minutes or until biscuits are
golden brown on top. As soon as you pull them out of the oven, brush
the tops with melted butter.

"Karaitiana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey everyone! I'm a college student and I am just learning to get

my
> hands dirty in the kitchen. I want to start baking or preparing
> dessets, and if anyone want to share any good dessert recipes for a
> beginner to start with, that would be awesome. Thanks!

This is a modified version of a recipe that was published last
September in the NY Times and titled Balzano Apple Cake. I made it a
few times and, even though the original recipe was very good, I
altered it a bit to simplify it and to improve on it. It is really
delicious and quite easy to make.

½ stick butter (2 ounces), plus more for greasing pan
3/4 cup flour, plus more for pan
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Granny Smith apples
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
Powdered sugar to sprinkle top (optional)

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Smear the inside of an 8-inch-square pan
with butter or margarine. Dust it with flour, then turn pan over, and
tap lightly to remove excess flour. Set it aside.

2. Melt butter in small saucepan or in a suitable microwave container
covered with a paper towel. I use a ceramic cup.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and sugar,
then stir in the milk. Next add the butter, vanilla extract and stir
to mix thoroughly. It should now be about the same consistency as
pancake batter. Set it aside.

4. Peel, quarter and core the apples, then cut them into slices about
1/8 - 1/4 inch thick

5. Stir the apples into the batter, coating every piece with batter.
Pour the batter into the 8"pan, using a spoon or your fingers to pat
top evenly.

6. Bake for 25 minutes, then rotate the pan; bake for about 25 minutes
more, until cake pulls away from pan and is brown on top; a
thin-bladed knife inserted into the center will come out clean when it
is done. Cool 30 minutes and then, if desired, sprinkle the top with
powdered sugar.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

On 27 Jan 2005 15:57:42 -0800, "Karaitiana" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey everyone! I'm a college student and I am just learning to get my
>hands dirty in the kitchen. I want to start baking or preparing
>dessets, and if anyone want to share any good dessert recipes for a
>beginner to start with, that would be awesome. Thanks!

This is a favorite of mine. Haven't made it in years, but I smile every
time I think of it. Dang, I might be doing some grocery shopping tomorrow!

Carol

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carrot Cake

Recipe By :Damsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes

1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups raw carrots -- shredded
2 cups coconut -- flaked
1 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
8 ounces pineapple -- crushed
--- Cream Cheese Frosting ---
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup melted butter -- (2 sticks)
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar -- as needed

1. Combine all ingredients in order given, using wooden spoon.
2. Bake in greased and floured 9x13-inch pan at 350F for 50-60 minutes, or
until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely.
3. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 8176 Calories (kcal); 593g Total Fat; (63% calories from fat);
68g Protein; 685g Carbohydrate; 907mg Cholesterol; 6063mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 15 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2
Fruit; 115 1/2 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates

This is one I usually make for a holiday treat, but can be enjoyed any time
of the year.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mixed Nut Bars

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : bars Christmas
nuts

---Base---
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick soft butter
---Filling---
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water
6 ounces butterscotch chips
---Topping---
12 ounces salted mixed nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Apply a coating of non-stick vegetable
spray to the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan.

Mix sugar, flour, salt, and one stick of butter; pat mixture into the
prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.

Combine 2 tablespoons butter, corn syrup, water, and butterscotch chips in
a saucepan. Over low heat, cook until chips are melted, stirring
constantly. Pour filling onto baked base, then distribute mixed nuts
evenly over the filling.

Bake for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature, and cut into bars with a
sharp knife.

Per serving: 131 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (41% calories from fat); 2g
Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 3mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1
Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates