or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Health Nutrition and Supplements › Smoking & Cycling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking & Cycling - Page 7

post #91 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

This is probably one of my fav threads! So interesting

It's interesting to read that on some posts people say that it only seems to affect their LSD's (long slow distances) and not short sharp climbs as they go anaerobic on climbs anyway. You will probably find that you will not hit your anaerobic threshold so quick if you didnt smoke.
Don't know where you're from closeup but if your form the UK try the NHS. 0800 167 1670 I used to work for them they will help... Good luck.

I mean it try while you can. easy to say yeah, hard to do also. I have never smoked so I don't know just how difficult it is to give up but I know it aint easy and studies have proven this! But I do know it's important to give up for you own health and riding.

GOOD LUCK AND GO FOR IT
post #92 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve007
I've been reading this thread for a while and i must say that i am suprised that A) People are still smoking and B) That some people still say how great it is.

I know alot of people who smoke a little. They generally call themselves social smokers, dont believe they should be classed as a smoker and dont see they are doing themselves much damage, although this is of course all wrong.

Smoke a little or alot, it still does its damage. Its not until you give up completely that the body goes through a cleansing process.

Then there is the rubbish about how we have been smoking since time began and that because indians smoke a peace pipe (amongst other substances) that somehow means we are gaining spiritually by lighting up a Marlboro - again rubbish!

Every human body is different - its a complex chemical structure. Introducing certain chemicals can put off balance this structure. Genetics play a large part in how sensitive certain people are to ciggarette smoke. Whether its passive smoking, 5 sticks a week, or 40 sticks a day, its a risk that doesnt have to be taken.

Lastly there is always the smug response "Well we are all gonna die of something", or "Better to burn out than fade away", or "We are only here once, I wanna live life to the max", or "Were here for a good time, not a long time". Visit any cancer ward and you will see why all these statements are complete and utter rubbish.

Its time to take smoking serously. I've seen first hand the suffering smoking can cause. I've seen people will throat cancer crying, desperate to turn the clock back, who realised only too late how precious life is. Not everyone dies peacefully in their sleep, death can be a very very slow and painful experience.

So quit. While you still can.
I have to disagree with you. People do lots of harmful or dangerous things, knowingly or unknowingly, road cycling for instance . There is nothing "wrong" about it.
I only managed to quit smoking when I realized that I should be able to accept other people smoking. Death doesn't concern me as much as life - I want to have a better, healthier life.
post #93 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsikH
I have to disagree with you. People do lots of harmful or dangerous things, knowingly or unknowingly, road cycling for instance . There is nothing "wrong" about it.
I only managed to quit smoking when I realized that I should be able to accept other people smoking. Death doesn't concern me as much as life - I want to have a better, healthier life.
Your statement "I have to disagree with you", followed shortly by "I want to have a better healthier life", indicates a serious flaw in your logic.

I'm not casting a *moral* judgement in any way; by wrong i mean the assumption that lighter smokers are not causing damage to themselves.

I've heard many times the argument about other so called "dangerous" sporting or career activities and I can tell you from my experience that its an unreasonable argument, created to justify reason to an unreasonable, stupid act. 1 in 2 lifetime smokers will die from their habit. Emphysema is really not a nice way to die.

You mention your opinion about life/death, but death is not simply a door we walk through, its a journey.

What type of journey depends entirely on how we live our lives.
post #94 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve007
Your statement "I have to disagree with you", followed shortly by "I want to have a better healthier life", indicates a serious flaw in your logic.

I'm not casting a *moral* judgement in any way; by wrong i mean the assumption that lighter smokers are not causing damage to themselves.

I've heard many times the argument about other so called "dangerous" sporting or career activities and I can tell you from my experience that its an unreasonable argument, created to justify reason to an unreasonable, stupid act. 1 in 2 lifetime smokers will die from their habit. Emphysema is really not a nice way to die.

You mention your opinion about life/death, but death is not simply a door we walk through, its a journey.

What type of journey depends entirely on how we live our lives.
As for the justifications smokers use - I more than agree. I was just trying to point out that we make choices which are not always "good" for us, assuming that we can tell good and bad choices in the first place. I love and accept my friends the way they are, with their flaws, and smoking is one many of them share. I also respect them enough to accept their choice.
As for death - I have seen enough of it, and will soon see some more, to know that very few "die peacfully in their sleep". Its a myth. Most die "peacfully" after years of pain and suffering, smokers or not, there is no "nice way to die". The only difference is between fighting and giving up.
post #95 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

I'm gonna split your response into sections and address it one by one.


As for the justifications smokers use - I more than agree. I was just trying to point out that we make choices which are not always "good" for us, assuming that we can tell good and bad choices in the first place.

Theres no extra sensory perception needed here. The facts are very obvious. There is no need to "tell" if it is right or wrong.

I love and accept my friends the way they are, with their flaws, and smoking is one many of them share.

Yes I'm aware that in certain parts of the world, a higher proportion of the population smoke

I also respect them enough to accept their choice.

I'm sure they will thank you for that one day!

As for death - I have seen enough of it, and will soon see some more, to know that very few "die peacfully in their sleep".

OK, so you believe that very few die peacefully in their sleep. Its true that for some death can be unpleasant. However the period of life prior to death for smokers is in 90% of cases of a much lower quality. That is to say that 1 in 2 people who spend their life smoking will die as a result of a disease relating to their smoking habit.

Its a myth. Most die "peacfully" after years of pain and suffering, smokers or not, there is no "nice way to die".

Ahhh, so now you do believe that people die peacefully....will you make your mind up! Of course there is no nice way to die - the will to live is installed in us all from birth. Its wide accepted that as we get older our body becomes less efficient, some people need some form of medication to address certain problems. Cancer is not so easily dealt with.

The only difference is between fighting and giving up.

Lung cancer doesnt give you a choice. It doesnt respect your effort to live. Its a killer and whether you fight or give up, its got you.
post #96 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

On a complete different note, I'm now past my 8th months of being smoke-free and it feels just fine.
post #97 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

I was leaving a sponsor dinner after the USPRO Champs this year and there is a womans team that is sponsored by the same company that my team is. The "star" of this team who has won the Liberty Classic many times was smoking on the steps of the restaurant as I walked out. I was really surprised but came to find out that alot of bike racers smoke.... Even the best ones.



Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu
Just wonder how may people smoke and cycle? Do you believe it hinders your cycling ability if so to what extent.
post #98 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunswick_kate
On a complete different note, I'm now past my 8th months of being smoke-free and it feels just fine.
Excellent work. It takes alot of willpower to overcome those habits.

Also in response to OKPro's comment, I understand your point, I have a friend in the SAS who smokes and he is very very fit and pretty tough. I'm not convinced however that he wouldnt be fitter and reduce the risk of lung cancer into the bargain if he didnt smoke.

With regard to cyclists, I have a friend who smokes the occasional ciggarette. I think although you saw this person smoking, I would think it would be very occasional, otherwise it would effect cardio-respiratory fitness i am sure.
post #99 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Gave up from 100+ a day addiction.
Took 2 years of hell to get clean.
Had good motivation to quit. 2 mates dead from Lung Cancer, both younger and smoked less than me.
15 years later still not game to have 1 as I know I will start again.
One thing I enjoy about cycling is that at my level (commute/fitness) it is practically cigarette free.

Anyhow, there is no ashtray on a bike, where do you put the buts? No, No No - you dont litter do you!

Hugh
post #100 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Thought you might be interested in this victory over cancer story even nonsmokers can get cancer and I find it very troubling when people are sent home to die with no hope. Sorry about your Dad that's alot to handle when it's someone close.
http://www.thebodytherapycenter.com/drg.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonWheels
I tried to edit my post but couldnt because I waited too long. I dont mean to offend anyone, its just that this is a very touchy subject for me because of my father's death from lung cancer.

I applaud anyone who quits, I know how hard it was for my father when he tried.
post #101 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

And I just made 10 months smoke free...If I can do it, anyone can do it.
post #102 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKpro
I was leaving a sponsor dinner after the USPRO Champs this year and there is a womans team that is sponsored by the same company that my team is. The "star" of this team who has won the Liberty Classic many times was smoking on the steps of the restaurant as I walked out. I was really surprised but came to find out that alot of bike racers smoke.... Even the best ones.
How interesting. A personal friend of mine who was one of 2 MTB racers in Asia that qualified and raced in the Athen Olympics smokes, too. I guess you can be quick to say, "Ah, that's why he is no where near the podium." IMPO, he's not there because his country does not give the same attention to cycling compared to the other sport. His smoking doesn't stop him from kicking a** in all the regional championships held here, against cyclist who doesn't smoke.

I'm not trying to put up a challenge here as whether to light up or not. Just stating a fact I know.
post #103 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoh
How interesting. A personal friend of mine who was one of 2 MTB racers in Asia that qualified and raced in the Athen Olympics smokes, too. I guess you can be quick to say, "Ah, that's why he is no where near the podium." IMPO, he's not there because his country does not give the same attention to cycling compared to the other sport. His smoking doesn't stop him from kicking a** in all the regional championships held here, against cyclist who doesn't smoke.

I'm not trying to put up a challenge here as whether to light up or not. Just stating a fact I know.
Well i've started training properly this week, i've found difficulties and have noticed that my fitness has suffered imensly so i have purchased the nicorette nasal spray since the patches don't work, or rather they don't stick to the skin during vigorous exercise (sweating), and there to damn expensive to use more than 1 patch aday.

So hopefully if all goes well i will be attempting no smoking again, Yip i've said this before, but hopefully i'll be successful this time around.....

Corrrr! i need a cigggy!!...lol its horid being a slave to the weed.
post #104 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoh
How interesting. A personal friend of mine who was one of 2 MTB racers in Asia that qualified and raced in the Athen Olympics smokes, too. I guess you can be quick to say, "Ah, that's why he is no where near the podium." IMPO, he's not there because his country does not give the same attention to cycling compared to the other sport. His smoking doesn't stop him from kicking a** in all the regional championships held here, against cyclist who doesn't smoke.

I'm not trying to put up a challenge here as whether to light up or not. Just stating a fact I know.
My response to this, and I've heard variations on the theme many times before, is talk to me when you're 45 or 50. The damage done to the lungs/heart etc etc etc is cumulative. It doesn't happen overnight. Sure, it "cool" when you're 20. Not so cool at 40 and decidedly uncool at 65.

Smoking didn't bother me either when I was 18. Or 25. ... 42...different story coming down the pike. Now I'm praying that 25 years of hard-core heavy duty smoking (pack to pack and a half daily) will not result in permanent damage, that my lungs will heal, and that the inhaled steroids (twice daily thank you) will clean up the inflammation in the bronchial tubes in the next 5 or 6 months. On the bright side, it's not COPD or lung cancer or...or ... or...or....yet.

Best of luck to your friend but both of you are kidding yourselves if you think that smoking isn't detrimental to long-term health.
post #105 of 134

Re: Smoking & Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunswick_kate
My response to this, and I've heard variations on the theme many times before, is talk to me when you're 45 or 50. The damage done to the lungs/heart etc etc etc is cumulative. It doesn't happen overnight. Sure, it "cool" when you're 20. Not so cool at 40 and decidedly uncool at 65.

Smoking didn't bother me either when I was 18. Or 25. ... 42...different story coming down the pike. Now I'm praying that 25 years of hard-core heavy duty smoking (pack to pack and a half daily) will not result in permanent damage, that my lungs will heal, and that the inhaled steroids (twice daily thank you) will clean up the inflammation in the bronchial tubes in the next 5 or 6 months. On the bright side, it's not COPD or lung cancer or...or ... or...or....yet.

Best of luck to your friend but both of you are kidding yourselves if you think that smoking isn't detrimental to long-term health.
i stopped this morning and the nicorette nasal spray actually works, okey i craved ciggerettes once or twice but i got around it with normal gum, plus i been riding properly again for 4days today being day 5 and i have already completed my 17.9 miles in under an hour which i am very very pleased with

Smoker 1.02.54 non smoker for 1 day 52.34 so if that ain't encouraging enough, bring on day 2 as long as i keep on seeing improvements i guess i'm going to remain cigerette free!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Cycling Forums › Forums › Bikes › Health Nutrition and Supplements › Smoking & Cycling