REC - Quick Creamy Cabbage

Damsel in dis Dress

Guest
This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:

Quick Creamy Cabbage

6 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
A dash of pepper

Cook cabbage in salted water for about 5 minutes in a covered pan. Do not
drain. Add remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese melts. Serves
four.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:
>

> Quick Creamy Cabbage

No offense to Maureen intended but it sounds disgusting.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>>This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:
>>

>>Quick Creamy Cabbage
>>

> No offense to Maureen intended but it sounds disgusting.
>
> Jill

How could anything with cream cheese be disgusting?

gloria p

rosie readandpost wrote:
> why is that?

Undrained boiled cabbage with cream cheese? Just doesn't sound quite
"right" to me.

Jill

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>> This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:
>>>

>>> Quick Creamy Cabbage
>>>

>> No offense to Maureen intended but it sounds disgusting.
>>
>> Jill

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:57:29 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:
>>
>> Quick Creamy Cabbage
>>

>No offense to Maureen intended but it sounds disgusting.

You kidding? I'm gonna make a batch of this!

Carol

jmcquown wrote:
> rosie readandpost wrote:
> > why is that?
> >

> Undrained boiled cabbage with cream cheese? Just doesn't sound quite
> "right" to me.
>
> Jill

It's 6 cups of shredded cabbage cooked briefly in ½ cup of water,
which is then retained to lighten up the cream cheese. I think I'll
try it, too. Probably will add some crushed coriander seeds, just 'cuz
I like that flavor with cabbage....

-aem

Dog3 wrote:

>>Quick Creamy Cabbage
>>
>>6 cups shredded cabbage
>>1/2 teaspoon salt
>>1/2 cup water
>>1 3 ounce package cream cheese, cut into pieces
>>1/2 teaspoon celery seed
>>A dash of pepper
>>
>>Cook cabbage in salted water for about 5 minutes in a covered pan. Do not
>>drain. Add remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese melts. Serves
>>four.

> Gawd, for us cabbage fanatics this is ambrosia. Thanks Carol. I've saved
> this on ;)
>
> Michael

As a child, a neighbor would make creamed cabbage
with curry powder in it. No cheese that I recall?
But I fondly recall that cabbage and wish I knew
how she prepared it?
Goomba

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:00:31 GMT, Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>>This was posted to rec.food.recipes by Maureen:
>>>
>>>Quick Creamy Cabbage

>> No offense to Maureen intended but it sounds disgusting.

>How could anything with cream cheese be disgusting?

Exactly!

Carol

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:41:35 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Undrained boiled cabbage with cream cheese? Just doesn't sound quite
>"right" to me.

Unless it's thinned with something, the cream cheese would just be gloppy.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:41:35 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Undrained boiled cabbage with cream cheese? Just doesn't sound quite
>> "right" to me.

> Unless it's thinned with something, the cream cheese would just be
> gloppy.
>
> Carol

Well, I love cabbage and I love cream cheese so maybe I'll give it a try.
But I'd drain *some* of the water off; it takes a lot of water to boil a big
ol' head of cabbage! (I usually steam mine unless I'm doing corned beef and
cabbage or your fried cabbage.)

Jill

On 5 Feb 2005 12:47:58 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's 6 cups of shredded cabbage cooked briefly in ½ cup of water,
>which is then retained to lighten up the cream cheese. I think I'll
>try it, too. Probably will add some crushed coriander seeds, just 'cuz
>I like that flavor with cabbage....

Ooooooooooh! That sounds fantastic! I'll try that on my second batch. I
usually try new recipes in their "virgin" state.

Carol

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:53:21 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

>As a child, a neighbor would make creamed cabbage
>with curry powder in it. No cheese that I recall?
>But I fondly recall that cabbage and wish I knew
>how she prepared it?

Curry powder. Mmmmmm. You people are gonna have me tooting like an old
jalopy!

Carol

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:19:40 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Well, I love cabbage and I love cream cheese so maybe I'll give it a try.
>But I'd drain *some* of the water off; it takes a lot of water to boil a big
>ol' head of cabbage! (I usually steam mine unless I'm doing corned beef and
>cabbage or your fried cabbage.)

Only 1/2 cup is called for in the recipe. The cabbage will barely be damp.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:53:21 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>As a child, a neighbor would make creamed cabbage
>>with curry powder in it. No cheese that I recall?
>>But I fondly recall that cabbage and wish I knew
>>how she prepared it?

> Curry powder. Mmmmmm. You people are gonna have me tooting like an old
> jalopy!
>
> Carol

TMI!! TMI!!! LOL
Goomba (who does have a name...and Sheldon's even
seen my ugly mug!!)

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:44:24 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:53:21 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Curry powder. Mmmmmm. You people are gonna have me tooting like an old
>> jalopy!

>TMI!! TMI!!! LOL

Sorry. I know you nurses are sensitive to bodily functions. ;)

>Goomba (who does have a name...and Sheldon's even
>seen my ugly mug!!)

My mailbox awaits both.

Carol

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:39:30 GMT, Dog3 <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I think it sounds good. I'm always browsing for cabbage recipes. I'll give
> this one a try and report back.

Can we have an ETA on that? I'm curious - but no rush, just
hike you behind over to the store and get the ingredients!

:)

sf