Can I raise my hematocrit?

I had a blood test done recently -- mainly for nutritional
recommendations -- and it was suggested that I get my hematocrit up a
bit. The main recommendation was to take a B-complex. After about a
month, however, my HCT DROPPED by 10 percentage points!! I realize it
can take a while for it to get back up, but it shouldn't drop like
that, should it? (I was also told to take l-lysine, acidophiles, fatty
acids, and increase my protein intake. Could any of these have
affected the HCT?) Any suggestions? I've read that blackstrap mollasus
and raw liver extract may help. Is that so? (I feel OK, though I seem
to have a bit more soreness and twitches after working out.)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I had a blood test done recently -- mainly for nutritional
> recommendations -- and it was suggested that I get my hematocrit up a
> bit. The main recommendation was to take a B-complex. After about a
> month, however, my HCT DROPPED by 10 percentage points!! I realize it

Nothing should drop your HCT by 10% unless something is definitely wrong and
nutrition will not correct the cause by itself.
You need to get a diagnosis on the type of anemia that you have and it
probably is not diet related.

> can take a while for it to get back up, but it shouldn't drop like
> that, should it? (I was also told to take l-lysine, acidophiles, fatty
> acids, and increase my protein intake. Could any of these have
> affected the HCT?) Any suggestions? I've read that blackstrap mollasus
> and raw liver extract may help. Is that so? (I feel OK, though I seem
> to have a bit more soreness and twitches after working out.)

Smokers have a high (too high) Hematocrit, that is blood density. I wonder if
some supplements you are taking are acting as blood thinners: Fish oil
capsules, garlic, bilberry, other?

"DaltonUte" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Smokers have a high (too high) Hematocrit, that is blood density. I wonder

if
> some supplements you are taking are acting as blood thinners: Fish oil
> capsules, garlic, bilberry, other?

Blood thinners do not effect the HCT. That is a misnomer. They interfere
with coagulation of blood.
Anemia is a symptom and not a diagnosis on it's own.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaltonUte .

I wonder if some supplements you are taking are acting as blood thinners: Fish oil
capsules, garlic, bilberry, other?
I was searching the archives and came across this thread. Can I infer that, from the above, stopping (or reducing) fish oil usage could raise my hematocrit level?

I currently take CoQ10 (300 mg/d), Lipitor (10 mg/d), D3 (2000 mg/d), fish oil (1200 mg/d), and a multi. I stopped the fish oil per my surgeon's directive (had surgery recently and they wanted me to stop all blood thinners before surgery).

dkrenik said:
I was searching the archives and came across this thread.  Can I infer that, from the above, stopping (or reducing) fish oil usage could raise my hematocrit level? I currently take CoQ10 (300 mg/d), Lipitor (10 mg/d), D3 (2000 mg/d), fish oil (1200 mg/d), and a multi.  I stopped the fish oil per my surgeon's directive (had surgery recently and they wanted me to stop all blood thinners before surgery).
Blood thinners should not change your hematocrit. They don't actually thin your blood but rather work to inhibit reactions in the body that cause clotting or to prevent platelets from agglutinating. They don't change the volume of intravascular fluid.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

Blood thinners should not change your hematocrit. They don't actually thin your blood but rather work to inhibit reactions in the body that cause clotting or to prevent platelets from agglutinating. They don't change the volume of intravascular fluid.

So in other words a waste of time taking
wink.png