Coconut-Lime Buttermilk Pie

Goomba38

Guest
Tonight for supper I made a (sadly forgettable)
Jamaican Jerk Pork tenderloin, some lovely rice
with bright green peas in it, grilled fresh
pineapple and a huge salad.
For dessert I tried a new recipe I'd received in a
sample magazine called "Cuisine at Home". I didn't
subscribe to the magazine but the pie is a KEEPER!!
Just the perfect thing to keep on file for using
up a little extra buttermilk-
Goomba

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime Coconut Buttermilk Pie

Recipe By : Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Desserts
Pies & Pastry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation
Method
-------- ------------
--------------------------------
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
minced zest and juice of
1 lime
pinch salt
unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Whisk all ingredients together till blended
Pour into pie shell and bake until filling just
set, yet still a bit jiggly, aprox 40-50 min.
Remove from oven and cool to room temp. Chill if
not served right away.
Let sit at room temp for 15 min before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - -

Goomba wrote:

> Tonight for supper I made a (sadly forgettable) Jamaican Jerk Pork
> tenderloin, some lovely rice with bright green peas in it, grilled fresh
> pineapple and a huge salad.
> For dessert I tried a new recipe I'd received in a sample magazine called
> "Cuisine at Home". I didn't subscribe to the magazine but the pie is a
> KEEPER!!
> Just the perfect thing to keep on file for using up a little extra
> buttermilk-

<snip recipe>

Thanks! I've saved the recipe too. The whole meal sounds good to me; where
did the tenderloin go wrong?

Bob

Bob wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>

>>Tonight for supper I made a (sadly forgettable) Jamaican Jerk Pork
>>tenderloin, some lovely rice with bright green peas in it, grilled fresh
>>pineapple and a huge salad.
>>For dessert I tried a new recipe I'd received in a sample magazine called
>>"Cuisine at Home". I didn't subscribe to the magazine but the pie is a
>>KEEPER!!
>>Just the perfect thing to keep on file for using up a little extra
>>buttermilk-

> <snip recipe>
>
> Thanks! I've saved the recipe too. The whole meal sounds good to me; where
> did the tenderloin go wrong?
>
> Bob

I dunno? Tenderloins were rubbed with a paste made
from 2 fresh jalapenos, bay leaves, allspice, 3
cloves garlic.. some other stuff I've already
forgotten and allowed to sit for 6 hours in the
fridge. The recipe came from Good Housekeeping, so
it probably was a tad anemic to start with? I
thought it should have had more kick or zing?
Perhaps some cloves or nutmeg? Some lime juice or
something? It was ok, as tenderloins are so nice
anyway, but I was expecting something
more...picant! I'll find another recipe and try again.
Goomba

Bob wrote:

> 2. Most of the Jerk Pork recipes I see are for pork chops, which have a much
> larger surface-area-to-size ratio than a tenderloin. Since the jerk
> seasoning is mainly on the outside of the meat, you'll naturally have less
> seasoning per serving if you make it using a tenderloin.
>
> 3. A typical marinade for the jerk seasoning will contain:
>
> cilantro
> scallions
> garlic cloves
> chopped ginger
> dried orange peel
> cinnamon
> ground fennel seed
> ground allspice
> habañero chiles
> brown sugar
> lime juice
>
> The habañeros are ESSENTIAL to the taste of jerk seasoning; it's one of the
> defining flavors. Jalapeños don't have the same flowery taste at all.
>
> Bob

Yes!! Those are some of the flavors I was
imagining being in Jerk Seasoning. The tenderloin
was tender (lol) and not too dry, but just not
particularly "jerked", I thought. I'm going to try
again though... :)
Goomba

could you please repost the recipe? I am unable to find it by searching (get
buttermilk and coconut pie no combo) and it does sound yummy.
Thanks,
JM

On Tue 08 Feb 2005 08:07:22a, MurphAssoc wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> could you please repost the recipe? I am unable to find it by searching
> (get buttermilk and coconut pie no combo) and it does sound yummy.
> Thanks,
> JM

It's very easy to find using Google. Use advanced search and use all the
words "coconut lime buttermilk pie" (but not in quotes). Also include the
specific newsgroup "rec.food.cooking". The recipe appears in the first post
listed.

Google is your friend. Learn to use it.

Wayne

: could you please repost the recipe? I am unable to find it by searching (get
: buttermilk and coconut pie no combo) and it does sound yummy.
: Thanks,
: JM

Jerk Chicken from _A_Taste_Of_The_Tropics_ by Jay Solomon

6 to 8 green onions, diced
1 medium-sized onion, diced
2 to 4 scotch bonnet peppers or jalapeno peppers,
seeded and minced
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon whole cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast,
cut into strips

Place all ingredients except chicken in a food processor fitted
with a metal blade. Process for 10 to 15 seconds at high speed.
Place the chicken in a bowl and pour the marinade over it.
Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat grill until coals are gray to white.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain off any excess
liquid. Place on the oiled grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes
on each side, or until the chicken is white in the center.
Serve the chicken with fried plantains, pumpkin rice with kale,
and steamed okra.

Alt:
Jerk chicken can also be baked in the oven. Pour the jerk marinade
over chicken pieces (4 drum, 4 thigh) and refrigerate for 4 to 6
hours, turning after 3 hours. Remove the chicken pieces and place
on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until
meat pulls easily away from the bone. Bake 30 to 40 minutes if
using chicken breast strips.

From: [email protected] (Joanne Spetz)
Subject: Jerk Chicken
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 93 14:02:49 EDT

I have no idea where this recipe came from. Probably the net or
the San Jose Mercury News.

Jerked Chicken

4 tsp allspice
6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp fresh ginger
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp jalapeno, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup green onions, sliced
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice

Mix all ingredients. Marinade chicken (about 4 pieces) for 2 hours.
Grill or broil, basting frequently.
------------------
Jerked Pork Chops

1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp thyme
1.5 tsp cayenne
1.5 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp sage
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sugar

Mix these together. Add:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 scotch bonnet pepper, minced (serrano or jalapeno ok)
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped

Marinade meat at least one hour. Grill or broil.

*even though this recipe is designed for pork, it would probably
be good on chicken.
--
Joanne Spetz Department of Economics
[email protected] Stanford University

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Scott Hansohn) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get a recipe for Jerk Chicken?

Yes.

1) Buy a book called "Jerk - Barbecue from Jamacia", Helen Willinsky, The
Crossing Press, Freedom, CA 95019.
....or...
2) Read rest of this message

Jerk Chicken
============
1/2 cup Jerk Rub
1 Chicken

Rub jerk on Chicken. Cook. Eat.
Have plenty of cold beer handy, preferably Red Stripe.

Now the trick is obviously in the jerk rub. You can make your own or buy a
jar. Jerk is available in Caribean stores. Watch out, there is some phony stuff
appearing in supermarkets which is nothing like real Jerk Seasoning. In the
back of the above mentioned book there is a list of stores all over the US, if
you tell me where you live I can find one for you.

To make your own jerk rub:

Jerk Rub
========
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice (BTW, In Jamaica, allspice is called "pimento")
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinammon
4 to 6 hot peppers, finely ground (Habernero ideal, otherwise Jalepeno)
1 tsp black pepper

Mix together to make a paste (food processor ideal).
Smear all over chicken pork fish whatever. Let sit for a while.
Keep leftover rub in a jar in the frig.

Charlie Byrne * University of Miami * Div of Marine Biology and Fisheries
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33149 * Voice: (305) 361-4705
Usual disclamers apply.

On 31 Oct 93 at 21:33, [email protected] (Linda) said this about that:
>I had a delicious jerked chicken at at restaurant in Panama City Beach
>last week and it included jerked chicken tenderloins --anyone have a
>recipe for jerked chicken?

Jerked meat is one of the Caribbean's most famous spicy dishes. There are
a few tendencies which give Jamaican food its characteristic flavor, but
one of the main things is the preponderance of the allspice berry among
the spices used as a paste-type marinade.

-Begin Recipe Export- QBook version 1.00.10 Beta

Title: Jamaican Jerked Chicken

6 loin pork chops
3 chicken breasts, split
6 chicken legs (2 oz)
whole allspice berries
1/4 ts fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 ts ground cinnamon
8 scallions, chopped
1 lg clove garlic, chopped
1 ts hot pepper, chopped
3 T red-wine vinegar
1/4 c peanut or vegetable oil
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts fresh ground pepper
2 bay leaves, crumbled
Pickapeppa sauce (see note)

Cut away rind and most fat from pork; remove all meat from bones, cut
into pieces about 1-1/2" thick and 3" to 4" long. Put pork pieces and
chicken in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed. To prepare
seasoning, heat the allspice berries over medium heat in small saucepan
3 to 4 min, stirring often; 2 tbs at a time, crush berries in mortar and
pestle. In medium bowl, combine berries, nutmeg, cinnamon, scallions,
garlic, pepper and 1 tbs vinegar; crush into pasty mixture. Add rest of
vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Turn mixture over pork and
chicken and rub meat with seasoning, coating evenly. Cover and refrig-
erate 2 hours or overnight. Cook jerked pork and chicken on grill over
hot coals or on gas barbecue as far from heat as possible (6" or more);
cover with lid; turn meat every 10 minutes for about 1 hour, until done.
If desired, halfway through cooking time toss 1 tsp whole allspice
berries into fire. Cut cooked pork into 1/3" slices and serve with
chicken. Accompany with Pickapeppa sauce. Serves 6 to 8.

(Note: Can also be cooked in preheated 350 F oven on rack in roasting
pan about 1 hour, turning once, but you won't have the grill flavor.

(Pickapeppa sauce is a bottled Jamaican condiment available in better
supermarkets and gourmet stores.)
-End Recipe Export-

From: [email protected]
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: RECIPE: Race Day Ribs
Date: 27 May 93 22:39:51 -0500

This is a recipe for Jamaican Jerk ribs that I've been making for a
few years. Traditionally I do this up on the Sunday before Memorial
day (500 Mile Race Day here in Indy), 4th of July, Labor Day, and also
sometimes on a portable gas grill at baseball game tailgate parties.

Purists be forewarned: this is a marinate/parboil/quick-grill recipe.
If you don't like that, please hit "n" now. The idea is to minimize
the amount of work that has to be done at the cooking site in order to
serve a lot of tasty ribs to a large number of people fairly quickly.

One batch of this recipe is enough to marinate 10 to 12 pounds of ribs.
The last time I did these for a race day party I did two batches each of
six slabs of baby-backs (about 2 lbs. per slab). I marinate and parboil
each batch in its own covered 8 quart enameled steel roasting pot. For
baby-backs I allow about 1 lb. (half of a full slab) per person. Your
experience may vary. I have noticed that baby-backs from the grocery
store tend to weigh less per slab and have a lot more fat on them than
the ones I get from my butcher. Some leanness is desirable, since this
cooking method will get the ribs literally falling-off-the-bone done.

JAH's "500 Mile Race Day" Jamaican Jerk Baby-Back Ribs

Marinade Ingredients (enough for 10 to 12 lbs. of baby-back ribs):

1 large onion, chopped (or 3 medium onions - about 2 cups)
6 shallots, chopped (or another medium onion)
6 scallions (green onions), chopped
6 cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped
5 TBS fresh ginger root, grated or chopped
4 TBS freshly ground whole Jamaican allspice
1.5 tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 or 3 habenero peppers <= (or substitute 3 to 5 TBS caliente sauce
4 or 5 chiles pequin <= (minced jalapeno) for all dried peppers)
2 TBS peanut oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 pint lime juice (I like Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice)

For parboiling:

2 12 oz. bottles of beer

For grilling:

Your "tools of the trade" (tongs, meat fork, basting brush)
Your favorite BBQ sauce (optional, or use marinade)
More beer

Ranges and substitution recommendations within parentheses represent
variations I have tried before. I'm not real picky about measurements
when I make this, and I substitute according to what I have at hand.
If you like it hot, use the larger quantities of the dried peppers.
If you don't, use the lesser amount of caliente. If you can't get shallots
or scallions, use more onion. There really isn't any acceptable substitute
for allspice and fresh grated ginger root.

Preparation:

Please be careful when handling hot peppers. You may wish to use latex
kitchen gloves. You should not touch your eyes or any sensitive area after
handling hot peppers without very thoroughly washing your hands first.
Believe me, I learned this the hard way!

To prepare the dried peppers, boil 2 cups of water. Turn off heat and
steep the peppers 10 minutes in the hot water. Stem, seed, and chop the
peppers finely.

Unwrap the ribs and use a heavy kitchen knife or cleaver to chop each slab
in half about in the middle (6-7 ribs down). Or if you like, you can have
your butcher do this for you.

Put all marinade ingredients except beer in food processor or blender and
blend or process until thoroughly mixed and chopped. It doesn't have to be
pureed -- I prefer it a bit on the chunky side. Place a layer half-slabs
into the pot. Pour on some marinade, then poke with a fork, turn, and rub
the marinade well into the meat. If you made it hot hot, wear the gloves,
watch the eyes, etc. Repeat layers for the remaining meat and marinade.
Pour any remaining marinade over the top. Cover and marinate either four
hours at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator.

In the morning, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Pour the beers slowly
down the side of the pot. Cover and cook 2 hours. Baste occasionally
to keep ribs on top moist. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about
a half an hour. For transport to the grilling site, either remove slabs
from the pot or put each pot in a plastic garbage bag to prevent grease and
marinade from sloshing out. To finish, grill about five minutes per side
or more over low heat, basting with your favorite BBQ sauce or the marinade.

Now pour yourself a beer, chomp into a slab, and raise a toast to the pig...

Background:

This recipe was born when I tired of using bottled Jerk marinades,
which were becoming a significant expense for the quantities I was
getting involved with as well. So I decided to try out the Frug's
Jamaican Jerk Pork marinade recipe. After a summer of experimentation
it had evolved into this. I do not claim this is authentic Jamaican.
I've had many people tell me that it is quite good and I get lots of
requests for the recipe.
--
James Harvey IUPUI OIT Technical Support -- VMS/Unix/Networks
[email protected] uucp:iugate!harvey bitnet:harvey@indyvax

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>: could you please repost the recipe? I am unable to find it by searching
>(get
> : buttermilk and coconut pie no combo) and it does sound yummy.
> : Thanks,
> : JM

Here you go, JM.

Dora

Lime Coconut Buttermilk Pie

Recipe By :posted by Goomba38, 2/5/05

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
minced zest and juice of
1 lime
1 pinch salt
unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk all ingredients together till blended
Pour into pie shell and bake until filling just
set, yet still a bit jiggly, aprox 40-50 min.
Remove from oven and cool to room temp. Chill if
not served right away.
Let sit at room temp for 15 min before serving.

Source:
""Cuisine At Home""