Anyone using Large Marge Wheel Yet?

beelzebub of balance

Guest
I see Surly how has their Large Marge in a 24 inch size. Is anyone using
it?

David

--
beelzebub of balance - Junior Member of the Universe

"When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried
before." Mae West

David Maxfield
Mitchell, SD
beelzebub of balance's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1631

Oooo, ooo, oooo! I was waiting for this day (whenever "this day" was)
so now maybe I'll buy one for my beast of a new muni. Who was it that
tried out the 26" Large Marge?

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
http://www.unicycles.com.au
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

Max Dingemans and George Barnes both have unicycles with 26" Large Marge
rims. I'm keen to try the 24" version, but they aren't available in NZ
yet. :( You'll need a custom frame or at least a very wide frame to fit
a Gazz on these rims. George said to me that the with is more like 3
1/4" for a 3" Gazz tyre.

--
TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

Read the latest online issue of
''One Track Mind'' (http://tinyurl.com/6mm9r), Unicycle.com NZ's
eNewsletter!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Mojoe has a 'demo' 26 x 3 marge for awhile now ...

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com

--
DigitalDave - Ðîgï†å||¥ ËñhÂÑ€èÐ

'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
(http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
'20,124 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8399731)

my will to live was stronger than my will to die. - iggy pop
that which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - friedrich nietzsche

DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

Gary of www.unicycles.com.au is getting a quote for me on one of the 24"
Large Marge's on monday! Yippee!. :D

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
http://www.unicycles.com.au
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

That's awesome!!!!!

Here's my page about my 26 inch LM;
http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/largemarge.html

Here's George's page with a really good review of the rim with more
pictures. The Large Marge is so cool, that George brought it to his
wedding. :)
http://www.gb4mfg.com/temp/lm_test/

Mine's a factory sample, so that's why it's not black. The rest are
black. A 24 inch would be a good size for muni. I can't believe Surly
got them made this fast. (Thanks Dave!)

With a Gazzaloddi, you will need a wide frame and if you run brakes, the
mounts will have to set out wider than normal.

Large Marge is the bombdiggity.....yo...

over-n-out......Mojoe

--
Mojoe - Move to Iceland

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

My Dad used to beat me with his PC.
http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=55
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

> *
>
> With a Gazzaloddi, you will need a wide frame and if you run brakes,
> the mounts will have to set out wider than normal.
> *

If you don't run a brake, can you use a YUni frame?

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

daino149 wrote:
> *If you don't run a brake, can you use a YUni frame? *

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can with a 3 inch tire. Max
uses a Bedford frame and I think the he has a 2.7 tire. George made an
extra-wide frame for the wheel when he used it last summer, then he sold
me the frame.

Surly is working on a 4 inch wide tire, so I'll have to get a wider
frame to fit that some time.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - Move to Iceland

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

My Dad used to beat me with his PC.
http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=55
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

I've measured my KH24 frame, and it seems like it would fit a 65mm
hub.
But, I'd rather build a new unicycle, does anyone know if the new KH2005
MUni frames fit a 65mm rim?

My planned Large Marge setup: KH/Onza hub and crankset, KH 24" frame,
Large Marge rim, KH Fusion seat. Any constructive suggestions?
I've never built a wheel before. I have found some tutorials online,
anything I should keep in mind?

--
shapr - 40 miles south of the Arctic Circle

Add your knowledge to the 'Unicyclopedia'
(http://www.unicyclopedia.org/) Brittanica ! Even if you're not British!
shapr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7727

tomsey wrote:
> *and is it stronger than a doublewide sun? *

Highly doubtful. The sun doublewide is basically a motorcycle rim, but
built to fit a bike tire. It's about as strong as things get.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
Technique

> * does anyone know if the new KH2005 MUni frames fit a 65mm rim?
> *

Even if the rim will fit in the frame, your tire sidewall may rub the
Magura brake bosses. That was the case with my GB4 26 inch frame with
Magura bosses. I removed the brakes and thought I could run my Large
Marge/Gazzaloddi wheel in it, but the sidewalls were jammed against the
brake boss on each side. The Large Marge rim really pushes the sidewalls
out wider than the tread.

Look at this picture of the Marge in my GB4 Large Marge frame
(aka...."Gazzilla").....

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/images/marge3big.jpg

Plenty of clearance for the tread, but less for the sidewalls.

More pics here:
http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/largemarge.html

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - Move to Iceland

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

My Dad used to beat me with his PC.
http://ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=55
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Joe,

What's it like trueing such a wide wheel? I noticed in those photos
that the holes are very staggered.

Andrew

--

tomsey wrote:
> *is it stronger than a doublewide sun? *

I wouldn't be suprised if it is a lot stronger. the problem with
doublewides, is that the spoke offset is not as big as it should be for
as wide a rim. I've had a couple people tell me that they had kinked
doublewide rims inward (sidewall of the rim bent down towards the hub).

--
onetrack - plays in the street

Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a
roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? -Rex kwon
doe
onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

I doubt it is a stronger rim. Looking at the cross sections, I would say
it isn't even close. Doublewides were made to be strong at all costs,
this thing was just made to be wide.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
Mental