penny
post #17 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

On 2004-08-04, Sunastar penned:

> Un urm ill orl!

wtf does that mean?

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
post #18 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

On 2004-08-04, S o r n i penned:
> scurry wrote:
>> S o r n i wrote:
>>
>>> Abdominal internally. Hands and arms externally.
>>>
>>> Bill "HTH" S.
>>>

>> Bill are you getting tutored in posting style by Crazy?

> Jeez, between you and Monique, EVERYBODY'S PICKING ON ME!
>
> Bill "where's Lucy with the football?" S.

We pick because we love. Much like scabs. *g*

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
post #19 of 56

In rec.bicycles.misc S o r n i <sorni@bite-me.san.rr.com> wrote:
> Jeez, between you and Monique, EVERYBODY'S PICKING ON ME!

i've been consciously holding back, fwiw. i'll be back when there's a
lull.
--
david reuteler
reuteler@visi.com

JohnB wrote:
> pas wrote:
>>
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/misc/babyseat.jpg
>>
>> here's how they do it in some countries. We built one like this
>> ourselves for around town, it's actually much more stable than over
>> the back wheel as the CG doesn't change a whole lot and the kid is
>> inside your arms.

> I've never liked this kind of arrangement as it places the child at
> some risk in the case of an emergency or sudden stop. At least the
> example you show has a rigid back that should help prevent the adult
> crushing into the child. the worst are those clamp on saddles that go
> on the top tube with two foot supports attached to the down tube.
> However I don't like the idea of the child being flung forward onto
> the handlebar clutter or worse, which even with strapping is possible
> with some arrangements. At least if they are on the back they have a
> soft back to knock into.
>
> John B

trust me, it's much more stable than the baby on the back of the bike.
After all, three million third world cyclists building them at home can't be
wrong!! The one we built had a little seat on the top tube, foot rest and
no back the kid just held onto the handlebars. I don't know about trails but
it was great for the bike path

The rear tyre thing is just - bad. You have to remember to compensate for
the weight of the kid everytime you stop. The kids' weight, and you could be
riding with an extra 30# back there, will really throw you off even if you
have to swerve. If you are really worried about "risk of emergency stop"
or a kid being flung around, perhaps you should not take your baby out at
all... there's going to be risk no matter what.

penny
post #21 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

Child trailer.

I MTB 2004
post #22 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

Trailer for child or shopping.

I MTB 2004
post #23 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

Trailer for child or shopping.

I MTB 2004
post #24 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

Monique sez:

>> Un urm ill orl!

>wtf does that mean?

In the movie 'Dreamcatcher', the character Duddits says "Un urm ill orl"
which his friend understands to mean, "One work can kill the world". In
the gag reel there's a bit where Duddits breaks from character (barely
able to move or speak clearly) in a normal voice says something like,
"Dude! I said, 'Un urm ill orl! What don't you get?'". It was funny, but
only after you sat through an otherwise crappy movie.

With that said, I'm not sure why that line has continued to stick in my
head. I wish that and the Oompa Loompa song would just stop for a minute!

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO

Re: Child carrying advice please

Monique sez:

>> Un urm ill orl!

>wtf does that mean?

In the movie 'Dreamcatcher', the character Duddits says "Un urm ill orl"
which his friend understands to mean, "One work can kill the world". In
the gag reel there's a bit where Duddits breaks from character (barely
able to move or speak clearly) in a normal voice says something like,
"Dude! I said, 'Un urm ill orl! What don't you get?'". It was funny, but
only after you sat through an otherwise crappy movie.

With that said, I'm not sure why that line has continued to stick in my
head. I wish that and the Oompa Loompa song would just stop for a minute!

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Z to S to email
post #26 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

"JohnB" <nospam@here.com> wrote

> When able to pedal, say about 3 1/2 to 4yrs old I would also recommend
> moving on to a tandem rather than using the pull along trailerbikes.
> This will develop pedalling techniques whereas a trailerbike can have
> the child just sitting there freewheeling.

I have to disagree. I pulled my daughter for over 5 years with a trailer-bike
in every conceivable type of situation, from urban to very rough off-road. The
t-b's have many advantages over tandems, not the least of which is cost. My
daughter did some solo riding during that time, but not much. When she outgrew
the t-b last year she went solo full-time, and her stamina and bike handling
skills are superb.

As for the rear seat vs. trailer question, I think Frank K. got it right, the
seats can work well if the rider is reasonably skilled and there isn't too
large a weight difference. Trailers require a little less skill and don't
extract quite the handling penalty. One thing that bothered me about using the
seat with my son was that he would fall asleep and flop around. I don't expect
it's harmful, but it bothered me to see a toddler's head doing that.
post #27 of 56

crazy6r54@webtv.net wrote:

> Child trailer.

What the pedophiles watch before the movie starts!

Bill "Crazy Word Association" S.
post #28 of 56

S o r n i wrote:
> scurry wrote:
>
>>S o r n i wrote:
>>

>>>Abdominal internally. Hands and arms externally.
>>>
>>>Bill "HTH" S.
>>>

>>Bill are you getting tutored in posting style by Crazy?

> Jeez, between you and Monique, EVERYBODY'S PICKING ON ME!

BUT MO-OM! HE STARTED IT!

;-)

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Sunastar wrote:
> S o r n i sez:
>

>>Jeez, between you and Monique, EVERYBODY'S PICKING ON ME!

> If you can't stand the fire, don't light your own farts! Or, at least,
> do it with your pants on.
>
> Un urm ill orl!

Or as Crazy would say "If you can't stand in the kitchen, don't fart."
post #30 of 56

Re: Child carrying advice please

>we can't decide whether she should go for a seat on the back or a trailer.
>
> Can anyone tell me from experience which is the best/safest way to
> carry my 21 month old daughter. She weichs approx 28 - 30 lbs

With a seat, if rider goes down so does baby,
With a trailer, if rider goes down baby laughs at rider

> We live in a rural location between Brighton and London, therefore
> busy main roads and narrow country lanes.

A trailer with an orange flag and drivers will give you w WIDE berth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mountain Bikes