or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

post #1 of 8
I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
can I find replacements?
post #2 of 8

Re: new noise from new(er) chorus drivetrain

"jim c" <ex99125b@netscape.net> schreef in bericht
> I have a chorus drivetrain on a waterford 1200 frame with MA-2 wheels.
> All with less than 1000 miles on it and has started making a noise which
> has me semi-bafffled. Its a tink-tink-tink noise..now I know what you
> are thinking, but I have removed inspected and retorqued the cranks;
> that was my first guess. I also retorqued the chainrings. Its frequency
> has increased and is more random than 1 or 2 "tinks" per rev. sometimes
> its 1, 2 or even 3, I cant see a pattern to the noise visa-vis wheel
> rot. or pedal rot.
>
> My second guess was spoke noise, because it actually sounds like a cable
> end hitting a spoke, but the noise stops when the pedals stop.
>
> Its not the pedals, I have tried one footing it and the noise remains. I
> have removed and inspected and retorqued the cassette. The only thing
> left is the BB (?) but the noise seems too "bright", or the jockey wheels?
> I have had this noise for about 75 miles and not being able to figure it
> out it killing me. I built the bike myself (but my LBS installed the BB
> and headset) so I know the mechanicals fairly well. Any ideas? My
> obvious next step is to take it in for a look-see, but if this is a
> common thing I *really* would like to diagnose it and repair it.
>
> I am a heavy rider at 210lbs and the roads around here are not exactly
> glass smooth, but the frame is lugged steel and the wheels that I had
> built should be up to the task.
>
> Im stumped
> thanks in advance.
> Jim Champoux

My guess is that the tink-tink-tink noise is coming from the cassette. The
larger sprockets are riveted together and there is some movement in/around
the rivets. Take the cassette apart and drop some oil, or what I use a
little White Lightning, on/between the rivets. Reassemble the cassette and
tighten the lockring well. That did the trick for me.

Lou
post #3 of 8

Re: Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

GThanks, All good choices! Much better than the OEMs!

"DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<ceu31d$94i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> "HKEK" <coolmale@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
> > Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
> > been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
> > odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
> > can I find replacements?

> 37-590 (aka 650 x 35a) is 26" x 1 3/8". See
> http://www.conti-online.com/generato...folder_en.html
> and check out the Coninental Top Touring 2000, CityRide and Touring tyres.
> Also the Schwalbe Marathon (highly recommended), Marathon Plus and Vittoria
> Randonneur. There are probably some others but it's not a common size
> anymore. However, there are stacks of 26x1.25 and 26x1.50 tyres around, so
> it's not like you're locked into just that size.
post #4 of 8

Re: new noise from new(er) chorus drivetrain

Would suspect chainring bolts. Then pedals, make sure there's nothing
floating around. Shake them in your hand. Check that the chain is not
catching front mech. Also if its a new chain, that it isn't sticking as it
feeds onto the top jockey.
TJ
post #5 of 8

coolmale@hotmail.com (HKEK) wrote in message news:<16063ad.0408051948.5929a893@posting.google.com>...
> GThanks, All good choices! Much better than the OEMs!
>
> "DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<ceu31d$94i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

> > 37-590 (aka 650 x 35a) is 26" x 1 3/8". See
> > http://www.conti-online.com/generato...folder_en.html
> > and check out the Coninental Top Touring 2000, CityRide and Touring tyres.
> > Also the Schwalbe Marathon (highly recommended), Marathon Plus and Vittoria
> > Randonneur. There are probably some others but it's not a common size
> > anymore. However, there are stacks of 26x1.25 and 26x1.50 tyres around, so
> > it's not like you're locked into just that size.

Well not "all" of them. Those stacks of 26 X 1.25 and 26 X 1.5 tires
won't fit (see Sheldon's article on tire sizing). But the Contis and
Marathons should keep you going for a while.

Peter Storey
post #6 of 8

Re: Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

"DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<ceu31d$94i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
<snip>
> 37-590 (aka 650 x 35a) is 26" x 1 3/8". See
> http://www.conti-online.com/generato...folder_en.html

<snip>
> However, there are stacks of 26x1.25 and 26x1.50 tyres around, so
> it's not like you're locked into just that size.

Wrong! 26 x 1.25" and 26 x 1.50" tires fit a 559mm BSD rim, where the
26 x 1 3/8" EA3 tire fits a 590mm BSD. In other words, the rims are
more than an inch apart in diameter.

An excellent reference is Sheldon's article:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

Jeff
post #7 of 8

Re: Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes?

Over a week ago, on 8/2, I sent an email request for information to
order@harriscyclery.net but received no response.
I then sent a FAX on 8/3 to 617-244-1041, again receiving no response.
In either case, the message was as follows:

I am in need of tires for a 1973 Raleigh 3-speed. The original tires
are marked 26 x 1 3/8. Based on information from Sheldon's web site, I
believe that the ISO size (diameter) is 590mm.

On your web site, you show a Kenda black wall for $14.95. What is the
availability? Are there any other tire options (other than $30
Conti's)?

I need the following:
2 tires (ISO 590)
2 tubes (ISO 590)
2 sets of Kool Stop Salmon Continental Brake Pads

What will these items cost?
What is the cost of shipping to Windsor, CT, 06095?
When can you ship?

Thanks!

Sheldon Brown <captbike@sheldonbrown.com> wrote in message news:<41129D1E.1010104@sheldonbrown.com>...
> HKEK wrote:
>
> > I volunteered to fix a neighbor's bike. It is a 1973 Raleigh with a
> > Sturmey-Archer internal 3-speed rear hub. Unfortunately, I have not
> > been able to find replacement tires and tubes because the size is so
> > odd. Short of switching to "flat-free" tires (greentyre.com), where
> > can I find replacements?

> We've got 'em. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/590
>
> We specialize in old English bikes, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/english
>
> Sheldon "Nottingham" Brown
> +--------------------------------------------+
> | We hardly find any persons of good sense |
> | save those who agree with with us. |
> | - Francois, Duc de la Rouchefoucauld |
> +--------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
post #8 of 8

coolmale@hotmail.com (HKEK) wrote in message news:<16063ad.0408090912.51125695@posting.google.com>...
> Over a week ago, on 8/2, I sent an email request for information to
> order@harriscyclery.net but received no response.
> I then sent a FAX on 8/3 to 617-244-1041, again receiving no response.
> In either case, the message was as follows:

Geez - either order or don't. But a better idea is go over to the
neighbor with a six-pack of soda and some munchies and yell ROAD
TRIP!!! ...you're driving. It is a little less than 100 miles from you
and sure to be an interesting visit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment