or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

post #1 of 713
flashgorman wrote:

> > ...so, has anyone got any good suggestions as to how I could make this
> > 5 mile journey to the station?

> Become a train driver.

How would he get to the station to start? He'll probably find the work
too dangerous.

--
Simon

Brighton | MYSOB:http://www.sweller.co.uk/sob/
England | MZSOB:http://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/
post #2 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

"David" <junk1@davidbevan.co.uk> wrote in message

> 3) I could cycle, but again, its dangerous and in the summer I would
> need a shower by the time I got to work!

> 7) I could drive all the way into London - but dont really want to for
> several reasons!

If you are going to get sweaty you may as well get *really* sweaty, so cut
out the train and simply cycle all the way into london! (This assumes that
you don't live somewhere like Plymouth or Newcastle of course)
post #3 of 713

David wrote:

> 3) I could cycle, but again, its dangerous and in the summer I would
> need a shower by the time I got to work!

That would be my choice.

1) It is not dangerous! You are probably more at risk walking on the
pavement.

2) You can avoid sweating easily by not racing. If you are relatively fit a
reasonable speed would not produce any more sweat than a brisk walk, unless
there was a big hill in the way of course.

3) I used to drive to work but found that when I started cycling regularly I
felt less stressed, fitter and generally healthier.
--
Mark
post #4 of 713

David wrote:

> ....so, has anyone got any good suggestions as to how I could make this
> 5 mile journey to the station?
>
> Any ideas much appreciated!

Is it just getting to the station or would it be convenient to have
transport at the London end as well? Also have you looked at parking
options say a mile or two from the station and using a folding bike like
the Brompton to do the last leg?

If its only to the station and bike parking is reasonably secure, either
cycle slowly - 5 miles is not a great distance and you will quickly
adapt to it - or get yourself a Giant Lafree electric bicycle which is
road legal and will get you there and back easily between charges.

If it would be useful to have transport in London or the cycle parking
is not secure, then you need a Brompton folding bike to take on the
train with you - takes about 10-15 seconds to fold once you are familiar
with it. If you still want the electric option, Kinetics in Glasgow do
an electric conversion to the Brompton that would get you to the station
and back plus around London - http://www.kinetics.org.uk/.

Certainly all these options will be a lot cheaper than a year'd driving
and parking fees. There is a useful guide to folding and electric bikes
plus trains at http://www.atob.org.uk/

Tony
post #5 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:45:32 +0000 (UTC), "Mark"
<the_mark@hotmail.com> wrote:

>David wrote:
>>
>> 3) I could cycle, but again, its dangerous and in the summer I would
>> need a shower by the time I got to work!
>>

>That would be my choice.
>
>1) It is not dangerous! You are probably more at risk walking on the
>pavement.

The transport safety stats for the UK show that, mile for mile,
walking is more dangerous than cycling. So he's far safer on a bike.

>2) You can avoid sweating easily by not racing. If you are relatively fit a
>reasonable speed would not produce any more sweat than a brisk walk, unless
>there was a big hill in the way of course.

Look at it this way; 5 miles will take less than half an hour at even
the absolute slowest of cycling speeds; 25 minutes, say. If you walked
gently for 25 minutes would you stink and need a shower[1]? Cycling
gently is no more taxing to the metabolism.

[1] NB. if the answer to this is "yes" then you *really* do need to
get out of that car.

>3) I used to drive to work but found that when I started cycling regularly I
>felt less stressed, fitter and generally healthier.
post #6 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

in message <fb5d3f6d.0408111215.4242cdb2@posting.google.com>, David
('junk1@davidbevan.co.uk') wrote:

> I live about 5 miles from a train station where I catch my train to
> work each day. I used to drive my car to the station and park it in
> the car park, but now I often find that the car park is full (even
> very early) and the surrounding areas have parking restrictions.
>
> I would just like peoples ideas of how I could get to the station...
>
> 3) I could cycle, but again, its dangerous and in the summer I would
> need a shower by the time I got to work!

Cycling is not dangerous. On the contrary, people who cycle, according
to the BMA, live longer than people who don't, so not cycling is more
dangerous than cycling.

I used to commute 21 miles each way by bicycle, and didn't need a shower
when I got to work (although I did keep sufficient clean clothes at
work to change every day). Of course, that meant driving in at least
once a week to take the clean clothes for the next week, but that can
be worked around. Cycling isn't a sweaty activity unless you're trying
to go fast; at a reasonable ten or twelve miles per hour, you should
not sweat any more than you would when walking.

My suggestion: hire a Brompton (folding bike) for a week[1]. Take it
with you on the train. If at the end of that time you don't love it,
don't buy one. If, on the other hand, you do love it, do buy one; live
long (because cycling is good for you) and prosper (because cycling is
cheap).

[1] People in London, surely there's somewhere you can hire Bromptons
from?

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards
post #7 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

David <junk1@davidbevan.co.uk> wrote:

> 2) I could go by moped, but apart from being dangerous there is still
> no where to park it.

You can park a scooter in corners that car driver wouldn't see.

If you're concenred about safety but like the idea of a scooter get a
BMW C1.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

Colin McKenzie wrote
>AndrewR wrote:
>> "David" <junk1@davidbevan.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I live about 5 miles from a train station where I catch my train to
>>>work each day. I used to drive my car to the station and park it in
>>>the car park, but now I often find that the car park is full (even
>>>very early) and the surrounding areas have parking restrictions.

>> Buy a motorbike and ride into London.
>> Riding in London rocks, and if you rush out and buy a brand new ZX-10R then,
>> after a short time you will either:
>> 1. Be a riding god, allowing you to quit your job and take up full-time
>> professional racing.
>> 2. Be addicted to riding and wonder how you ever put up with a train or
>> car.
>> 3. Be able to drive to the train station and use their disabled parking
>> facilities.
>> 4. Never have to go anywhere ever again.

>...except in a box?
>
>If you think cycling is dangerous, you really shouldn't be
>contemplating motorcycling. Look at the risk per mile figures and make
>up your own mind.

Risk per ******* mile!! ROFL. If non tax paying opted out brigade
actually did any miles that might be a statistic worth bothering about
but it ain't. How about risk per minute of journey instead?

> maximise enjoyment by getting

a gixxer thou

--
steve auvache
post #9 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

David wrote
>I live about 5 miles from a train station where I catch my train to
>work each day. I used to drive my car to the station and park it in
>the car park, but now I often find that the car park is full (even
>very early) and the surrounding areas have parking restrictions.
>
>I would just like peoples ideas of how I could get to the station...

One of them little 50cc scoots. Ideal for banging up and down to the
station they are.

--
steve auvache
post #10 of 713

AndrewR <andrew@rockface.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> > If you're concenred about safety but like the idea of a scooter get a
> > BMW C1.

> And if you're concerned about looking like a twat, but like the idea of a
> BMW C1, then get a scooter.

If what other people might think is what bothers you most, you'd best
play safe and not do anything that could be considered out of the
ordinary. People might even stare otherwise, and that would be awful.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140
post #11 of 713

Nigel Eaton wrote:

> Damned right. You're highly likely to be hit by some loonie on a bicycle
> for a start.

Nice try

Pedestrians killed on pavements by cyclists - about one every two years
Pedestrians killed on pavements by motor vehicles - about 50 a year
Pedestrians killed by falling over on pavements - about 100 a year
Pedestrians killed by motor vehicles - about 800 a year

Tony
post #12 of 713

Re: Best way to travel 5 miles to a train station?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:52:02 +0100, Nigel Eaton
<nigele@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote (more or less):

>Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Mark
><the_mark@hotmail.com> typed
>>David wrote:
>>>
>>> 3) I could cycle, but again, its dangerous and in the summer I would
>>> need a shower by the time I got to work!
>>>

>>That would be my choice.
>>
>>1) It is not dangerous! You are probably more at risk walking on the
>>pavement.

>Damned right. You're highly likely to be hit by some loonie on a bicycle
>for a start.

While walking on the pavement, you're something like 300 times more
likely to be hit by a car than to be hit by a bicycle. (in the UK).

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:44:21 +0100, Champ wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:10:17 +0100, "AndrewR"
> <andrew@rockface.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>"Champ" <ukrm@champ.org.uk> wrote in message

>>> Moped's aren't inherently dangerous.

>>No, but they are **** and, if you're over 18, people will point and laugh.

> Ah, well, I'm in something of a minority in ukrm here, I know. See,
> cos I've visited Italy a bit, I've seen that scooters can be quite
> cool. I dunno why the british can't carry it off, really.

Same in Greece, I spent a summer working there commuting about 10 miles
every day down from the mountains (and back up at 3AM). Everybody uses
scooters in the med. Probably as they are just jump on and ride - noone
wears a helmet, they're treated more as bikes.
post #14 of 713

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:03:51 +0000, Gawnsoft wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:52:02 +0100, Nigel Eaton
> <nigele@rcav8r.demon.co.uk> wrote (more or less):
>
>>Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Mark
>><the_mark@hotmail.com> typed

>>>That would be my choice.
>>>
>>>1) It is not dangerous! You are probably more at risk walking on the
>>>pavement.

>>Damned right. You're highly likely to be hit by some loonie on a bicycle
>>for a start.

> While walking on the pavement, you're something like 300 times more
> likely to be hit by a car than to be hit by a bicycle. (in the UK).

Given the number of cars is more then 300 times the number of bikes, you
are more likely to be hit by a specific bike then a specific car.
post #15 of 713

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:15:41 -0700, David wrote:

> I live about 5 miles from a train station where I catch my train to
> work each day. I used to drive my car to the station and park it in
> the car park, but now I often find that the car park is full (even
> very early) and the surrounding areas have parking restrictions.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated!

Can't you just fly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home