air caddy

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:38:31 -0800, czb wrote:

> any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known as
> aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

Seems ok, but a bit convoluted.

Whats wrong with a box from your LBS, a lot of bubble wrap and
FedEx/UPS/Courier of your choice?

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:38:31 -0800, czb wrote:
>
> > any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known

as
> > aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

> Seems ok, but a bit convoluted.
>
> Whats wrong with a box from your LBS, a lot of bubble wrap and
> FedEx/UPS/Courier of your choice?
>
> --
> Matt
>
> Fear of a flat planet

Nothing is wrong with your suggestion. never shipped before, so
looking for good ways to do ii that are economical, practical, and
likely to get bike there safe and sound

czb wrote:
> any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known as
> aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

That thing looks awfully akward. I bought a used Trico Iron Case for
about $150. I ship my bike all over the country through FedEX Ground
and it never costs me more than $45 (bike is 26# and the case is 15#).
My bike fits fine (small frame). The only thing I need to do to prep is
remove the wheels, lower the seatpost, remove the pedals, zip tie the
chain and derraileur (you don't have to, but I do), and loosen the stem
so that the riser lays flat. Everything fits nice and secure between
thick foam and there is even room for your camelbak, helmet, tools,
clothing, and more. It meets UPS standards, Fedex Standards, and
America West and Frontier let it fly free through IMBA (although I
recommend not taking it on a plan because the TSA are the most
destructive organization known to man).

The best part is you can use it over and over again.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

tcmedara wrote:
> czb wrote:
>
>>any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known as
>>aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

> Check this link: http://contebikes.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=197
>
> Get a box from your LBS, pack well, go to FEDEX Ground or UPS. Painless and
> simple. Protect any surfaces that may rub together or you'll lose paint.
>
> Tom

Yeah, a buddy of mine has a similar kit and bag as item #B-1000-00 that
he uses to ship his bike, but he uses UPS as his courier of choice. For
me, I just brought my bike down to LBS and paid forty bucks to have the
bike packed up. I used FedEx as well and was pleased with their
service. For me, I'd rather pay a little bit more just to know my baby
is in good hands. There is nothing like getting to your destination and
finding things like bent spokes and other shite to ruin your day's ride.
Not that it would be a big deal to find a shop to replace broken parts
but who needs the hassle.

Peace.

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious

I like the look of the air caddy because in many cases you don't have to
remove the handlebars, like my MTB the handle bars would fit just fine
without any fiddling around.

Looks like it would be alot easier to set the bike back up.
"Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:38:31 -0800, czb wrote:
>
>> any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known as
>> aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

> Seems ok, but a bit convoluted.
>
> Whats wrong with a box from your LBS, a lot of bubble wrap and
> FedEx/UPS/Courier of your choice?
>
> --
> Matt
>
> Fear of a flat planet

and
> likely to get bike there safe and sound

It's made of cardboard. Get a real case that's lockable and can take a
beating.

czb wrote:
> Matthew Paterson wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:38:31 -0800, czb wrote:
> >
> > > any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging

known
> as
> > > aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)

> > Seems ok, but a bit convoluted.
> >
> > Whats wrong with a box from your LBS, a lot of bubble wrap and
> > FedEx/UPS/Courier of your choice?

> Nothing is wrong with your suggestion. never shipped before, so
> looking for good ways to do ii that are economical, practical, and
> likely to get bike there safe and sound

Best box to ship in is a Cannondale box. They are thicker and stronger
than most other bike boxes. They do require the removal of both wheels
though. They meet UPS specifications and if IIRC, that is printed on
the box somewhere.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:35:00 -1000, jack wrote:

> It's made of cardboard. Get a real case that's lockable and can take a
> beating.

Well my bike made it from Glasgow (UK) to Philidelphia (USA), change of
plane where I had to transfer it, then onto SFO, and all the way back from
SFO to Phili to GLA.

And it was in a normal bike box, taped up with some padding inside. And it
survived fine.

I have also sent 3 frames via Royal Mail in the UK in bike boxes from the
LBS, taped up with some padding and have all been fine.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:51:07 -0500, Dave wrote:

> For me, I just brought my bike down to LBS and paid forty bucks to
> have the bike packed up. For me, I'd rather pay a little bit more just
> to know my baby is in good hands. There is nothing like getting to
> your destination and finding things like bent spokes and other shite to
> ruin your day's ride.

$40! We're not all Donald Trump :)

I would rather pack it myself anyway, so i know its done right. You dont
know whos packed it at the LBS, could be that summer job kid who doesnt
give a ****.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:51:07 -0500, Dave wrote:
>

>> For me, I just brought my bike down to LBS and paid forty bucks to
>> have the bike packed up. For me, I'd rather pay a little bit more just
>> to know my baby is in good hands. There is nothing like getting to
>> your destination and finding things like bent spokes and other shite to
>> ruin your day's ride.
>>

>$40! We're not all Donald Trump :)
>
>I would rather pack it myself anyway, so i know its done right. You dont
>know whos packed it at the LBS, could be that summer job kid who doesnt
>give a ****.

True, but there are only four people at the shop I go to and they are
all half my size... j/k! They are cool guys and I have been a customer
for some time now so I have a good relationship with them. I'm not a
Donald Trump by any means. I'm frugal with some things but not with
others.

I subscribe to Budget Travel so I can't be that bad, can I? Plus, short
arms and deep pockets has been the story of most of my life - the part
of my life when I had pockets, anyway! ;)

Peace.

--

jack wrote:
> and
>
>>likely to get bike there safe and sound
>>

> It's made of cardboard. Get a real case that's lockable and can take a
> beating.

well, it seems to work for every bike shipped to every bike shop.

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> czb wrote:
>
>> any experience w shipping m bikes using the service/packaging known as
>> aircaddy? (http://www.aircaddy.com/instructions-details.shtml)
>>

> That thing looks awfully akward. I bought a used Trico Iron Case for
> about $150. I ship my bike all over the country through FedEX Ground
> and it never costs me more than $45 (bike is 26# and the case is 15#).
> My bike fits fine (small frame). The only thing I need to do to prep is
> remove the wheels, lower the seatpost, remove the pedals, zip tie the
> chain and derraileur (you don't have to, but I do), and loosen the stem
> so that the riser lays flat. Everything fits nice and secure between
> thick foam and there is even room for your camelbak, helmet, tools,
> clothing, and more. It meets UPS standards, Fedex Standards, and
> America West and Frontier let it fly free through IMBA (although I
> recommend not taking it on a plan because the TSA are the most
> destructive organization known to man).
>
> The best part is you can use it over and over again.

I've had one of those too. It did the trick but I thought it was pretty
awkward to wheel around. Why didn't they make it wheel on it's corner
like a suitcase? If I had to start traveling a lot again I'd look into
others that aren't quite as awkward. That being said it protected my
bike on a bunch of trips.

For anyone shipping a bike - be sure to use spacers if you remove the
wheels. The most likely stress you can't pad as easily for is being
crushed.

Matt

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:48:52 -0500, Dave wrote:

> True, but there are only four people at the shop I go to and they are
> all half my size... j/k! They are cool guys and I have been a customer
> for some time now so I have a good relationship with them.

Well thats good you have a solid relationship with your LBS. I have a
familiarity with the main guys at mine, but there is always some new kid
running about who I dont know.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Per kantspel:
>well, it seems to work for every bike shipped to every bike shop.

It might work for airline baggage too...but having been a baggage masher at
Honoruru International Airport for a couple of years, I'd opine that the
situation with airline luggage is significantly different from FedEx, UPS, or
any of the many other package delivery and trucking firms.

How the stuff is treated is different, the conditions under which it is
transported are different, and accountability is vastly different.
--
PeteCresswell